Chasing the source

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Generally I will detect for the yellow stuff, but I'm getting interested in doing some highbanking and other forms of prospecting.

So, I understand the principle of the "gold source" but I'd like to hear some ideas for finding a source or if someone could point in the direction to get more information, I'd be grateful.

Option 2 : I'm barking up the wrong tree and should be swinging harder and further or shovel more dirt !!!!!

Bazz

you should look for indicators such as changes in the bedrock in some areas in gippsland these changes are termed dykes they are in most cases narrow seams of intrusive rock with quartz veins running through the bedrock or in some cases large bulges the color usually light grey brown or in some cases black

johnb said:
you should look for indicators such as changes in the bedrock in some areas in gippsland these changes are termed dykes they are in most cases narrow seams of intrusive rock with quartz veins running through the bedrock or in some cases large bulges the color usually light grey brown or in some cases black

just like this....... ?

1391165739_dyke2.jpg

casper

Hey mate
In my opinion the more ways you learn how to find "Gold" or prospect the better off you will be as there are some things that are specific to each type of prospecting, you will have much more knowledge at your disposal for when things get lean.
good luck.
cheers
Lee

get a copy of the prospectors guide its full of info on gold prospecting including locatings some parts are a bit outdated but overall it contains usefull info

Get to know 'alluvial' versus 'eluvial' and how the gold looks differently in each case. Find eluvial gold, you are closer to the source. Alluvial can be miles away.

Alluvial Gold (Deposited by water movement) and

Eluvial gold (disintegration of rock at the site where it originates - not there through water movement)

Latest posts