Design for equipment to clean out a pond

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a farm pond (no gold unfortunately) that i want to clean out. I have a 1"inch high pressure pump, i want a design preferably out of PVC (2 inch) that I can make to clean out the muddy bottom. can anyone help

Excavator and tip truck :Y: how big and how old is the dam, what location and soil type. The 1" inch pressure pump won't cut it imo you need a vacuum pump if you want to clean out a dam with a pump same as you find on any eduction trucks. Where do you plan to pump the waste if your not carting it away from the water course that feeds the dam.

pvc will be hard to work with to make something robust enough to handle the weight of the hoses. why not have an eductor tube made out of exhaust stock. 1inch reduced to 5/8 inch at the eductor jet and welded into straight 2inch tube at 15degrees, angle.

:8 just realised it's a pond :lol: :lol: as savage bitter says dig it out when dry its a Win Win, ponds clean and your fit enough to dig any gold within 10 feet :) Your other option depending on the size of the pond is to pay to have it educated after all its just a pond so I'd say 3 or 4 hundred bucks maybe. By the time you buy/find bits and pieces then the time you have to spend educating the pond once that's done you have a bit more time to remove the waste, call in the experience and the jobs done :Y: with waste removed :beer:

I'm curious the more I think about it if it's a pond does it have a liner, got any pictures, that help with everyone's thoughts.

Troble with any dredging is when material is being transported to where the water line is, any distance you go above the water line makes the suction drop off dramatically.

With the size pump and suction line you are talking about not only would it be pretty ineffective it would be slow.

To even begin to contemplate it would need a much bigger pump and nozzle configured correctly. Getting the venturi effect requires a bit of tinkering or a premade nozzle. Be much more effective to drain the water, dig the mud, and refill.

If you are hell bent on what you want to do go a youtube search there are videos there that will explain it exactly. Ive built one for cleaning our small pool 1:1 ratio in 1 inch, even with a proper nozzle youd only move tiny amounts of mud over a very long time.

Not impossible to do but horribly ineffective.

the pond is fed my a spring and i can't pump it out. it is only shallow about 2 feet deep i have raised yabbies in it.
the mud i pump will be placed on the bank

Could still have yabbies in it....

Tucked away in the mud having a mud mask ...mud bath yeah baby :lol: :lol:

Goody

beaul said:
the pond is fed my a spring and i can't pump it out. it is only shallow about 2 feet deep i have raised yabbies in it.
the mud i pump will be placed on the bank

What's the surface area size. Sucking out the silt will require you to have the pump on the low side of the wall so you will need plenty of suction hose and a pump capable of doing the job if you want to dredge it and discard the silt on the back of pond wall. Conventional dredging processes return the waste back to its origin so a floating dredge won't help one bit. Have you got any idea how much silt you want to remove, this information is the piece of the puzzle you need to work out in order to put a plan and the right equipment together so you can achieve your objective.

Im with Gilly 47 be careful how much you take out if you break the seal you wont have a pond you say its spring fed thats usually pretty clean water so were does the silt/mud come from?Any way all the best hope it goes well what ever you do cheers Muk.

Latest posts