Counterfeit auto parts

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anolphart

Zol Straub
Reaction score
Buyer beware!

I realise this has been in the news some time ago but it might be a good reminder for anybody who thinks they've found a bargain, particularly with oil filters. This article appeared in MR4x4 https://mr4x4.com.au/counterfeit-pa...ches&utm_campaign=PC+Newsletter+#284+(Weekly)

"New research from the FCAI reveals 60% of online searches connect consumers with counterfeit products. The FCAI is urging Australians to be more careful when buying online.

Chief Executive at FCAI, Tony Weber said,

The advice of the industry is that customers should only trust vehicle parts acquired through the authorised dealer network. We arent talking about clothing or handbags here. Counterfeit automotive parts directly endanger lives.

This research comes hot on the heels of counterfeit spark plugs found on the Australian market; these spark plugs had the potential to cause massive engine failure. Other dangerous fakes found are, oil filters that dont filter oil, wheels that shatter at low speed pothole impacts, brake pads made of compressed grass clippings, and even brake components found to be containing asbestos."

I know which sign I was born under. My mother told me that it said "Keep Off The Grass" :lol: :lol: :lol:

On a more serious note though and more back on topic, I really don't understand why we feel so threatened militarily by China. Can you imagine them trying to fight a war with the junk they make? Rail guns that melt during use, Tents with crappy poles that bend and tent pegs that break, Pants with zips that fall apart and shirts with buttons that pop off. They go to dig in and their spades just bend, fake spark-plugs stop working. Or is it just the stuff that they sell to us that is crap???

Sorry guys, D.S needs to go and dig some deep holes now for therapy...... :pickshovel: :goldnugget:

P.S. At least my pick was made here in Oz by PA member Ronnie. Hasn't let me down yet and I doubt it ever will :Y:

Not wishing to be 'an apologist' for the PRC, but a lot of the stuff you buy 'made in PRC' is not so much exported by them, as ordered by western companies to be made as cheaply as possible to maximise their own profits! A while ago a bloke I was working for in the pool fencing industry was fed up having to buy Australian made stainless steel spigots for glass fencing. These were often of poor tolerance, and only available in the lesser quality 304 rather than 316 SS, and being close to the coast inevitably 'rusted' . No one in Australia was interested in producing better ones at a reasonable cost so he went to China to to find out what was possible. They were only too happy to produce to whatever specification he wanted, so it seems you only get what you ask for from there! I'm not saying this is the case with all goods from the PRC, but certainly some of them, similar to Japan after WW2. Actually just recently I was surprised at a 'find' buried at the base of a power pole we were working around. We found 2 old 'insulators' obviously replaced some time ago, but the surprise was they were 'made in Japan'....dated 1951, onlr 6 years after the end of the war!

Latest posts