Digging in banks

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldrocs

Dave
Reaction score
Guys a few of the locals are getting a bit pissed off with fossickers digging into the bank up at limestone creek,I had a look at the holes yesterday and they have all the right in the world,the spot they are talking about will get undermined in the next storm event and bring down a lot of trees,let's do the right thing leave the banks of the creek alone.....
Cheers G R.....

there are some big holes under two trees that have been there for over 12 months

whoever did it doesnt have a very high value on self preservation because they have tunnelled under at least 50 % of the root ball meaning the tree could fall at any time

if the tree falls and kills someone is the digger going to be liable for manslaughter charges ?

Good story down this way about an oldtimer who wasnt seen for a while. When locals went out to his claim they found him buried under a collapsed undercut bank

Goldrocs said:
Guys a few of the locals are getting a bit pissed off with fossickers digging into the bank up at limestone creek,I had a look at the holes yesterday and they have all the right in the world,the spot they are talking about will get undermined in the next storm event and bring down a lot of trees,let's do the right thing leave the banks of the creek alone.....
Cheers G R.....

!00% agree

Cheers

Barry

I pointed out about the conspicuous holes dug down by Jim Crow creek,this type of damage will close us all up,just like those who leave holes open

The Digger

I see people up here doing the same thing!
The hole was started by some one else then they have a lil go at it next week some one else tries it . Before long theres a huge hole cut into bank....i told them they wont find gold there! Reply: Well some one has look at the extent of the hole...pfff. When it floods here which is frequently minimum rise is 10 metres average is around 20 metres. To be honest the flooding changes the area completly ive seen 100tonne plus material get pickup and deposited 50 mile down stream. What trees are left are laying sideways covered in silt.
2000 weekend fossickers couldnt do that sort of damage in a whole year. :lol:

This made Atom rat and I bit uneasy the other day. Nature at work.
1414575418_image.jpg

That's the go, I just wanna make a LARGE withdrawal. I like Stocktaking too, filled up a whole truck. :p

All clever jokes about banks aside, are there any ideas on smart ways to try to convince the stubborn few to leave the banks alone?

Floods certainly change and restore things but stuff like this is not helpful in terms of community relations, especially if locals are cranky about it.

Happy digging...in the right place.

People do what they like and stuff it for everyone else. Years back here in Vic when dredging was legal there was an idiot dredging the Loddon River above Newstead.
He was told not to touch the banks or undercut them. One of the landowners where the river ran through his property had planted poplar tree,s to stop bank erosion on the river bend on his land. The bloke dredging reckoned good gold was under the bank corner and so poisoned the trees and cut in the bank. He was eventually stopped and caught. This bloke too was a high profile well known dredger in those days but was as greedy for gold as they come. I unfortunately knew him, but no longer want to know him, and did meet the landowners neighbour who told me the tale and why he wouldn't let me or anyone else on the property.
Its just like with detecting where I have been told I cannot go back on a property because some other idiot left holes open.
You would be surprised how many so called good blokes in the game who live on the goldfields moonlight, without permission and know the landowner wont give it, and go where they want to. Iv lived on the fields for a few decades now and know very few that don't brake all the rules to get gold. A reason why I have very little to do with the prospectors in central Vic.

Jon said:
People do what they like and stuff it for everyone else. Years back here in Vic when dredging was legal there was an idiot dredging the Loddon River above Newstead.
He was told not to touch the banks or undercut them. One of the landowners where the river ran through his property had planted poplar tree,s to stop bank erosion on the river bend on his land. The bloke dredging reckoned good gold was under the bank corner and so poisoned the trees and cut in the bank. He was eventually stopped and caught. This bloke too was a high profile well known dredger in those days but was as greedy for gold as they come. I unfortunately knew him, but no longer want to know him, and did meet the landowners neighbour who told me the tale and why he wouldn't let me or anyone else on the property.
Its just like with detecting where I have been told I cannot go back on a property because some other idiot left holes open.
You would be surprised how many so called good blokes in the game who live on the goldfields moonlight, without permission and know the landowner wont give it, and go where they want to. Iv lived on the fields for a few decades now and know very few that don't brake all the rules to get gold. A reason why I have very little to do with the prospectors in central Vic.

Very sad that otherwise good blokes will do the wrong thing in their greed for gold and the money that comes with it. 8.(

Latest posts