Digital Radio - Regional coverage???

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Today's rant begins. Can some-one please explain when the regions will get digital radio coverage? Lets take for example three 'regional' cities. Ballarat, Geelong and Bendigo and all the places in between - probably more people than Tasmania, ACT and the NT combined. No coverage. I keep getting a default message 'Please contact your local Federal member ' from http://www.digitalradioplus.com.au/

Yes, I can get digital radio through my telly (ABC and SBS) (side rant - recent floods and bushfires around here - everything was very patchy. Sat watching the fires in the distance over summer while the ABC emergency channel 'froze'.)

Yes, I can get digital through my lap-top. Wi-fi gets patchy.

BUT, how is a bloke supposed to sit outside, form guide and Best Bets in hand but with no RSN or SEN to listen to the gee gees without humping a lap-top around with very patchy wi-fi??? and then flick over and listen to the footy because I hate/despise/loath commercial TV commentators. (side rant - expert?! comment along the lines of 'the back-line has to lift or they will lose' - no really? Cheers for that stooges)

Anyway - to summarise:

A big population area in Australia gets zilch.
No racing/footy digital coverage.
Reliant on dodgy wi-fi.

Bring on the Revolution. Rant ends.

and it just gets better. try finding the Collingwood versus Essendon VFL game live from Victoria Park today on iview on ABC Melbourne.

All so true, 1071 plays ok music, but football coverage limited.
I used to work with Rex #unt and will not listen to him, so rely on the internet, which can be patchy.
Been meaning to build an FM antennae for a while, that will keep Mrs Redfin happy,
but I mostly listen to AM.
I'm home this arvo to watch the Boners then take off into 1071 land in the morning.

Loamer,

Last time I was in VIC I caravanned at Avoca, Stuart Mill and Dunolly. My van antenna could not pick up Ch 7 in Avoca and I had the same at other places with various channels.

The only option I know is;

When I go further out or perhaps indeed on my next trip to VIC, I'll bring the portable satellite dish and my Vast box. Can't remember the exact figure, but all commercial, ABS and SBS "Digital TV" stations from all over Aust including regional over 100 of em. Radio, I think it's about 60 or so, incl BBC.

One advantage is, that if I want to go out for tea, have a couple of beers and get back to camp after a program has aired, I can tune into W.A. channels as they are several hours behind the rest of the country. Saves taking a recorder.

The other good thing re Satellite Digital is;

When the Cricket is on at the Adelaide Oval, unless it's a sell out, it's not televised locally. I have been known to set the dish up in the back garden and watch it on Imparja.

;)

I hear ya!...
But I don't get much normal radio rep. Too, And it's the ABC that's hard to get!
A pollie could win a few votes if he built some more stations, can't stand commercial ones.
How expensive is it to fix?

Bugger, all I got today in Dunolly when I arrived was the Pies getting absolutely flogged by the Eagles.
While that pleases me no end, I don't really want to listen to it,
So on with the stereo, 10cc anthology, loud, with another log on the fire.
Grouse.
Hic.

Redfin said:
Bugger, all I got today in Dunolly when I arrived was the Pies getting absolutely flogged by the Eagles.
While that pleases me no end, I don't really want to listen to it,
So on with the stereo, 10cc anthology, loud, with another log on the fire.
Grouse.
Hic.

Two things you will never find in WA, Lasseters Reef or a friggin free kick. Secondly, cheers Port Poo Er for giving us your dreaded disease and now we have half a quarantined club and possibly, just possibly be playing whats left of the magoos team next week. WA and SA - right up there with QLD.

Pretty shaky. Glad I worked or my mood would have escalated to that notch or two above outright anger. Done my quad bet too, should keep loyalties out. The cats win and we get thumped. Seasons end cannot come fast enough to end the misery. Put the twos in couldn't get any worse.....

Penned my final email reply to the Minister. Sick of getting 'part of regional development, competing priorities, etc etc' responses. Sooo - flicked off this one. Response thus far? Tumble weed tumble weed.

My Dear Minister,
In am writing a final reply to you after a series of lengthy emails discussions between myself and some minor functionaries who are performing minion duties within your office. This matter continues to relate to my displeasure with being unable to obtain any digital radio coverage within Regional Victoria ( I have used proper nouns to indicate it is by all accounts a pretty important place both in the economics of Australia, having a greater contribution of GDP than some states and territories but I digress.)
To highlight my displeasure with the lack of immediate construction of the digital radio infra-structure required, and after all you are the infrastructure government (not a proper noun because you dont deserve one), I have decided after a vote of the residents of my property to secede, yes, secede from the Commonwealth of Australia and therefore by default, the Great State of Victoria. I might add, both the Commonwealth and the State of Victoria were created, yes created, by Acts of the Parliament of the UK, which I might add does not have a constitution, and remains a ramshackle neo-colonial wanna be - but I digress yet again.
The vote consisted of myself, Max The Wonder Dog, Chooks 1 to 15, Rooster the Rooter, the 20 sheep the neighbor has on my top paddocks (why them? Because on your silly national census night I have to count visitors, so fairs fair the sheep count as residents.), Presti the Magpie and the two chicks he is giving the good news to, Maggie the Magpie and Marge the Magpie. As I was going through a dry patch on the week-end vis a vis visiting old boilers, I cannot count them but I may get lucky this week-end a few Melbourne Bitters down the Newie on a Saturday night should do the trick) .
My new country will be gazetted as the Peoples Republic of Magpie, a single representative chamber, comprising myself, President for Life, Max the Wonder Dog and Rooster the Rooter. As with all great dictatorships I however get the final vote and power of veto on all things.
To summarize I have created this Republic, and you as the previous head of the Australian Republican Movement would appreciate a Republic, because of the following reasons.
1. No digital radio coverage no confidence in your ability to provide one. I cant do it either, but hey, I can issue my own stamps, money and passports now.
2. I cant pick up the gallops or the footy.
3. Collingwood are getting stiffed in the AFL.
4. I missed the TAB quaddy on the weekend.
Best wishes to you and the rest of the bourgeoisie and other assorted gentry. If things keep going bad for the government, I am willing to offer you residency how good are you at raking mullock heaps?

loamer said:
Penned my final email reply to the Minister. Sick of getting 'part of regional development, competing priorities, etc etc' responses. Sooo - flicked off this one. Response thus far? Tumble weed tumble weed.

My Dear Minister,
In am writing a final reply to you after a series of lengthy emails discussions between myself and some minor functionaries who are performing minion duties within your office. This matter continues to relate to my displeasure with being unable to obtain any digital radio coverage within Regional Victoria ( I have used proper nouns to indicate it is by all accounts a pretty important place both in the economics of Australia, having a greater contribution of GDP than some states and territories but I digress.)
To highlight my displeasure with the lack of immediate construction of the digital radio infra-structure required, and after all you are the infrastructure government (not a proper noun because you dont deserve one), I have decided after a vote of the residents of my property to secede, yes, secede from the Commonwealth of Australia and therefore by default, the Great State of Victoria. I might add, both the Commonwealth and the State of Victoria were created, yes created, by Acts of the Parliament of the UK, which I might add does not have a constitution, and remains a ramshackle neo-colonial wanna be - but I digress yet again.
The vote consisted of myself, Max The Wonder Dog, Chooks 1 to 15, Rooster the Rooter, the 20 sheep the neighbor has on my top paddocks (why them? Because on your silly national census night I have to count visitors, so fairs fair the sheep count as residents.), Presti the Magpie and the two chicks he is giving the good news to, Maggie the Magpie and Marge the Magpie. As I was going through a dry patch on the week-end vis a vis visiting old boilers, I cannot count them but I may get lucky this week-end a few Melbourne Bitters down the Newie on a Saturday night should do the trick) .
My new country will be gazetted as the Peoples Republic of Magpie, a single representative chamber, comprising myself, President for Life, Max the Wonder Dog and Rooster the Rooter. As with all great dictatorships I however get the final vote and power of veto on all things.
To summarize I have created this Republic, and you as the previous head of the Australian Republican Movement would appreciate a Republic, because of the following reasons.
1. No digital radio coverage no confidence in your ability to provide one. I cant do it either, but hey, I can issue my own stamps, money and passports now.
2. I cant pick up the gallops or the footy.
3. Collingwood are getting stiffed in the AFL.
4. I missed the TAB quaddy on the weekend.
Best wishes to you and the rest of the bourgeoisie and other assorted gentry. If things keep going bad for the government, I am willing to offer you residency how good are you at raking mullock heaps?

I LOVE IT - Sarcasm personified and appropriate.

Further to my ongoing email correspondence with the Minister, I received and auto-reply to my latest epistle 'you email dated......has been noted....and will be actioned....' etc etc etc. This has caused me to fire off this new one.

Dear auto-response email device,

I would have thought that communications with the Leader of a Sovereign power would have at least warranted a more personal response. I imagined that the hard-working PUBLIC SERVANTS in Canberra would be working 24/7, but I guess you are all too busy sitting at home, quaffing your Chteau d'Yquem '54 to bother. Perhaps you don't see the irony? A Communications department that has an out of office auto response? Should I, as an independent nation, be directing my enquiries to DFAT?

Anyhoo, as they now say, I thought I would take this opportunity to update you on our new nation's progress. I have the grand-kids (who I might add have each been given a role in Government - the youngest has declared himself Minister of Poo Poo) designing our new stamps and money. Given their ages, there seems to be an overwhelming design criteria they have a likeness for that involves, Barbie, Hello Kitty, Lego people, One Direction, a number of Collingwood players (I have deemed Cloke is an over-paid stooge and have banned him from any stamp issues), odd looking squiggles, home-made apricot jam random smears from the youngest. I have contributed a couple of photos of the dog's bum just to add some controversy.

But I digress - we are having a huge Grand Final Day shindig (the pies won't make it so no MCG for me this year) - probably be in excess of 60 people plus kids and dogs and mates etc and the Minister is more than welcome to attend. There is no place to land your VIP jets around here so if he can get the VLine train to Maryborough I can pick him up in the ute. Sorry to say - its all one class and they can be very snarly people running the train (possibly a bit peeved at no digital radio). Got a couple of beasts hooked up ready to be cremated, a couple of kegs, some wine coolers for the lovely older ladies who will turn up (Yeah baby) and other assorted nonsense drinks. If the Minister wants to BYO, the Safeway (I refuse to call it the rebadged Woolworths) at Maryborough has a fine beer selection, I believe the VB 2014 is quite nice.

Tell the Immigration Minister that if he rocks up without an invite, I shall be forced to chuck him in the back of the ute and shift him over to the neighbours place and lock him in the chook shed, all for 'his own protection' of course. Once I have deemed him as a free loader, its back on the Maryborough to Ballarat train for him - the VLine staff can deal with that nonsense.

Anyway - good luck with everything. Hope the new Knighthoods are going well.

loamer said:
Further to my ongoing email correspondence with the Minister, I received and auto-reply to my latest epistle 'you email dated......has been noted....and will be actioned....' etc etc etc. This has caused me to fire off this new one.

I would have thought that communications with the Leader of a Sovereign power would have at least warranted a more personal response. I imagined that the hard-working PUBLIC SERVANTS in Canberra would be working 24/7, but I guess you are all too busy sitting at home, quaffing your Chteau d'Yquem '54 to bother. Perhaps you don't see the irony? A Communications department that has an out of office auto response? Should I, as an independent nation, be directing my enquiries to DFAT?

Anyhoo, as they now say, I thought I would take this opportunity to update you on our new nation's progress. I have the grand-kids (who I might add have each been given a role in Government - the youngest has declared himself Minister of Poo Poo) designing our new stamps and money. Given their ages, there seems to be an overwhelming design criteria they have a likeness for that involves, Barbie, Hello Kitty, Lego people, One Direction, a number of Collingwood players (I have deemed Cloke is an over-paid stooge and have banned him from any stamp issues), odd looking squiggles, home-made apricot jam random smears from the youngest. I have contributed a couple of photos of the dog's bum just to add some controversy.

But I digress - we are having a huge Grand Final Day shindig (the pies won't make it so no MCG for me this year) - probably be in excess of 60 people plus kids and dogs and mates etc and the Minister is more than welcome to attend. There is no place to land your VIP jets around here so if he can get the VLine train to Maryborough I can pick him up in the ute. Sorry to say - its all one class and they can be very snarly people running the train (possibly a bit peeved at no digital radio). Got a couple of beasts hooked up ready to be cremated, a couple of kegs, some wine coolers for the lovely older ladies who will turn up (Yeah baby) and other assorted nonsense drinks. If the Minister wants to BYO, the Safeway (I refuse to call it the rebadged Woolworths) at Maryborough has a fine beer selection, I believe the VB 2014 is quite nice.

Tell the Immigration Minister that if he rocks up without an invite, I shall be forced to chuck him in the back of the ute and shift him over to the neighbours place and lock him in the chook shed, all for 'his own protection' of course. Once I have deemed him as a free loader, its back on the Maryborough to Ballarat train for him - the VLine staff can deal with that nonsense.

Hey Loamer
Don't blame me ! I voted for the Pizza Party

Bahahaha. What a bloody good laugh. And Cloke is an overpaid stooge. Please advise details of where I can apply for residency, as always your humble servant GT. Oh and before I forget I have two decades of raking experience under my belt if it favours my application. :D

GT - Hockey and his 'poor don't drive' comments are the next cab off the rank,but they will be 100% political and therefore unable to be posted on the forum. Bit of fun with Turnbull doesn't hurt - nice bloke actually. Just a hint as to what Hockey,stooges, et al will cop - 'please advise if my re-activated horse and buggy will be subject to GST and in that case can I pay my GST in kind - like send you a pile of horse droppings?" , and 'whilst crawling to Bendigo Hospital the other day for my treatment [as I am poor, I don't drive], i noticed a nasty pot-hole on the road - please get this fixed for the rich people'. etc etc

President for Life Loamer

(I intend to request Diplomatic Recognition from the Hutt River Province in WA- now THAT will be a fun series of letters. )

loamer said:
GT - Hockey and his 'poor don't drive' comments are the next cab off the rank,but they will be 100% political and therefore unable to be posted on the forum. Bit of fun with Turnbull doesn't hurt - nice bloke actually. Just a hint as to what Hockey,stooges, et al will cop - 'please advise if my re-activated horse and buggy will be subject to GST and in that case can I pay my GST in kind - like send you a pile of horse droppings?" , and 'whilst crawling to Bendigo Hospital the other day for my treatment [as I am poor, I don't drive], i noticed a nasty pot-hole on the road - please get this fixed for the rich people'. etc etc

President for Life Loamer

(I intend to request Diplomatic Recognition from the Hutt River Province in WA- now THAT will be a fun series of letters. )

Dear President, FYI The fuel excise is what is charged on the product a car is fuelled with, ergo the hay you feed your horse. However, one could assume that the Carbon Tax may be applied to a vehicles exhaust emissions, ergo the horse droppings.

Also save yourself the crawl to Bendigo you can't get near to any hospital these days because of all the Ramped ambulances and even if you could they won't have a bed for you. Might I suggest contacting an African nation for alternative medical professionals, I believe some tribal witch doctors will treat you for a chicken, which you have already stated you have an abundance of.

PS I may need to seek political asylum in your recently proclaimed nation, so is there water access for me to launch a boat?

Ryan27 said:
loamer said:

Hey Loamer
Don't blame me ! I voted for the Pizza Party

Me either, I voted for Shooters party.
Karl

Latest posts