Cheap GARRETT ProPointer on Ebay ??

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys, a born again detector just having bought a second hand Garrett AT Pro after
originally buying a Minelab Goldseekers something or other in the 80's.

Retired now so looking to spend some time with my youngest son having a bit of fun
out in the fresh air.

My location is south coast NSW.

My question today is there are cheap ($60+) Garrett PinPointer/ProPointer hand detectors
on ebay (China) for not much money as against a couple of hundred dollars purchased
elsewhere.

Am I comparing apples with apples here or are the cheap ones to be avoided.
Anyone bought one of these, and if so, how do you rate it's performance?

Budget is now limited after buying my AT Pro. Can anyone suggest a low price pinpointer
that does the job?

cheers and happy detecting
Wayne

Ded Driver said:
I seen those too, but I also found an article somewhere showing pics & describing how good a copy the EXTERIOR is, but the guts are useless!
Buyer Beware!!
Did the article explain how to recognize a good copy from the original , having purchased a 2nd hand unit ?

Hi Wayne, contact Nenad at Phase technical (forum member) and he will help out with some advice.
But usually if it is very cheap it is a copy and you are wasting your money.
How do you get warranty and if it does not work what do you do.

You do see secondhand ones here sometimes or you could put a wanted to buy.

Cheers

The original fake Chinese Garretts were actual counterfeits, like the one on the left here:
1533016477_china-garrett-pro-pointer-fake-comparison-09.jpg

More fakes:
1533017704_china_fake_ebay2.jpg
1533017723_china_fake_ebay.jpg
1533017791_perth_fake.jpg

The most obvious giveaway was that they all had very similar serial numbers! Now, eBay is also full of orange Garrett imitations from China, which look like a Garrett 'carrot' style pinpointer but don't have the false "Garrett" name on them. There should be videos on YouTube still, showing how badly all the fakes/imitations work.

moeee said:
Ded Driver said:
I seen those too, but I also found an article somewhere showing pics & describing how good a copy the EXTERIOR is, but the guts are useless!
Buyer Beware!!
Did the article explain how to recognize a good copy from the original , having purchased a 2nd hand unit ?

Moeee, No mate, it point out however, that it is nearly impossible to tell on the outside. The case is near on a perfect replica. (almost) funny bit tho was that the article did point out that the aerial looked better than the real thing!
Unfortunately I have a habit of browsing thru lots of crap at random & not really noting what website im on, or I would post a link. I will see if I can find it again tonight
Actually those pics from GRUBSTAKE might just be from the article I was reading

I have bought two pin pointers, the first from road tech marine, $60 it comes on about 150mm from almost anything and there is no noticeable difference between 150mm and 0mm, not much good for pin pointing! The second also $60 GP pointer from China does everything I thought it should.
Matt T

I brought one a few years back and it lasted no more than 10mins and the switch fell apart..Never got a refund..Brought a nockta RS that's been flogged for the past 2 years and is still going strong.And it was $130 new. :Y:

Hi Wayne,
I am in Bega most days.
Send me an email and I will line you up and show you a
true garret Pin pointer.
Click on email under my Avatar.
I have one the same as you are looking for.
Quite happy with it's performance
but it sends my SDC mad if you bring it any where
near it.

Not so much in the goldfields but if you're ever beach detecting the Garrett actually sh1ts all over the Minelab ones.

It's like night and day tbh.

I have a Minelab one for the GT and a Garrett for parks/Beaches.

btw were they, Garretts, the original battery powered pinpointers?

What annoys me about the minelab is the lack of consistency. Usually have to keep resetting it in the GT to get it working ok and sometimes it takes a few tries. It's always been like this since buying new from Minersden in Mitcham.

I am happy to look at Pinpointers, but must admit; some can not be repaired as they are fully epoxied and no serviceable parts...

Black Garret = too much risk due to their issue with falsing. Evan after a repair the risk is high.

PF is epoxied and NO repairs...

All Detexnix, fully repairable = Nenad

Fake Garrets = Most do not power up the same as a real one... Not a true Pin-pointer = They act like a detector... If you have the shakes, then they work OK...

A true Pinpointer will keep sounding, even when the pin-pointer is dead still and on the target. The fakes all go quite...

Still do not like paying $$$$ for a small cct board that has 0.02c worth of components. Deteknix etc at least has USB recharge, Lipo Batery, rate led and a few functions... And under $200

The Garret and others still run 9V batries and some basic functions and > $200

The Go Find 20 or basic ACE has 110% more electronics in the screen and a coil and shaft and cost the same as the disposable $235 plus Pin-pointers = ROFLMFAO.. Why to we like getting done over.

SORRY Guys; just a Grumpy old man Rant LOL...

Tathradj said:
Hi Wayne,
I am in Bega most days.
Send me an email and I will line you up and show you a
true garret Pin pointer.
Click on email under my Avatar.
I have one the same as you are looking for.
Quite happy with it's performance
but it sends my SDC mad if you bring it any where
near it.

Thanks Tathradj.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a SDC ?

cheers,
Wayne

Bought a GP Pointer for under $50. Great bit of gear for the price. Cant fault it yet.

Latest posts