DIY Hobo Prospecting Tools under $10

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gcause

Professional Life Liver
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A lot of people are doing it tough these days, theres a lot of people unemployed and finding it hard to make ends meet :(

So I thought we could give them a helping hand and start a fun and challenging topic on DIY Hobo Prospecting Tools under $10. :)

These are tools that you can make out of common everyday items you might find in a dumpster, rubbish tip or bin or anywhere else that discards unwanted materials i.e a building site for off cuts, etc.

Here is my first contribution its a sand scoop that can be made in 5 minutes out of an empty milk bottle container using a pair of scissors or a pocket knife:

1412686221_img_0521.png

1412686221_img_0522.png

1412686221_img_0523.png

It would probably only work on the soft sand but if that gets someone a few one or two dollar coins or even a gold ring for a meal then its worth it.

A 3 litre bottle may work better as it has slightly thicker plastic and may even work in the wet sand. :D

So heres the challenge for the rest of you that hopefully might end up helping those less fortunate than us who don't have a lot to get a start in this great hobby of ours and help them make a living finding coins at the beach or even a gold ring or nugget or two crevicing or panning.

What low (under $10) / no cost prospecting tools could you make out of the scraps and rubbish around your house?

Please note: The Hobo reference is totally aimed at the low budget used to make these items and not meant in a derogatory fashion at all.

That's a classic video, great simple invention anyone can build and I love that Grandpa realises that he's reached his peak so it's time to retire, that's gold right there :lol:
Good stuff :)

Grandpa's gold show is a great YouTube series especially for diy, anyone who hasn't seen it get on it. Oh Here's some plastic fittings I found out the front of a house haha.

Latest posts