Deep Cycle Battery brands, types, systems & installations

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jaros said:
May I ask-why do you need so much power?

Of Coarse Mate, I am putting the two 115a/800-1000cca's in a camper with the G15000 Charger as an on board set up and the I am making another small Solar setup for my home because I don't use that much power so I figured with a bank of 4,6 or 8 115's and 200w+ Solar panels I could get by pretty good and I am going to hard wire the 26Amp charger to the system so I can run a Generator a to recharge the batteries if I need to,

The big Red 35Amp Charger I bought back around 1998ish when I had a few Vehicles that I needed to keep charged, But to be honest those type of chargers were great for starting Vehicles and waking up big 200Amp+ batteries but if you let them charge to where the meter says 2 to 3 Amps on the lowest setting they will start to kill the battery because once they reach that point the voltage really starts to rise, But I like the fact you can see whats going On with them but normal chargers are not that great when it comes to charging batteries, In Fact using those big Automatic Chargers will kill more Batteries than they save, And they will Boil a battery very quickly.

J.

Ridge Runner said:
Nightjar said:
My friend from the East who put me onto series solar & MPPT controllers sent me this Youtube, a layman's version where the finer technicalities that the majority of us do not require are excluded.
Having been using this set up for years and the present 110AH Deepcycle is into it's 4th year?
Am very interested in constructive comments, this video runs for 7 minutes.

Yeah NJ that's what my Solar guy told me, like I said the only down side is when a shadow is cast on one of the panels, but he also said that MPPT is way better for all out Power Recovery, I think I might add both types of comtrollers then If I am in a place where I get full Sun "Over here that ain't gonna happen" LOL. then I can use the MPPT and if I am not out in the open then I can use the PWM,

Thanks NJ for posting that, very comforting to get the full SP, :Y:

I have been charging these new Deep Cycle Batteries, One has been on charge for 25 hours and now it has been in maintenance mode since yesterday On my New NOCO G15000 "15Amp" Charger and then my new Noco G26000 "26" Charger turned up so I hooked it up to one of the other new batteries and it has been on charge for 13 hours,

Side by side Testing Using my favourite Normal Old style charger on Wheels work shop type charger Puts out up to 35 Amp on high and 310 Amp on start and the New NOCO G15000 "15A" Charger with Both put on charge at the same time using Two 115 DC 800cca / 1000mca Batteries In less that 4 hours the NOCO was Done and My Normal 35Amp charger was about to over supply its battery so I had to stop the test and then put it's battery on the NOCO G15000 to Charge it properly and recover the battery, Because the Normal Charger had started to Kill Off the Cranking Amps of the Battery at this point the Battery only had 416 CCA available and when you consider it should have been reading over 800, IE the other 2 Batteries read at 861 and 880, being at 416cca is a heck of a lot to loose that's almost half it's grunt,

Bottom Line, These NOCO Chargers are awesome and will eat any charger on the planet, The 15A one made my big Truck charger look stupid and in a 1/3 of the time But they can Charge Any type of battery out there and the bigger G26000 can even Charge them new 16v Lithium Racing Batteries and it can charge 12v 16v and 24v and rated for batteries up to 500Amps but it can be left on any battery forever with ZERO damage which means no more dead batteries,

I also bought A NOCO Booster The GB150 and it is meant for 10 Litre Trucks and bigger I have seen it start a 14.8L/15L Detroit Diesel in a Peterbuilt, But then there is this Bad Boy which is the next model up, LOL. I might get it Yet :cool: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3kpIIbGV38
Noco are awesome products :perfect: :cool:
we go through heaps at work, i wouldn't leave home without a gb40 in the car or on the bikes :power:

No doubt the Guru's here are aware of this?
When we need a couple of new/used batteries for our bush camp we visit a local dead battery recycle.
We select batteries that are only a few years old. The fella running the place sells them to us for $5.00 each.
We take them home and quite often when we put them on the 240/12V charger it doesn't kick in. Who ever dumped them flattened them completely.
:inlove: We use a fully charged battery, using jumper leads we "jump start" the charger. One ZZ70 we use for starting our 3.5KVA diesel generator only karked it last year after 5 years from recovery all for the princely price of $5.00... ;)

Back in 2008 we bought our first caravan which was fitted with a smart charger, (solar/12V/240V) two 110AH AGM batteries. Think it was after return from our second trip away I forgot to turn the fridge off (Running on 12V for journey sucking about 14 amps.) When I discovered what I'd done the batteries would NOT respond to a recharge. Jump started them and they came up to full charge and lasted until 2014.

ctxkid said:
Ridge Runner said:
Nightjar said:
My friend from the East who put me onto series solar & MPPT controllers sent me this Youtube, a layman's version where the finer technicalities that the majority of us do not require are excluded.
Having been using this set up for years and the present 110AH Deepcycle is into it's 4th year?
Am very interested in constructive comments, this video runs for 7 minutes.

Yeah NJ that's what my Solar guy told me, like I said the only down side is when a shadow is cast on one of the panels, but he also said that MPPT is way better for all out Power Recovery, I think I might add both types of comtrollers then If I am in a place where I get full Sun "Over here that ain't gonna happen" LOL. then I can use the MPPT and if I am not out in the open then I can use the PWM,

Thanks NJ for posting that, very comforting to get the full SP, :Y:

I have been charging these new Deep Cycle Batteries, One has been on charge for 25 hours and now it has been in maintenance mode since yesterday On my New NOCO G15000 "15Amp" Charger and then my new Noco G26000 "26" Charger turned up so I hooked it up to one of the other new batteries and it has been on charge for 13 hours,

Side by side Testing Using my favourite Normal Old style charger on Wheels work shop type charger Puts out up to 35 Amp on high and 310 Amp on start and the New NOCO G15000 "15A" Charger with Both put on charge at the same time using Two 115 DC 800cca / 1000mca Batteries In less that 4 hours the NOCO was Done and My Normal 35Amp charger was about to over supply its battery so I had to stop the test and then put it's battery on the NOCO G15000 to Charge it properly and recover the battery, Because the Normal Charger had started to Kill Off the Cranking Amps of the Battery at this point the Battery only had 416 CCA available and when you consider it should have been reading over 800, IE the other 2 Batteries read at 861 and 880, being at 416cca is a heck of a lot to loose that's almost half it's grunt,

Bottom Line, These NOCO Chargers are awesome and will eat any charger on the planet, The 15A one made my big Truck charger look stupid and in a 1/3 of the time But they can Charge Any type of battery out there and the bigger G26000 can even Charge them new 16v Lithium Racing Batteries and it can charge 12v 16v and 24v and rated for batteries up to 500Amps but it can be left on any battery forever with ZERO damage which means no more dead batteries,

I also bought A NOCO Booster The GB150 and it is meant for 10 Litre Trucks and bigger I have seen it start a 14.8L/15L Detroit Diesel in a Peterbuilt, But then there is this Bad Boy which is the next model up, LOL. I might get it Yet :cool: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3kpIIbGV38
Noco are awesome products :perfect: :cool:
we go through heaps at work, i wouldn't leave home without a gb40 in the car or on the bikes :power:

That's the one my Brother got and how I first found out about them, He mentioned the name and I wondered what he was talking about because he is always buying some computer gadget and then he said it's name a few more time while I was recovering from hospital and in the end I said what the **** is a NOCO and then he told me and then he used it to start his VW Touran and his neighbours big van and then I just had to get one, I ordered the GB70 first and then I Got the GB150 but it is Huge, It's about the size of a Loaf of Bread that has been cut in half Length ways and the Clamps on the thing are Gigantic, and are almost twice the size of the ones on their biggest Charger, Some one on YT said the Clamps on the Big NOCO g15000 Charger were about a 1000amps well if that's the cast the ones on the NOCO GB150 Booster must be good for twice that at leased baring in mind that it has 4000amps On Tap so I guess they are 4000 Amp Clamps and they have very powerful Jaws/Springs. and it has a 15A 12v output socket and a few others and a 500 Lumin Flashlight built in,

I also bought the Power supply they make for It which will charge it in 2 hours, It also comes with power leads to suit the US, UK, Australia and the EU, It is called the XGC-4 and it will work with the GB70, GB150 and the DADDY - The GB500, and it is well worth getting because Charging them by USB is painfully slow and Charging them from the Car only works if you are In It and in the Car takes 2 to 3 hours, So it is a must have Item, :Y:

John.

RR find yourself a 3amp usb outlet , will charge much faster :cool:

the first time i used the gb40 was starting a 6cly bmw car with a dead flat :Y: it did it so easy i too had to have one :perfect:

ctxkid said:
RR find yourself a 3amp usb outlet , will charge much faster :cool:

the first time i used the gb40 was starting a 6cly bmw car with a dead flat :Y: it did it so easy i too had to have one :perfect:

Yeah that NOCO power supply cost me about $88.00.

I couldn't believe how well that GB40 started that diesel Van, I was a bit worried about getting one because many folks claim that Lithium batteries only last about 2 years or so yet the ones in my Torch are 4 years old and the ones in my phone are from May 2011 and some are from 2012 and still they last forever per charge,

Noco Claim that the GB150 can jump start 80 vehicles per charge and I believe it too, I'd love to buy the GB 500 but at $1995 USD that's a bit steep, Over here I have seen it for sale for 2600+ which is about $4810.00AUD at the currant exchange rate, :( But I have also seen it for as low as $2405.00AUD. Next time they have a price drop I might think about it. :cool:

How do the Nocco stuff stack up against the CTek suff? Opinions anyone?

at the APLA Field Day yesterday the local Battery World fella had a tent set up with a bit of gear on display.
He had a couple of NOCO units there along with CTek & OzCharge, & a couple of batteries set up for demos. All very good units.
I dont know if you could conclusively say one is better than the other. It comes down to reading the specs on the size unit you want & then select one that fits your needs & budget (I might add that all these arent cheapies) .
The OzCharge battery-less (capacitor) jump start unit was impressive. but at $300-$400 depending on size

madtuna said:
How do the Nocco stuff stack up against the CTek suff? Opinions anyone?
When it comes to Chargers I prefer the NOCO compared to CTek because they have more features, The Clamps on the NOCO G15000 where the CTek has clamps that look like they came off a 3 Amp Charger and G26000 Chargers are as tough and heavy duty as any ever fitted to a charger They are seriously Good. and another thing you can see exactly where you are at when setting it up and I like that it has a memory So it remembers your last settings even when it is turned off,

And all of their models carry similar features as their more expensive models, I find CTek uninspiring when you compare the CTek 25000 to the NOCO G26000 the G26000 is built like a Tank, Even their G15000 has the same sort of clamps as the G26000 and the G15000 is a bigger unit overall compared to CTek's 25000 and they are Fan Cooled, I have 3 of their Chargers, The G3500 = 3.5A and the G15000 = 15A and the Top of the line model the G26000,

Check out this video of the NOCO G26000 compared to the CTEK 25000, the CTek looks like a Toy,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SwVZxXpUiU

At the moment the GB150 is my favourite Toy, And it has some crazy LED's on it too.

Oh and regarding NOCO Vs CTek the larger NOCO Chargers have a Boost Start on them which allow you to do a couple of starts per day In a 24 hour period, But I wouldn't use mine for that because I have the GB 150 and I have a BIG charger on Wheels that has 310Amp Boost Start on it and it can do it all day long,

Here the one where it starts that 15 Litre Detroit Diesel Peterbuilt, with 4 flat batteries,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsOvksbZLBE

Jaros said:
Great vid--shows it works-very well.
Yeah it also has micro usb ports and a normal usb port and it also has a 12v 15Amp outlet for running bigger things, And 4000 Amps of pure Grunt. and it can do 80 jump starts per charge

Gotta love technology sometimes-gotta similar unit with all accessories for my little 3.3V6 Nissan Pathy. Never had to use it--Oh!! yes i did a while ago the car had a dead battery and I couldn't use the remote control to open it. Luckily it has front door keys so I exhaustively turned the key and openned the door-whew!! hard work. I placed the unit across the batt and Yeehaaaa!!!
Sits behind under the drivers seat all the time. I think it can push 2000 amps-I'll check later. :)

Jaros said:
Gotta love technology sometimes-gotta similar unit with all accessories for my little 3.3V6 Nissan Pathy. Never had to use it--Oh!! yes i did a while ago the car had a dead battery and I couldn't use the remote control to open it. Luckily it has front door keys so I exhaustively turned the key and openned the door-whew!! hard work. I placed the unit across the batt and Yeehaaaa!!!
Sits behind under the drivers seat all the time. I think it can push 2000 amps-I'll check later. :)

Yeah I saw my brother with one and I held off thinking they were just another accessory, then I saw what they can do and I just had to have one, The one my Brother has one half the size of the one you bought and that started a big diesel Van and his own car and it was still full up or close to it,

Sounds like yours has paid for it's self already, I hate having to run out power leads and drag my big starter Charger every time a battery gets low, I got a new 85Amp for the starter battery and I got another 115 to go with the other one for the fridges,

My Mk 2 Pajero had duel batteries but short trips killed them fast, I bought 2 sets in 15 months which is why I have gone OTT this time, With this newer Truck I've had to do a few bits on and now I'm Ordering a set of 5 new tyres next week, The Truck looked good when I got it but I soon found out that the roadworthy was not worth a light because the people who filled out the roadworthy had never even seen the thing so I took it off the road last March until every thing was done right,

RR, Am interested to know why your dual battery system only lasted 15 months. You mention short trips but surely that wouldn't have killed them.
Recall doing something very "not smart!"
Arrived at airport at first light to catch a plane to Bali, arrived back in darkness 10 days later and couldn't work out why my remote wouldn't open doors. Like Jaros opened doors with key but when I tried ignition it was completely dead. It then dawned on me, had left lights on when leaving. :argh:
When leaning under bonnet to activate isolation switch/solonoid for auxiliary battery two security guards asked very gruffly what I was doing? :(
All good jumped back in, turned the key and we were on our way.
40 minute drive home, where I checked the main battery and found it was still flat.
Took it out to the shed and tried the "jumpstart" method (mentioned in another post) eureka!!! Up and charging and still surviving in my ute.

Latest posts