Disappointing moment

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Next1m8

Chris
Reaction score
Got home from a dig today maiden voyage of the high banker after modifying it and test with the pump and my partner<- edit, smashed my gold vial and it went every where hmm bugger

that blows mate..

I had a similar experience when I had some fine gold in my small finishing pan drying in the sun on the back deck........my daughter saw the pan and thought she could use it for something and the end result was my fine gold ending up in the back lawn somewhere...was not much but enough to make me want to cry 8.(

Yep, I did a similar thing.

Here's a post I put up some time ago under the heading "I done a Todd Hoffman"

Yes, I admit I've done a Todd! :eek:
I put a vile of flower gold with some pickers in my work bag to show some guys at work who didn't believe I was a prospector and I was getting gold.
When I got to work and searched in the bag, full of junk, all I could find was the lid with the broken neck attached.
Most of it was in the bag but some had fallen through a small hole in the corner.
The next problem was how to get it back :(
I decided the best option was to use my cordless vacuum and forensically clean the inside of the bag and also the passengers seat in the car where it normally travels and the floor under my bench at work.
Now my bag is normally under my bench at work and I do a lot of cutting and grinding and drilling so consequently the bag had a lot of metal in there, steel, aluminium and stainless which I didn't know about until I had to pan the contents out.
Anyway after the headache of panning it out I found the hardest thing to separate flower gold from is stainless steel chips.
What a nightmare! Much harder than black sand.
I got most of the gold back and it was the best clean up I have ever had! :D
There must be a moral there somewhere! :rolleyes:
Cheers
Mick

That's a bit of a bugger MJB, & mick sad story mate hearing of anyone loosing gold (hard earned) really sucks. But I've learnt my lesson I'm cleaning up today's results now just finished classifying my cons then having a smoke break and going to write my report on the high banker then I'll upload some pictures of what I got today all fine stuff however it is yellow and this time it's going in the plastic peanut butter jar I cleaned out

Hydrochloric Acid, 33%
Mop the floor with damp paper towel, then chuck it in a plastic container with the Acid, put it somewhere no one can get to it, and leave it be for some time, couple of weekly shakes to stir it up and after sometime you'll only be left with the gold, worked for me when I dropped my vial on the tile floor, 'tiles' being the key word!
Just in case the 'Dooie Doo Gooders' jump up and down for a mandatory sook fest in regards to Acid use!!!
Follow recomend safety procedures for use and handling of Acids :)

It really does Chewy I was a bit devistated I mean I've been doing it six months now and I had two vials with different sized gold. But decided to put them together in the one so I could use the other for garnets and yeah when I got the call I just felt as if I'd done the last several months for nothing I was getting up there with my amount to.. Heart break moment, but I done ok today so I'll stay optimistic. However nearly didn't make it out with my car so waiting for dryer days before I head back out, I'll get the pyrite ore/shale/slate I threw on the bank but just won't drive down there

I might have to come over that way for a look one day, just got myself 4wd and I'm itching to find some gold. Have been mainly detecting around Marybough. Might be time to check out some different ground methinks.

If you do come over, do you have a big crow bar? We can move this Boulder in my spot and dig deeper I know it wouldn't have been touched in over 100 years we'll find nice nuggets under there

Next1m8 said:
If you do come over, do you have a big crow bar? We can move this Boulder in my spot and dig deeper I know it wouldn't have been touched in over 100 years we'll find nice nuggets under there
Yeah I think I have 1 in shed.

Bugger next1m8, but hey, at least you're getting gold to start with. Be worse after all that effort not seeing any colour?

Next1m8 said:
I'll get a 6ft one this weekend been a bit compulsive buying of late
Hahaha yep, me to. Compulsive buying......5k, pin pointer, hi banker. Pump, 4wd, pick, hat, jumper, miners wheel. You name it I've bought it lately, but now the cash is no longer in my life which is sad.....I gotta get a job and earn some money.

Latest posts