Detecting Gold

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have never done any hunting for gold before and would like to. I dont want to spend a lot of cash on it if I find I am cut out for it so I wonder if anyone can give me some tips on where to start without spending much. I am in the Blue Mountains NSW and wonder if there are any spots out here to start looking for gold or even gems like sapphire and what I would need to start

NSW areas https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1571
You can get started very cheaply depending on what you want to do. A garden shovel & cheap pan can get you started for $20-30. You can also get Garrett panning kits & small river sluices for less than $100.

A detector for gold can be found new for under $1000 such as Whites GMT, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab Xterra 705 etc. & used for around $500. There are also others like the Gold Snoop Pro for around $250 but haven't heard too much about them.

The Oberon & Bathurst areas are both close to the Blue Mountains both of which give a number of options for wet prospecting or detecting & gold and/or gems.

Latest posts