Crevicing / Small Picks information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here's a neat little pick/mattock I found on Fleabay. Don't know anything about them but it looks nice.

$T2eC16NHJH8E9qSEU6VsBQcmkEuQ-Q~~60_3.JPG

448.jpg

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/280991129209?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

mate these are awespme! im on my third one not from breakages from losing them. if I can give you some advice on the shaft. the wood really needs to be heat treated. give it a good burn and rub with old engine oil. makes a world of difference.

I found a geologist pick out on a dig. Its a great little crevicing tool. Had a play with it and decided I wanted it.
However as much as I like it im sure someone is missing it.
If you can tell me where you lost it and what it looked like we can arrange to have it returned.
Feel free to pm me if you dont want people to know where your digging ;)
Greg

I am sure someone posted loosing one about 3 months ago, can't remember who. I think the post talked about an expensive brand name. If you know the brand you may get a search hit on the post and potential owner.

Had a search but doesnt seem to come up with anything. Nothing about a lost one anyway. Maybe im using the wrong words but im not sure.

Greglz86 said:
I found a geologist pick out on a dig. Its a great little crevicing tool. Had a play with it and decided I wanted it.
However as much as I like it im sure someone is missing it.
If you can tell me where you lost it and what it looked like we can arrange to have it returned.
Feel free to pm me if you dont want people to know where your digging ;)
Greg

I lost a mini stainless pick with a wooden handle - looks like this, not sure where but maybe at Tuena

1414753809_pick.jpg

rgds

Barry

Today the boss brought these in which are used for removing gland packing from valves etc. but I thought they would be pretty handy in cleaning out crevices down the creek.. :D
1434497283_photo-0410.jpg

1434497283_photo-0411.jpg

They seem to have bends in all the right places and have an off set bend so you could scrape on a flat rock without leaving your knuckles skinned.

The boss brought these from Balckwoods and after I rang for the price I nearly fell off my chair.....$290 :eek:

Just like everything I'm sure there is a cheap version on fleebay somewhere but thought it was worth the share :)

Cheers

Pulled one of those out a tyre several years ago, or at least it looked similar. I might have to go back to where I threw it and apologise for the harsh words that were said to it. Looks very handy, and as a sufferer of busted knuckles I can see why you eyed them off. :cool:

I also agree with slowflow, I might need to get Mrs MJB to talk to my better half. ;)

It is very generous what your boss has bought you.must be good working in the land of milk and honey. Lol. If only my boss was as generous I havr to make sll my tooling :p

Wally69 said:
Pulled one of those out a tyre several years ago, or at least it looked similar. I might have to go back to where I threw it and apologise for the harsh words that were said to it. Looks very handy, and as a sufferer of busted knuckles I can see why you eyed them off. :cool:

I also agree with slowflow, I might need to get Mrs MJB to talk to my better half. ;)

I actually mean my work boss ha ha ha...Mrs MJB would not think about blowing that kind of dough on any of my hobbies

Hi everyone,

I plan to build a small crevicing pick from an old plough disc (when I get one) It will need to be small enough for a back pack. I will turn a handle from spotted gum (back sawn spotted gum was traditionally used for handles due to its strength)

If anyone has a pick that works well in the field, I would love to see a photo. I realise that there are a range of good ones that you can buy, but for me, it's the enjoyment of custom making your own. Its almost as much fun as seeing the yella stuff.

I look forward to reading your comments and ideas.

Cheers

Les

Theres a topic full of homemade picks on here somewhere , use the search icon in top left of page :Y: .
Building your own that works successfully is very rewarding indeed , cut plow discs give a good shape :Y:

Latest posts