Current fuel prices.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
silver said:
I think they've used the current drop in price to bring about a drop in the octane levels without anybody being aware of it(my personal thoughts),.. I for one have had a distinct reduction in mileage out of a tank full,..even though it's cheaper I find I have to fill up more often,....they have done this sort of stuff before, where they have made a reduction in the power per unit of petrol that is available,.. can't quote times or amounts, just lived through it at the time. We will probably find that the price will go up again but the reduction in mileage per tank will be permanent(if that's what has happened). That's my take on it all,... be interested to know everyones thoughts on their fuel economy of late, just so I can get a bit of perspective,.. and maybe a reality check.
I may need an education on a few points, that's ok by me though.

Cheers and Beers.
Silver.

Have often wondered about this point also mate........Do you notice a difference in economy and vehicle performance across the octane ranges and those fuels containing ethanol?

My wife pays extra in her car for the high octane Premium 98 i think it is, while im a tight arse and love the United fuels E10 with a 10% ethanol component.

I tell her its probably all the same stuff as there is no way for us to tell but i dont know?
Are we being hoodwinked?

Now im a fan of E10 not only because its cheaper, but also the Ethanol is refined from Sorghum Grain and United Petroleum claim that it produces about 37% less C02 emissions than regular unleaded or 1.51kg per litre compared to 2.39kg per litre.

Great for our environment, but is it hurting my car and shortening the life span of fuel injectors, cylinder bores etc?

I get differing opinions from my mates and others i have asked?

Regards

silver said:
I think they've used the current drop in price to bring about a drop in the octane levels without anybody being aware of it(my personal thoughts),.. I for one have had a distinct reduction in mileage out of a tank full,..even though it's cheaper I find I have to fill up more often,....they have done this sort of stuff before, where they have made a reduction in the power per unit of petrol that is available,.. can't quote times or amounts, just lived through it at the time. We will probably find that the price will go up again but the reduction in mileage per tank will be permanent(if that's what has happened). That's my take on it all,... be interested to know everyones thoughts on their fuel economy of late, just so I can get a bit of perspective,.. and maybe a reality check.

Cheers and Beers.
Silver.

Would not be surprised if they mix up the cheaper stuff with the better stuff if you know what I mean...... and sell it for the premium price.

Heatho said:
Would not be surprised if they mix up the cheaper stuff with the better stuff if you know what I mean...... and sell it for the premium price.

Ahh yes, half a barrell of slops, add 2 bottles of guiness and fill with water.
Add to a line of five barrells going to the lounge and open her up when the band starts and everyone is half cut.
That's 288 pots @ about $4.50. $1200 odd in the back pocket [stuff the till].
Not bad for 3 hours work.

Opps, strayed off topic a tad.

I noticed by 10pm last night, every servo I passed had changed their prices to exactly 119.9 per litre on unleaded, diesel was also the same price as unleaded at many servos as well.

wombat said:
silver said:

Cheers and Beers.
Silver.

Hi Silver. I have got a 2009 Mitsubishi Pajero 4X4 Diesel 3.2lt and I have notice that I'm not getting the Lt per 100 that I was a few months ago. Few months ago traveling from Maryborough to Melb and back I was getting around 8.2 to 9 Lt per 100, now 9 to 10.5 Lt per 100. I was thinking that it could have been that I may have dirty injectors and Air filter. But now you have got me thinking. I'll run an injector cleaner through with the fuel next time I fill up and also clean the air cleaner and see if that improves the mileage
wombat ;)

I have recently changed wheels on my car. I went from 215 16" to 245 19". The fuel consumption went from about 14,5 l/100 km to 15,5 l/100 km. There could be many things why your consumption went up.

Heatho said:
silver said:

Cheers and Beers.
Silver.

Being privy to alot of the fuel practices from a personal involvement unless it was a major mistake that would be extremely difficult to pass through a chain of vigorous accountability or an extremely rouge delivery company the chances are next to zero. Then again what the servo does with the fuel content after hours is anyones guess, but I would sincerley deem it highly unlikely.

Adiitionally metamorphic try your local mechanic. Some of the horror stories begger belief. I would not recommend it on any level, the facts and figures are dileberately muddied to suit a particular agenda. To give an analogy, I would liken it to permeate in milk content or water in meat. Selling a product in this manner should recieve similar scrutiny.

I advocate alternate fuel sources for the benefit of the environment but I have my reservations on standard e10 blends.
(Edit I have no direct current involvement in the fuel industry and offer this only as an expressed personal opinion as an individual.)

Sorry I took a while to get back to you Metamorphic,
Well I only use unleaded, unless on the odd occasion(once a year maybe) I put about a third of premium into the fillup from empty, just to give the insides a bit of a clean out. I've never used the E-10 at all, I had heard that a bit of water is in the by product of the E-10, but they say that in the old days they used a bit of water in the fuel(don't know what sort of engine setup) because the water made the fuel burn better,.. you can see an example of this sort of reaction when you clean off your BBQ plate on a high temperature by putting a bit of water on it and when its full on sizzling and spitting push the oil and water over the grill edge and down onto a burner(mine is a 3 burner BBQ) be careful though as it can flame up pretty big and if there is a breeze it can blow the flames around dangerously.( DANGER = be careful),...Try doing the same with no water added and see the lame reaction in comparison. Any way what I was getting at is the moisture created in the burning of the E-10 fuel probably burns off in a similar manner as the BBQ oil+water mix.
Just my personal thoughts on it all.
Cheers.
Metamorphic said:
silver said:

Cheers and Beers.
Silver.

Have often wondered about this point also mate........Do you notice a difference in economy and vehicle performance across the octane ranges and those fuels containing ethanol?

My wife pays extra in her car for the high octane Premium 98 i think it is, while im a tight arse and love the United fuels E10 with a 10% ethanol component.

I tell her its probably all the same stuff as there is no way for us to tell but i dont know?
Are we being hoodwinked?

Now im a fan of E10 not only because its cheaper, but also the Ethanol is refined from Sorghum Grain and United Petroleum claim that it produces about 37% less C02 emissions than regular unleaded or 1.51kg per litre compared to 2.39kg per litre.

Great for our environment, but is it hurting my car and shortening the life span of fuel injectors, cylinder bores etc?

I get differing opinions from my mates and others i have asked?

Regards

Redfin said:
Personally I never bother looking at the price of diesel.
Why worry about something that you have no control over.
I fill up when I need it and spot an vacant pump.
Time is more important to me.

Most cases it's true, but little things add up. I fill up 2x + a week do 1100+km and fuel varies from one town to another by 20c a litre. For me that's $20.00+ a week or a $1000.00 a year (almost an OZ of gold) :)

Great vid LC76, certainly does explain it for easy understanding.

Love free fuel, got a full tank worth three days ago using my credit card and it still has not shown up in my statements from Netbank.

I guess that's payback for the rude attendent being on the phone chatting and not paying attention to doing his job, I was standing at the pay window for 5 minutes at 2am while he was chatting :lol:

Probably chatting to his Mrs who is just as big of a loser as he is, talking about how the guy on the shift before him doesn't do his job properly.

Or directing the scammer on the other end on what do do with the card reader being used and how to block the next 10 transactions on netbank.
Just joking of course.

Don't get too excited, it can take up to ten days to show on your credit card as a transaction.

Sorry to burst the bubble.

The Pinpad can store up to a months worth. The Guy was probably on the
phone to the help desk wondering why his Eftpos is off line. When it all goes back online the Data is dumped
back into the system then matched.
I have had to send some to a special address to have the data retrieved owing to rare fault.
Have a care full look at your receipt.

Last night on the news in Brisbane, several Caltex fuel stations have put their prices up to $1.87pl... All fuel stations here on the GC are around $1.35pl ATM but will soon follow.. The RACQ, last week said that We should expect Fuel to rise about 4c pl after what happened overseas... Not 40cpl... :mad:

If your vehicle uses Premium, expect to pay well over $2 pl... Right when people are coming home from Holidays...

Gouging at its finest... :mad:

What are the Other Members paying?

LW....

Latest posts