coin and treasure detecting with a GPX5000

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can anyone help with a suitable setup for detecting on a iron stone pebbly beach by an inland lake. Its a popular spot for swimming/boating and is full of trash.
I have an 11" DD coil that I have never used.

Use the DD, just use the normal timing if it can handle the Iron pebbles. Other timings like Fine/Gold or enhance may need to be used if the Ironstone pebbles give a signal, FG or Enhance work better so they say with mono coils but will still work with a DD set to DD on the coil/Rx but will lose depth compared to Normal or deeper timings.

thanks Heatho, what about the iron reject setting does this do much? I've always been told to leave it off and don't use the DD coil when detecting for gold but coins and stuff is different

A bit of discrimination won't hurt unless there are numerous bits of junk in say every square foot then it will just constantly blank on every swing. there may be good targets under iron also. I'd say dig a few targets see how the Iron junk is spaced out. The discrim on the 5k is not like a coin hunting detector but it does work and can save you from digging some Iron junk. A smaller DD would be better for heavilly Iron infested areas but I'd only purchase another DD if serious on using it as a coin hunter occasionally in such areas.

Set the Iron reject in the middle or a bit higher for aggresive discrim.

See how you go mate, hope you get some good stuff.

yep I'll have another go tonight. thanks for your help, your comments to Ned Kellys Not Dead are also helpful. great stuff

Latest posts