Crookwell NSW information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was in Sydney for work during the week, and one one of my outings (I'm a botanist, BTW) I was collecting plants just NE of Crookwell. Interesting mullock heaps and plenty of evidence of old gold mining around the area. Having never been there before, I looked it up, and discovered that it's just around the corner from where you guys go at Grabben Gullen!

Anyway, by then I had a plane to catch and no time to prospect...

M

I'm thinking of heading out to crookwell for a look over the next couple of weekends just seeing if anyone can give me some info on the area and surroundings without going to tuena?????

"CROOKWELL: At Red Ground which is approximately 9.5 km NW of Crookwell, partly eroded basalt covers an old river bed and about 21 metres of gold-bearing wash. Several gold-bearing leads under the basalt also occur in the vicinity of Laggan, which is about 11 km NE of Crookwell. Another location at which some coarse alluvial gold was found was near the Binda Road about 22.5 km from Crookwell."

These locations to the best of my knowledge are all on private property. The old timers did not miss much, and while you will probably find small amounts of gold in quite a few creeks in the Crookwell area, I reckon it's worth the trip up to Tuena.

Thanks guys for that. The thing is that if i don't try these places for a day or two it will do my head in when i go past without knowing. I know tuena has the colour but all these places are on my way coming from wollongong vier Wombeyan but if ido any good i will definitely post...

One location in the greater Crookwell area (to the north east) that may be worth checking out is Tuglow...
Let us know how you go if you check it out

"Tuglow and Jaunter there is a payable gold
field. For many years past different parties
have found payable gold in various small
patches in the Tuglow River, by the late H.
Hogan ; in a creek close by, by Dennis and
others (one piece weighed nearly 2 ounces) and
latterly at Dunk's Creek by several parties
during the last two or three years. Last week
a nugget weighing over 1oz was sluiced out, and
all goes to show that there is a payable goldfield
about Tuglow."
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/62185802

Sweet as mate im definitely going to try out tuglow (shooter's hill area) seems to be a lot of forestry around so should not be to bad for access. But the river doesn't look like that there is much water in it to flow a sluce.

Rusty22 said:
Sweet as mate im definitely going to try out tuglow (shooter's hill area) seems to be a lot of forestry around so should not be to bad for access. But the river doesn't look like that there is much water in it to flow a sluce.
Looks like a good area and worth a look see Rusty Cant locate Dunks Creek in the area , but some times names change over time.
Example from the link posted by Dr Duck, Mount Verong is now called Mount Werong.. its like piecing together a jig saw puzzle and making all the pieces fit .. :/

Latest posts