Clodmaster's finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is something very special,a once in many lifetimes find I would think.

Also if it was a fake it would be more damaged and possibly completely gone being in the salt.

Well done great find :Y:

Wow that's a ripper find :Y: :perfect: not sure it was altered to hang from a necklace, position of the loop would have it hanging upside down :| definitely worth having it valued :100:

RM Outback said:
Wow that's a ripper find :Y: :perfect: not sure it was altered to hang from a necklace, position of the loop would have it hanging upside down :| definitely worth having it valued :100:

Yep, I'm pretty stoked with it RM. These coins are stamped with one side 180 degrees to the other. So the head side would hang the right way up if it were on a chain, whereas you'd have to flip it the other way up for the reverse side.

happyenough said:
That is something very special,a once in many lifetimes find I would think.

Also if it was a fake it would be more damaged and possibly completely gone being in the salt.

Well done great find :Y:

Thanks happyenough. I actually didn't think it was anything super special when I spotted it in the scoop. I don't know much about French coins as they aren't exactly what I'm expecting to find in Victoria. So it took a bit of research once home to work out what it was. There's also a 50 Franc French gold coin from the same period that weighs a whopping 16 grams at 90% gold! Vive la France!

Went back to the same spot where I found the gold coin a few days ago. Gave the area a good hammering and found a few more bits and pieces. Scored a cute little bow pendant from the same spot. Also a 1927 thrip and 1944 penny - I reckon there was a coin spill in that small area as its yielded 3 x thrips and 3 x pennies all of a similar age. Found a few miscellaneous brass objects - how does a brass knob end up in the water? The little press stud at the bottom had me thinking 'gold' again! All in all a satisfying hunt.

1580768276_img_20200203_201150.jpg

I went out yesterday. It was the last day of the "Festival of Clod" as I described it to my wife. I've had a few days of work you see and had warned her I'd be doing a bit of detecting. Anyways, I wanted to get some beach detecting in but was waiting for the low tide so decided to try a spot I'd been to once before and found a few coins though a bit of junk too. It's one of those spots that isn't an obvious place to detect at, just a bit of grass with woods on one side and a road on the other. So I start swinging off to the side I bit where I haven't swung before, close to the road, and my very first hit is an ear-piercing 37 on the Nox. Now most times you get a 37 you think "junk", at least I do. I was expecting a brass tap, number plate or someone's prosthetic hand, but instead I revealed a solid silver broach. There is an inscription on the back containing some personal information so I'm going to do my best to get it back to the owner. The inscription is dedicated to Janine and the broach is a gift from her mum and dad for a special occasion. It's hard to see in the photo, but there is a diamond (I'm pretty sure it's real) inlaid near the bottom left hand corner where the tail of the main design ends. I'd love to be able to return this to Janine so I'm going to contact the local newspaper to see if they will run a story. I think it's been lost for a number of years, but there's a good chance Janine is still around and living locally.

1580892285_janine_broach_front.jpg

1580892806_img_20200205_195123.jpg

Hi all. This is from the same hunt as the big silver broach. The best find (apart from the broach) is the 1943 florin. I like cleaning these up - the best are the older gothic ones. I've included a before and after pic. This hunt was a combo of land and sea. Nothing great came out of the water, but if you see a one eyed man, tell him I have his glasses!

1581217505_finds_20200205.jpg

1581217506_img_20200204_194926-collage.jpg

A bit of everything this weekend. Of the seven thrips, four of them came from a spill. I like the jewellery, especially the bigger piece with the bird on it, which after some research I found is Victorian from the "aesthetic movement". The watch parts have come up well after a soak in some vinegar. The big silver circular thing is a powder case. There's a Canadian 10 cent piece for something different and keeping up my recent habit of finding letters off cars an "F".

1581240805_img_20200209_202223.jpg

1581240806_img_20200209_202325.jpg

Flowerpot said:
Hi Clod , I love that big old spoon, can I buy it off you if you want to part with it? :D

Are you serious, Flowerpot? It's pretty fried. Has some hallmarks on the back which I can't read. I think it might be silver plated, but not sterling given its condition. You are welcome to it for free. Just send me a PM and we'll sort it out.

Heatho said:
Nice find, yeah as Art said, I like a good high tone as well. Highest tone my Nox gave was on a 2.5oz .999 ingot of silver that I found in a park, TID was 39.
I better stop walking over those TIDs :8

Latest posts