Day 2 for 2015

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldtarget

(AKA OldGT)
Reaction score
Had a bit of wet weather again today so headed out to the snake infested grounds from last month. The previous team member has picked up a few stray ones but at a high trash to gold ratio. Packed up the vlf and tried my luck. Continued the gridding and worked the hillside. Every 1 came in sharp and clear from the surface to around 6 inches+. All lead except one casing, but its nice to bang some targets out to make it feel worthwhile. The ground was absolutely beautiful to work over, the machine was humming and despite no gold I had a bloody ripper afternoon in the zone, couple picked up on the deeper end with a slight threshold murmuring. I'm sure if it was there in the range it would be mine. Just a matter of time and patience.
1424683066_img_20150223_200701.jpg

Was tempted to go park hunting but something about an under worked section of gold bearing hillside that has given up a bit of goodness is hard to resist.

Went near the town of Wedderburn to a tip near by my mate and I did this area with heaps of quartz. Found lots of bullets does that mean we were in a good area.

Hi goldtarget a bad day detecting is better than a good day at work.if you don't mind me asking.what sort of vlf did you use and what was the size of the coil.my boys use an old goldseeker 12000 with an 8 inch coil and they cleanout bullets and casings everywhere and the odd nail and tent peg.i try to show them the different sounds made by different metal,but they like to dig the sceamers.did the casings sound different to the lead shot? You are out there having a swing mate that's the first thing to finding it the more you try the more you find.there is heaps of gold left out there.some people swing all day and don't get anything.good luck on the next dig mate.

lucky streak said:
Went near the town of Wedderburn to a tip near by my mate and I did this area with heaps of quartz. Found lots of bullets does that mean we were in a good area.

If you are finding ANY targets with your detector in gold locations, I always keep it in my mind that it means no one else has detected that spot, otherwise they would have dug the target themselves. So even if you are picking up old trash, its a good indicator that you are the first detercorist to wave the wand over that particular spot! Helps keep me sane.

lucky streak said:
The only certainty is mate that there has been guns fired in the area. Pretty much the same as quartz I might add. Just because there's lead doesn't mean it it's not detected. Just because there's quartz does not mean it's gold bearing. You can cut and paste that if you like for reference material when you're giving lessons..... :rolleyes:

ausniper said:
Hi goldtarget a bad day detecting is better than a good day at work.if you don't mind me asking.what sort of vlf did you use and what was the size of the coil.my boys use an old goldseeker 12000 with an 8 inch coil and they cleanout bullets and casings everywhere and the odd nail and tent peg.i try to show them the different sounds made by different metal,but they like to dig the sceamers.did the casings sound different to the lead shot? You are out there having a swing mate that's the first thing to finding it the more you try the more you find.there is heaps of gold left out there.some people swing all day and don't get anything.good luck on the next dig mate.
A Fisher F75.
When the signal is sharp it's hard to tell between lead aly and gold (might be the operator!) But if they take the same form I can't really tell the difference. My test piece rings in the same number range and tone. Picked up a 5c which also had me scrambling haha.
All targets deep in mineralization come in a bit erratic, and the casing flipped from low to high tone/id.
Ferrous junk is pretty obvious, and deep, and the ddetector excels at iron unmasking. If only I could hit every good target like the steel!
It's hardly the easiest route but for anything decent on top it holds its own.
Swing it enough the luck will change. At the least I'll clear the junk for the pi following for a better result. The area has had many mechanical pushes and many diggings with high trash bbut just having a shot makes it worth it* getting I where everyone else dare not tread might pay off. I'd rather a little chance at a little gold than slim chance on flogged area, the machines not built for that.

Heatho said:
lucky streak said:

Hell yes, keep digging those bullets, great spot, Quartz and bullets always means heaps of Gold! :D
Love your work Heatho, keep em coming mate ;) :D

Sorry aus 10x5 DD coil. It's tough ground but I only have the three to choose from 10 round mono and 5 round DD the other 2. The 5 is too small unless there's something shallow and small. Can't be out all day haha. The other two are good on the coins though.

Latest posts