Diamond tipped crowbar..?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quest for Infamy? Never seen them in real life. Diamond tips are used for cutting drilling etc. Bash them and they'll smash.
Jon

There's no such thing as a stupid question in my book. But if you find one I'd be interested.
Jon

one of these might work better lol

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/post.php?tid=12706#
1436929139_korean_type_hmb850_hydrauli.jpg

blisters said:
There's no such thing as a stupid question in my book. But if you find one I'd be interested.
Jon

That should read... if you found a diamond tipped crowbar I'd be interested, not if you found a stupid question :lol:
Jon

Never heard of one, would think someone would make a tungsten carbide tipped one somewhere but havnt seen one.
Otherwise just good old forged steel is probably the go.
Have you found a corrundum boulder or something that you want to shift Atomrat? :D

AtomRat said:
Is there such a thing as a diamond tipped crowbar? As in a 6 foot iron bar with a flat chisel end that's diamond coated. If so, where can I get one or similar
Hi, Best thing for crowbar is torshan bars from old motor cars or if you can find a tail shaft from t model ford [hens teeth] get a blacksmith to draw them out to the point or flat, the steel is the best you can find,very hi quality, Ron.

Lol @ blue wanderer, mostly for breaking into a very hard concrete conglomerate which contains a lot of sapphire yes.

I'm a blacksmith myself, making a hardened crowbar and tip is the easy bit but was just wondering if there was a stronger one to last a bit longer.

Tungsten is far to brittle to use on a crowbar either, we use tungsten faced bits at work, drop it and it just shatters, our diamond bits are the same, although they are in a matrix, they still don't like being dropped.

I would have thought the harder the bar the more likely it will shatter, where as a softer metal will deform but not break as easy, dunno I could be wrong though.

Torsion bar out of either a Toyota 2wd or 4Runner comes to mind. :) :)
There was a time when I needed one at Tuena.

bluejeansronald said:
AtomRat said:
Is there such a thing as a diamond tipped crowbar? As in a 6 foot iron bar with a flat chisel end that's diamond coated. If so, where can I get one or similar
Hi, Best thing for crowbar is torshan bars from old motor cars or if you can find a tail shaft from t model ford [hens teeth] get a blacksmith to draw them out to the point or flat, the steel is the best you can find,very hi quality, Ron.

AtomRat said:
If you are in northern suburbs of Melbourne (Thomastown) I could pop a bit of cobalt based alloy on the tip of your crowbar. No charge. Ken.

Its a fine line between to hard and hard enough , if you want something real hard glow it in the forge then dunk it in sump oil and the carbon in the sump oil will harden it , but that will be to strike brittle for a bar. I glow the bar then work the shape with a hammer and anvil and dunk it in water after it goes a full grey. Get it wrong and the tip will break ,better to soft then to hard .

Latest posts