Digging tool information

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave14110

David Gothard
Reaction score
Hi all, This is something for thought.
Recently I decided to get something better to dig turf, now most of you will say the Lesche digging tool or the digging tool made by Garrett. I looked at both these then decided against them for one reason. They look to much like a knife. I don't like been Questioned by law neither do I want people getting frightened thinking I'm pulling a knife. I don't want kids to be frightened or their parent's calling police cause someones in the park with a knife.
Recently Bunning's have got a Planter Pal it is clearly a garden trowel but has sharp sides, it also has little indents going up centre that can be used as depth gauge.
Only my opinion but these work very well don't resemble a knife & best of all it only cost me $5.

I've seen the Garrett tool & lesche tool, My opinion they both resemble a knife. Besides the item I have mentioned is only $5 & can be purchased at any Bunning's.

$5 digging tool sounds good, did you check out the treasure trowel? It looks nothing like a knife.

Yes I have seen these. Call me tight but that garrett tool I would not buy. It's just a piece of angle flatened on one end with a piece of condue on it. Sorry I relize you are a dealer but I for one can't afford to spend money when unessary. I also relize many other's are in the same boat as me so the more suggestion's to save money the better.

I totally understand, I thought you were thinking I linked to Garretts version of the Lesche tool, was just making sure we were talking about the same tool. I'm not a dealer, just a user like yourself :)

Oh , Sorry Yes I did think you were a dealer. I have seen a lot of digging tools and most if you get a nasty copper (Police Officer) could classified them as a weapon. The tool I am relating to doesn't. At present I am on sickness benifits & having another OP on Thursday. With 5 kids lets just say it's a struggle. I am in a prospecting clud & I know quite a few people on a pension & even in there eighties nearly ninties that are still try to detect.
I brought this up mainly because it is extremly cheap effective & most major towns in Oz have a Bunning's so these are a little easier to get also. Not every town has a metal detecting shop.
The fact about most other tools looking like Knifes was mentioned to me by someone else & unfortunatly it is true.
I was a little reluctant at first to bring this up as I didn't want to upset the dealers.
But after a small think, thought it would benifit people more than the one or two dealers that I may upset.
Hopefully they can understand where I come from & if not that's tuff.

Hey no worries and don't worry too much about upsetting the dealers, this site was set up for the users. Of course dealers are more than welcome but the aim is to keep the forum as brand neutral as possible.

Good luck with your OP on Thursday mate.

Thanks Nugget Hopefully they can fix it this time. I am 45 in an eighty year old body.
Yes couldn't agree with you more. That's why I wanted people to know about this tool & some people are even selling them as detecting tool on Ebay charging $10 or more + postage of about $7. Making this $5 bunning's tool cost about $17
Have a look they are called Planter's Pal made by true temper.

I actually work at Bunnings and there are heaps of different types of scoops that could do the job.

Mate this particular tool was design for cutting coins out of turf reserves parks etc The company that designed them just doesn't know it yet.

20qz66d.jpg

What about something like this, awesome for digging plugs

Yep well out of my budget and not as easy to get as my choice. My choice tool is available at Bunning's & is only $5.00 it does a great job on small turf holes.
It was for that reseaon I put this up but many people have come up with lots of other great tools also but I don't believe any can match this Tool for availability and price.
However thanks for input.
Conclusion to those still looking Planter's Pal available at bunnings for $5 made by True Temper.

No but they do have plastic scoop's also. the one I mentioned above is great for cutting plugs in turf. It is Planters Pal made by True temper it is metal with a red plastic handle, people have been listing these on ebay as metal detecting scoops some start at $5 some at $10 plus postage but they are available at Bunnings for $5.
They also sell the cyclone plastic shovel which is great for the beach. less bending

Hi all I've just been given by family and friends some assorted tools to assist in my new passion.

1361512161_image.jpg

I have used them all now and thought the rest might like a review on them. Here we go

All bought from Bunnings

All tools were used in both sandy loam and up the farm on, well concrete.

Performance I have graded 1 to 10 1 being poor 10 great

1. Plastic scoop
Cost approx $6.00

1361512335_image.jpg

Sand 10
Good growing soil 7
Farm concrete 2

Great for waving arrows the coil for checks

2. Stainless wide mouth timber handle hand shovel
Cost approx $9.00

1361512411_image.jpg

Sand 5
Good growing soil 7
Farm concrete 6

Good all round

3. Stainless Narrow timber handle mouth shovel
Cost approx $9.00

1361512503_image.jpg

Sand 1
Good growing soil 3
Farm concrete 3

Good once the grass was removed
Depth gauge on blade

4. Stainless Stainless medium mouth plastic handle shovel
Cost approx $5.00

1361512570_image.jpg

Sand 3
Good growing soil 7
Farm concrete 6

Great sturdy strong fork in end a little pain
Depth gauge on blade

5. Stainless very narrow timber handle garden aid
Cost $8.00

1361512639_image.jpg

Sand 2
Good growing soil 2
Farm concrete 1

bent real easy and I had to weld up the forked end, gave me the poo's when it collected the grass in it.
Depth gauge on blade

Hope this may help a newbie or season pro cheers :cool:

Before I got the Lesche I used a 32mm chisel I bought from bunnings. I then sharpened the length to be knife-like and it was great, cut really neat plugs. Lesche is better because it cuts the roots and soil. The red handled one you showed the pics of should be the best of the bunch.

Latest posts