Day One With The SDC2300.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Since purchasing the SDC2300 and offices opening back up for work (busy times) after the Rona, tomorrow we're taking a trip up to Heathcote with the doggo in tow.
Just read Loamer's thread for the 4th time to gain as much information as possible before going out. Picked up a pick yesterday from the Minersden shop in Mitcham yesterday and was given a Gully to go look at and honestly, i can't believe the amount of help from everyone you speak with about prospecting. It's as if everybody wants you to succeed and it's appreciated.
Whatever is found tomorrow is getting taken home whether its lead shots, old coins or chunks of gold. Isn't it all about the moments and enjoying it, being present and having a day out.
I've set my SDC to number 3 on normal mode and will adjust the threshold to the highest setting when out there tomorrow. Any advice on this as i have gauged this from people's posts on the forum?
If you see a guy with a Richmond Tigers cap on looking lost and needing help feel free to say hello, although I hope many of you are to busy digging up ounce nuggets.

Once again thank you to one and all :Y: :Y:

Best of luck SR!

As far as SDC advice, just see how it's running at the time with any external interference etc. If it's running smoothly, you can take it up to 4, and if there's too much background chirping drop back to 2.

Are you running headphones, a wireless setup or just a speaker? They will play a deciding part in the sensitivity/threshold volume you should run at.

Stay safe out there.
Regards,
Shauno.

Syndyne said:
Best of luck SR!

As far as SDC advice, just see how it's running at the time with any external interference etc. If it's running smoothly, you can take it up to 4, and if there's too much background chirping drop back to 2.

Are you running headphones, a wireless setup or just a speaker? They will play a deciding part in the sensitivity/threshold volume you should run at.

Stay safe out there.
Regards,
Shauno.

I'm going to be using minelab headphones that came with it. Do people have a preference between the different set ups that you speak of? Being a beginner i thought the headphones would ve the best way to go and just dig everything i hear on the advice of the forum.

Set-up wise is a personal choice thing. My wife loves earphones (i don't), but they are a cheap Phillips pair and prefers them over Grey Ghost, Minelab and earpods - it was a trial and error thing. Me, I prefer a single external speaker with a cheap digital amplifier added to my existing equipment, even after using an expensive metal detector booster.

There is a huge difference between every individual preference so read around and build your knowledge base first (for free). If using headsets, you may want volume control with the 2300 - there are plenty of discussions to be read here and elsewhere on the internet.

Also, the best advise I have ever been given is RESEARCH where you are going before you get there, again - there is much to read.

A-team said:
Set-up wise is a personal choice thing. My wife loves earphones (i don't), but they are a cheap Phillips pair and prefers them over Grey Ghost, Minelab and earpods - it was a trial and error thing. Me, I prefer a single external speaker with a cheap digital amplifier added to my existing equipment, even after using an expensive metal detector booster.

There is a huge difference between every individual preference so read around and build your knowledge base first (for free). If using headsets, you may want volume control with the 2300 - there are plenty of discussions to be read here and elsewhere on the internet.

Also, the best advise I have ever been given is RESEARCH where you are going before you get there, again - there is much to read.

Thanks to both of you for the information. I've bought a Doug Stone map and still trying to get a grip with all the filters on geovic maps. Appreciate that with the Doug Stone maps that these areas will have been pillaged in a Viking like way bought in all honesty I'm just happy to be going having a day out and trying different things to see what works and what doesn't.
The rest will come over time we hope

Set to 5, tune, proceed. Which is not unlike what Syndyne wrote, however when moving around or getting high emi I would stop and tune to try a keep the SDC at the highest setting possible. From there, post tuning, even lowering the setting the machine felt more stable.

Ive spent a bit of time from Redcastle then out to Heathcote, if the planes are still quiet it will help, but some days are better than others in terms of background interference. Even in the gullys where you would expect more sheilding it can be painful, then other days countless hours of hassle free detecting.

Also Ill chuck in the age old advice, better to be thorough (low and slow) than cruising over every hill. Hard won is the gold out that way, but best of luck mate, you seem to have a good attitude right out of the gate.

SlickRick said:
A-team said:

Thanks to both of you for the information. I've bought a Doug Stone map and still trying to get a grip with all the filters on geovic maps. Appreciate that with the Doug Stone maps that these areas will have been pillaged in a Viking like way bought in all honesty I'm just happy to be going having a day out and trying different things to see what works and what doesn't.
The rest will come over time we hope

Using Doug Stone's map won't necessarily put you where you need to be but you may be close. If it's anything like his WA maps they are back to front and upside down with some features shown on the map that just don't exist at all. However it was the use of his maps that got us into the general area to get started in the first place so the book paid for its self within the first two weeks.

We have three SDC's because two have been worn out. We usually have the threshold on three red lights but occasionally drop it back to one. We find the Trumpet a good accessory although they need to be treated with care because they are made on a 3D printer and all that we have have broken apart. The Trumpet fits over the speaker outlet and directs the sound up and forward (why forward? I have no idea).

1615086845_sweeping_the_floor.jpg

We run the sensitivity on five if we can get away with it but Mrs M spends most of her time with it on four. We rarely have to drop it lower than that. It's a great machine for small surface gold and considering that most of the bigger stuff has gone then it's a good choice of detector.

You can still do well just practicing over the old diggings, I occasionally find very small gold among the lead shot in the first cm or two. Then it's a matter of working out that specific place you are prospecting, where the gold came from, how it got "there" and if it left a trail.....lots of hints here for you. Don't be put off, I've hear of people taking 6 plus years to find their first color, and other taking less than a minute - the story goes, a trainee prospector stepped off the bus, turned on his detector, took a few steps and found gold, small, but gold!

Latest posts