Detector for trashy ground

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have access to some farm land not too far from known goldfields here in sa and have had the gpx out for a few swings but it's pretty hopeless with the amount of trash on this property. If I'm hunting for a new patch in undetected ground would there be a good detector to use to discriminate the trash. Depth probably isn't too important at this stage anyway but would be nice to cover some ground a little more efficiently. Any suggestions? Cheers

The Garrett AT Pro has an excellent and easy to use discrimination system, with good tonal feedback to support the numeric target ID display. If you need to notch out particular target signals, that's easily done too. I find that similar systems on other detector makes/models can be quite baffling to set up/adjust in the field, whereas the Garrett touchpad buttons make it very easy. The AT Pro isn't lacking in depth or sensitivity either and the lightweight, waterproof packaging is an added bonus.
1450583312_garrett-at-pro-international.jpg

For trashy area work, I'd highly recommend the AT's little 5.5" x 8.5" coil too - it's lightweight, pinpoints easily and despite its size, goes surprisingly deep.

I have tried many vlf detectors over the years with no success in the same situation that you have described, one thing I found depth is important .At the moment I am using the GPX WITH A 11 dd but tomorrow I think I will put the 14 DD on ,because I am near power lines I am using cancel running in deep and a few other changed settings but if there are no power lines where you are just use normal setting ,another worth trying is running a smaller DD say a 10x5 minelab they are quiet good regards john :)

I agree with Grubstake, The AT Pro is a great little unit, I would also add to that the Makro Gold Racer and the Nokta Fors Gold Plus, And Fisher has the F75, there are others but I think any of these will do the job,

Good luck,, John

Depends on how much you want to spend nuggetino, the CTX3030 is superb in trashy ground as is the Etrac, if you don't want to spend that much then as Grubsteak mentioned, the AT Pro should do very nicely.

Thanks for the help. I'm really liking the display on the AT gold Grubstake is it a detector you own? If so have you had many finds? The CTX3030 is an amazing machine Heatho and had the privilege of seeing one in action up in Clermont but a bit to pricey as a second detector.

Ridge Runner, makes life difficult having so many options I guess I'll just go with what looks best on paper. If they'll all do the job I can't go too wrong.

old hand said:
I have tried many vlf detectors over the years with no success in the same situation that you have described, one thing I found depth is important .At the moment I am using the GPX WITH A 11 dd but tomorrow I think I will put the 14 DD on ,because I am near power lines I am using cancel running in deep and a few other changed settings but if there are no power lines where you are just use normal setting ,another worth trying is running a smaller DD say a 10x5 minelab they are quiet good regards john :)

Were the areas you detected with the VLF's covered in top soil? Is this why you had little success with the VLFs? I will switch to the 4500 if I pick up a piece of gold it's just very tedious with the amount of junk present here.

nuggetino said:
Thanks for the help. I'm really liking the display on the AT gold Grubstake is it a detector you own? If so have you had many finds?

It's an AT Pro, mate and yes, I'm speaking from personal experience using mine: it's a coin magnet on the beaches I frequent.

grubstake said:
nuggetino said:
Thanks for the help. I'm really liking the display on the AT gold Grubstake is it a detector you own? If so have you had many finds?

It's an AT Pro, mate and yes, I'm speaking from personal experience using mine: it's a coin magnet on the beaches I frequent.

ive seen your tracks in the sand . lol . :eek: :D ..

Latest posts