Danger of Charger Units

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaros

In Remembrance Nov. 2023
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know about most of our members but I have Soooooooo many chargers of all different voltages and sizes that I can't read.
There must be about 50 in our house alone. Very annoying a great fire hazard. Some plugs fit multiple devices.
So please check the chargers suitability to the item being charged, because we nearly had a fire because of it.
Jaros :eek:

I'm on your side Jaros :mad:

...yeah, it's a bugbear for me too...it is the ONE area in technology that should have been mandated (like power outlet sockets) to be a one size fits all (as per the power needs) instead of manufacturing 'proprietary' plugs & sockets.

Drives me nuts....still looking for a Sony compact camera usb lead (the only one in that size i own) :mad: :mad: :mad:

I think i will thin the fleet of chargers i have down to just one..does every type of battery, i just need to purchase the required 'cradles' to suit each size. It's a 'Revolectrix Cellpro PL8 Multi Chemistry' charger, and will even charge gell cells and car batteries. You can also 'boost' the charge & shorten charge times (chemistry dependent) on some types.

Same :mad: with phones and their chargers/leads/plugs. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Gypsy

limpalot said:
I have some Red 100 mph tape on the lead near the charger with the appliance it charges written on it. Camera, torch. phone etc. Can also put voltage on too.

I do the same (except white.... as if it matters)
There are just so many to remember
Kinda like pin numbers :rolleyes: :lol:
(But thats a WHOLE nother topic ;) )

Yeah, I keep on telling myself that is a job to do but then something else comes along and it's put in the to box-again!!
But now there are so many of them -I'll HAVE to make time.
Jaros :p

I went to Office works and got a couple of "Sharpie" permanent markers in Silver colour. As most chargers are black the silver does stand out and it does stay on.
So I marked the block part that goes into the wall.

Every time I buy something new I mark it..... :)

After the purchase of metal detectors with batteries/chargers, solar panels, fridge, phones x3 blah blah blah my ute was looking like the film set of the thunderbirds.
Time to get an additional ute?.
Time I realised It's another area I need to catch up with evolution?.
Agree with you jaros the household voltage or amps are easily overlooked.

I wonder if it should be made compulsory for manufacturers to have the product it is used for clearly labelled.
After what we saw at home the other day, i'm sure that there has been a lot of housefires caused by people charging things and going out for dinner etc.
Jaros :/

Yes it would be good, but would need legislation and getting that through due to the mainly international suppliers would be a hard row to hoe. It is hard enough to get them to comply with simple labeling to indicate if a device is double insulated or not and those standards are fairly well used world wide.

You may have noticed that the CYA advice that you see on several web sites, say to not charge lithium batteries inside a car or a home, but how many people would do that?

Rob P.

Jaros said:
Yeah, I keep on telling myself that is a job to do but then something else comes along and it's put in the to do box-again!!
But now there are so many of them -I'll HAVE to make time.
Jaros :p

Life is getting far too hectic Jaros, so many things to think about and do. I recon I could spend a week solid on simple little things I should do, another month on stuff I really should do and another month on stuff I really have to do, then it would start over again. Time to head off around Australia in a van I recon.

$29 for a Dymo labelling machine from Big W and $15 for a cartridge of plastic tape. Label all your chargers and cords, also handy for labelling any 12v wiring in your car and camper.

1486646764_img_1568.jpg

1486646765_img_1569.jpg

Latest posts