Coin or washer maybe?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bez

Reaction score
Hey, i went out prospecting for gold on the outskirts of the Brisbane ranges national park in vic down a creek bed, and found an 10pc and another old coin/washer, i can't tell if it's a coin or not because it's covered in crap. Any tips on how to maybe try and clean it up a little? I'm new to prospecting and the like, not sure how to clean them up properly.

The unknown coin/washer is 26mm wide X 2mm thick, it does look to have an edge on it like a coin(see attached pictures) but the whole thing looks like it would be very corroded, even rusty looking? which is why i think it could just be a washer too.. idk

Any ideas?

Thanks

1386210747_fb.jpg

1386210798_dscn1308.jpg

1386210841_dscn1317.jpg

1386210864_fb1.jpg

1386210881_dscn1318.jpg

Could be a British 2 pence issued after 1992

Width: 25.9 mm
Thickness: 2.03 mm

They made from copper plated steel, which could also account for the severe corrosion and rusty look.

"The first copper-plated steel 2p coins were struck in 1992. The reason for this change was the increase in the price of metals on the world markets. The coins have a mild steel core and are electroplated with copper - consequently they are magnetic."

anyway, i have it soaking in vinegar for now, be interesting to see if it comes out identifiable or not.. i doubt it though.

Cheers

the one thing i can advise with this is dont touch it for 6 hours or so, you will need to change the viniger at least once after that time

Any pre dec coins I find covered in crud I usually pick the crap of with a tooth pick. This usually makes it identifiable. :D

Interesting... hit it flat with a hammer, that would knock the crap off.... not sure if the priceless could would be priceless :p

Looks like it could be a washer going by the first picture on the right.
It looks like a build up of crud in the middle (circular pattern)
Like Silver_fox said hit it with a hammer, if it's a coin probably stuffed anyway.

Latest posts