Detecting with SDC2300 today at Tarnagulla

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good morning guys , had no intention of detecting today but the garden looked boring , so packed lunch and a thermos and taking off for a few hours .
Have a spot where I have found some gold so small I can't believe it . Will weigh it in the future and maybe start a fly speck competition .( if not already started ) Quick question , wish to look up old topics in the future and not sure whether you have to scroll through hundreds of posts or is their a key word search tool to use .
Don't wish to post repeat topics . Cheers all , goldrat

I reckon gt might've found a cold amongst other things :lol: hopefully the other things contained gold

Thanks Jaros , just like your instructions it worked well . As a moderator do you have 2 sets of instructions !!!!!! Simple ones for simple people like me and then the more complicated ones for the rest . Cheers goldrat .

Wishful , as requested a brief report on Saturday's detecting . Overcast with a light chill factor in the breeze , but great to be out in our iron bark forests . Tried a slightly different part of the gully and found 1 piece in 2 hours of detecting . No weight or pics as yet ( will explain at the end of this post ) Teardrop shape , toilet paper thin and 3mm x 1.25mm ( very little weight but an attractive bit ) I wasn't all that confident in this area , I thought there was a little too much overburden on this rise
Changed direction back to my regular spot ( 250 metres away ) on the way back I picked up 21 pellets of various shapes and sizes . I then went wide on the outside of the gully in the general direction of the vehicle . Near on dusk I got the faintest signal I've ever heard , I swept over it and back and forth for 10 + sweeps . 20 minutes later I could hear the signal in the wet clay in the scoop , I finished up with 1 pinch of clay between thumb and finger which I dropped into container . Moved on & immediately got another doubtful variation in threshold . Couldn't find it after digging down about 6 inches in pure clay so filled in hole and going back today . At first the pinch of clay I brought home , poked around with a small screwdriver found nothing . Dried out by fire and tiny bit revealed itself next day . This is the smallest bit I have found which amazes me ( imagine looking down on 3.5 pin heads as one piece ) Sorry I took so long with details but hopefully it will help someone new to our hobby or a first time user of a 2300 . You must go very slow and most importantly have the best suited head phones for your hearing . Now !!!!!! The weights will come this week I hope , all wooden floors in our hose and not suitable for my scales . Recently built shelves in shed and can weigh down there . Never used these scales any one interested to give an opinion , google ( ibalance 101 ) Now !!!!!! camera I also haven't used ( Panasonic DMC - LX5 ) I dare say I will be able to use that . My problem is no idea how to get pics to Macbook Air and then to Prospecting Australia Forum . Remember what I told Jaros , keep it simple please . Cheers goldrat and thanks for your time .

Not sure what you mean about scales mate but here is a tip for tiny,s that are so small they won't initially weigh, not enough presence on the scales to say "hey, I'm here". Put something significant on first that weighs, say a shotty pellet or two or whatever and note the weight, then add your bit and it should add to the shown weight. Works every time for me. Good on you for finding some gold anyway or any size Ratty.

Just spent two weeks at tarnagulla weather not great but got out a few days with 2300. Finished up with 22 pieces biggest 1.2 grms. Total weight 4.5grms. Great place love it. I'll be back there next year for sure.

Thanks Ratty , That's a great tip . Cheers goldrat .
Jon said:
Not sure what you mean about scales mate but here is a tip for tiny,s that are so small they won't initially weigh, not enough presence on the scales to say "hey, I'm here". Put something significant on first that weighs, say a shotty pellet or two or whatever and note the weight, then add your bit and it should add to the shown weight. Works every time for me. Good on you for finding some gold anyway or any size Ratty.

Latest posts