Clermont camping information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Heading up to Mackay end of next week and will be going out to Claremont on way back. Can anyone let me know if there are any free camp areas (not fan of van parks - love the bush). Have never detected outside of Vic so I understand a QLD fossickers licence as well as fossickers kit is required. Anything else I need to know?

thanks

Spending a few weeks in Clermont and was wanting to know if there are any other options for camping in the area apart from Clermont Caravan Park and Theresa Creek Dam ? Prefer bush ................... not worried about cost simply enjoy the solitude :) So even private land owners that would let you camp for a fee.
Respectful of property owners and what I take there I also take home with me.

Try getting onto the Outback Prospector shop (JP). They might be able to help but the Caravan Park & Theresa Creek Dam look like it unless you can find private property? No camping on the GPA's apparently.

Thanks mbasko spoke with Frieda (JP's wife) earlier today and was no one she was aware of that was offering. Might just wing it and get to meet a few locals in the pub might be best bet.
Thanks for reply

No probs .................. checked there and just for others info cost is now $15 a night for non powered. Gensets allowed.
:)

Bogger said:
No probs .................. checked there and just for others info cost is now $15 a night for non powered. Gensets allowed.
:)

G'day Bogger. Is that Theresa Creek Dam that's $15 a night for non powered?

Thanks

Theresa Creek Dam is good but just gets a bit costly fuel wise as you clock up over a hundred K a day if you go out to McMasters. If your there for a couple of weeks adds up to a lot of K's and bucks in fuel. :rolleyes:
But all good as since posting this back in April had got onto some free camping at Clermont but sadly unless the natives friendly up a bit I'd rather just travel further North ................ More gold and a much more friendly attitude adds up to a far more enjoyable trip :)

Bogger said:
Theresa Creek Dam is good but just gets a bit costly fuel wise as you clock up over a hundred K a day if you go out to McMasters. If your there for a couple of weeks adds up to a lot of K's and bucks in fuel. :rolleyes:
But all good as since posting this back in April had got onto some free camping at Clermont but sadly unless the natives friendly up a bit I'd rather just travel further North ................ More gold and a much more friendly attitude adds up to a far more enjoyable trip :)

An overnight stay I would recommend a little motel type thing down the road on the main street from the local.
Probably not for everyone at around $80 or so but we ate and drank till we burst, showered and slept well, ready for the next 10 hrs or so of dodging roos, cattle and roadtrains.

Gem in I said:
Bogger said:

An overnight stay I would recommend a little motel type thing down the road on the main street from the local.
Probably not for everyone at around $80 or so but we ate and drank till we burst, showered and slept well, ready for the next 10 hrs or so of dodging roos, cattle and roadtrains.

To be quite frank and honest any accommodation outside the van park in town is the way to go as their hungry attitude = -10
Yes the road north towards Charters Towers gets interesting and further North after that even more so .................... love the heavy vehicle calling points ..................... that many don't use :rolleyes: Come around a corner and a road train with two or three dogs is using all of what little bitumen / road you have :eek:

Bogger said:

Theresa Creek Dam looks nice but I'm going to stay at the caravan park in my camper trailer for that exact reason Bogger, fuel isn't cheap :eek:

Well I'm already north of Clermont :) I live in Mackay. I probably should be heading north for my trip but this will be my first time in the gold feilds so I want to do the training course with JP so that's why I chose Clermont.
I'll be heading north for my next trip for sure.

Wayno37 said:
Bogger said:

Theresa Creek Dam looks nice but I'm going to stay at the caravan park in my camper trailer for that exact reason Bogger, fuel isn't cheap :eek:

Well I'm already north of Clermont :) I live in Mackay. I probably should be heading north for my trip but this will be my first time in the gold feilds so I want to do the training course with JP so that's why I chose Clermont.

I would be keen to hear your experience and recommendations of clermont after your trip.
I'm taking couple of days off work late November (training incl). ;)

Wayno37 said:
Bogger said:

Wayne not sure how long you plan on being there but grab your permit and do a few days on your own first. You may flounder or struggle a little but it will give you a better idea of what area you are having problems with (if any) and what questions you need to ask. What are you swinging ?
Also as you come into Clermont from the Emerald side just before the big roundabout where you turn left to go into Clermont there is a Caltex truck stop and you can free camp there. There is a bit of truck noise but for a two week stay it saves you over $400 compared to park
Showers and toilets are clean and the owners have a great attitude. You will also meet up with fellow prospectors and some that have been going there for 15 to 20 years.
Enjoy your trip good luck and hope the locals are friendly to you.

Bogger said:
Wayno37 said:
Bogger said:

Wayne not sure how long you plan on being there but grab your permit and do a few days on your own first. You may flounder or struggle a little but it will give you a better idea of what area you are having problems with (if any) and what questions you need to ask. What are you swinging ?
Also as you come into Clermont from the Emerald side just before the big roundabout where you turn left to go into Clermont there is a Caltex truck stop and you can free camp there. There is a bit of truck noise but for a two week stay it saves you over $400 compared to park
Showers and toilets are clean and the owners have a great attitude. You will also meet up with fellow prospectors and some that have been going there for 15 to 20 years.
Enjoy your trip good luck and hope the locals are friendly to you.

G'day Bogger. I'm in Clermont now and loving it, I'm staying at the caravan park I'll be here until Tuesday. The caravan park caretakers are new and their really nice :D
I done the training course with JP this arvo and we found gold, got my first little taste of gold but it only weighs .9 of a gram lol but it's a start. I have a gpx 5000 mate.

Wayno37 said:
[G'day Bogger. I'm in Clermont now and loving it, I'm staying at the caravan park I'll be here until Tuesday. The caravan park caretakers are new and their really nice :D
I done the training course with JP this arvo and we found gold, got my first little taste of gold but it only weighs .9 of a gram lol but it's a start. I have a gpx 5000 mate.

Good to hear and glad your enjoying. Good stuff on the gold also and yes it's like someone walks in front of him casting little gold nuggets like wheat when JP goes looking :D Do you get to keep the gold you found ? ;)
Wayne what coil did you have on when you found your first yella ?

Yes mate I got to keep the gold from the training lesion. I was using a Mono coil mate but JP was using a new demo coil that will be released on the 7th next month. We both swang over the same nugget both of us using a 5000 but he had the new demo coil I had a mono and the difference was huge, could only just hear it with my detector/coil and it really stood out with the new coil so fair to say I'll be putting a deposit on the new coil before I leave.

Bogger said:
Gem in I said:
Bogger said:

To be quite frank and honest any accommodation outside the van park in town is the way to go as their hungry attitude = -10
Yes the road north towards Charters Towers gets interesting and further North after that even more so .................... love the heavy vehicle calling points ..................... that many don't use :rolleyes: Come around a corner and a road train with two or three dogs is using all of what little bitumen / road you have :eek:
Have u talkie on channel 40 and u get plenty of warning

Old Fred said:
Bogger said:
Gem in I said:
Bogger said:

Have u talkie on channel 40 and u get plenty of warning

Fred yes I understand this but the point being made is that many don't use it so has no relevance what channel or even if the radios turned on :mad: I find the better way is to be the one doing the calls even though I'm not a heavy vehicle. As you know road up there just out of Charters is narrow and a lot of blind corners :eek:

Latest posts