Coming to cycle across Australia Aussie Gold Hunters Style 60-80 oz

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U606b8yyxr4[/video]My name is Robert, Im 42, Im looking to fly from China to Australia to pull 60-80 oz in 1-3 months in January. Ill be travelling across Australia by bike with a bike trailer and gear. Im doing careful homework... This is going to b e life changing for me. Im a 16+ year expat in China, and nearly 22 years out of my home country. With 3/4 of my kids Autistic, I am doing is I guess thousands have done before me... only I am doing it with a bike. Do or die life changing. I am just wondering if there are others that have hit targets like the Aussie Gold Hunters...

Hope to learn as much as I can from the forums. On my youtube Channel I have some videos I Watched for research in a playlist.

DeepThoughtCycle said:
[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U606b8yyxr4[/video]My name is Robert, Im 42, Im looking to fly from China to Australia to pull 60-80 oz in 1-3 months in January. Ill be travelling across Australia by bike with a bike trailer and gear. Im doing careful homework... This is going to b e life changing for me. Im a 16+ year expat in China, and nearly 22 years out of my home country. With 3/4 of my kids Autistic, I am doing is I guess thousands have done before me... only I am doing it with a bike. Do or die life changing. I am just wondering if there are others that have hit targets like the Aussie Gold Hunters...

Hope to learn as much as I can from the forums. On my youtube Channel I have some videos I Watched for research in a playlist.
Good luck with your ride mate .Watch some utube on people who have tried what you want to do and have got into a lot of strife . In janurary its very hot in oz and you will need to be really well set up .. Gold is a bit harder to find than what you expect and 60 to 80 oz would be rare .
You can only carry so much prospecting gear in aa bike trailor but wish you luck

All the gear, no idea!

I think you will struggle to stay alive in January in WA with the heat!

Good luck if you go ahead with it, theres no such thing as "it cant be done" but you will find this adventure challenging!

RS

With that detector you could find 5% of what 90% of locals can't find either .

In other words you have more chance of finding gold if you walked along the city streets looking for a gold ring dropped on the sidewalk .

WA is a harsh place even for the locals in a 4WD .

On a bike ? The crocs would eat what's left after the semi trailers have driven over the top of you.

Okay . Enough harsh but true reality out of me.

ok ok i will be nice ]:D ]:D ]:D
we get long, hot summers that last from around October through to mid-March.
The average maximum temperature for January is often 35 degrees Celsius (95 F) or more, and we often have many days above 40 degrees Celsius (104 F) in late January and through February.
min water required for the day would be BUT not restricted to 6lt and at least 2lt at night so that is at least 8lt (8kg) per day that has to be carried

Old Fred said:
DeepThoughtCycle said:

Good luck with your ride mate .Watch some utube on people who have tried what you want to do and have got into a lot of strife . In janurary its very hot in oz and you will need to be really well set up .. Gold is a bit harder to find than what you expect and 60 to 80 oz would be rare .
You can only carry so much prospecting gear in aa bike trailor but wish you luck

Thanks- Appreciate it. Trying to lay out the plan and waypoints over the next year... I have a real sturdy bike and trailer, my biggest concern is water... which I cant take into account untill I know how far Ill be from Civilization.

Out of curiosity, how big of a deal is roaming thieves? I dont know if firearms are allowed .... I rather not have them.... Step by step.... finding out more....

Retirement Stone said:
All the gear, no idea!

I think you will struggle to stay alive in January in WA with the heat!

Good luck if you go ahead with it, theres no such thing as "it cant be done" but you will find this adventure challenging!

RS

YEah Im pretty used to 35-40ish around here in CHina.... one of the biggest issues is how much water I can carry....... DONt know how far Ill be out there... Steps to be planned....

THanks ! YEah I feel as though I am walking in the footsteps of all those old timers who left before me to try to change their families life... seems like a endless loop which has sucked/is sucking me in...

7.62marksman said:
With out a license to have one and you Have a fire arm in australia and you go to jail simple as that no questions asked and then deported
Not looking to break any laws. I am hoping its not needed. Here the SEason 2 episode 7 or so of Aussie Gold hunters talking about criminal gangs rolling around at night on other people leases carrying guns everywhere..

Probably just hype.

Waypoints---
Not accidently mining on the wrong property---
Reality of other peoples max tally on average per month---
Raising enough money to arrive with a gpx5000
Even buying one in China thats not a freaking fake ---
And enough water---

Biggest challenges
Also, I dont look forward to leaving my kids with my wife 3 months alone. WE are all alone here in China, she has mental issues, and I have been by her side for 12 years. I have never been away from my kids. China is a dangerous non-stop histle. I hate leaving them unprotected here. For the greater good I will try.

Here the SEason 2 episode 7 or so of Aussie Gold hunters talking about criminal gangs rolling around at night on other people leases carrying guns everywhere..
All set up for tv its all shit its only to make the show have good ratings nothing more
Mate i am being honest
you have no idea what you are getting yourself into
Read the forum and listen to the locals
Once you hit the central desert if you are not prepared for the heat and snakes you will die as simple as that
I have born here and i hate going into that area in summer i would rather walk across hot coles
Some history when i was in the forces we walked over 300k in the central australia we started with over 60 men water resupply every day by chopper
6lt per man plus food
End of story 46 men got on the trucks at the end the rest went down with the heat and snake bite and had to be choppered out
And belive it or not we thought we knew what we were up against mate we had NO idea at all

DeepThoughtCycle said:
Biggest challenges
Also, I dont look forward to leaving my kids with my wife 3 months alone. WE are all alone here in China, she has mental issues, and I have been by her side for 12 years. I have never been away from my kids. China is a dangerous non-stop histle. I hate leaving them unprotected here.
This is your biggest issue mate
nuff said. :eek:

DeepThoughtCycle said:

Wow great idea :Y:
doing it in January will save packing lots of clothes and the longer daylight will give more peddling time and more hours for your solar panels to charge your gear :Y:
not having a support vehicle following like everyone else would will save you lots of distractions and time :Y:
so you should be able to average 50 kph easy , so peddling uninterrupted for 10 hours a day will get you to kallgoorlie from the GT in under 8 days :Y: so you will have plenty of detecting time on both ends :Y:
the only downside would be if you get 30 or 40 ounces in Victoria it will weigh your trailer down and make it harder to tow at 50 :Y:

Living the dream :Y: :) good luck and dont forgot to get your affairs in order :Y:

What time of the year are you looking at coming over? I would not recommend this venture during our summer months. This could be dangerous even fatal in Australia's harsh conditions. Some of the obstacles u may encounter ie bushfires, monsoonal storms, flooding, drop bears, snakes, spiders, wild boars, dingos, hail storms (unpredictable) not to mention a few. :|

Chuky boy said:
What time of the year are you looking at coming over? I would not recommend this venture during our summer months. This could be dangerous even fatal in Australia's harsh conditions. Some of the obstacles u may encounter ie bushfires, monsoonal storms, flooding, drop bears, snakes, spiders, wild boars, dingos, hail storms (unpredictable) not to mention a few. :|

I can just see the headlines in the papers - a dingo stole my gold !!

Chuky boy said:

Hey chuky boy I just noticed your in tarneit
You ever been down to campbells cove werribee south ?

Went down there many years back looking for fishing spots. Let's just say I did a u turn and drove straight out of there. I don't think the mrs was too impressed to find a heap of naked dudes sitting in their cars in the middle of the day. :8

Chuky boy said:
Went down there many years back looking for fishing spots. Let's just say I did a u turn and drove straight out of there. I don't think the mrs was too impressed to find a heap of naked dudes sitting in their cars in the middle of the day. :8

Yeah she wouldn't have been impressed , the car park is a known pickup place for gays ! Real seedy .
So do you do a bit of fishing ?

Latest posts