Cash transactions becoming obsolete

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MegsyB007 said:
My first banking experience was a little Commonwealth Bank tin money box that came with a bank book saving account, that I got when I started Primary School in 1970. I deposited 20 cents in it every week via the Commonwealth Bank rep coming to the school who collected all the kids' money and bank books, and he wrote the amount deposited in the book and rubber stamped it then gave it back to me. (You don't get service like that from them anymore!).

I saw the introduction of credit cards, plastic savings account cards, eftpos and electronic banking, and banking apps.

Typing classes were done on a manual typewriter at school. I saw the introduction of electric typewriters, and used a telex machine to send urgent messages. I saw the introduction of DOS computers, video games, photocopiers, facsimiles, and had the very first Apple computer within 6 months of it's release at my workplace, that started a 34 year love affair with Apple/Macintosh computers (and counting) with me, and I suffer at work with a PC too.

I've seen the introduction of printers and modems and email, intranet and the internet, scanners, video and digital cameras, Bluetooth, SatNav and iPads.

We had a black and white television as a kid, and went from that to colour tv, VHS video machines, DVD players, cable tv, digital set top boxes and broadband.

We had a radio and a record player as a kid, then got a cassette deck, stereo, CD player, DVD player, MP3 player and digital radio when they were all invented.

We didn't have a phone when I was a kid! We got a landline when I was seven that had a dial on it and a cord that people just couldn't help curling around their finger! Then we got the cordless phone many years later. I operated a switchboard of 60 phone lines at work, and have owned several types of mobile phones now.

I just grin when the younger generation deigns to tell the older generation that they have to learn to adapt to changes and new technology or get left behind.

Like we haven't been doing that for our entire life...

The irony is that we can get on with life during power cuts but the iphone generation will be unable to find their own asses wihout google maps should nature call :D

my first radio was a crystal radio then went to a little tranny that was before they grew feet and couldn't fit in your pocket(oops sorry) then the mighty cassette radio some with twin cassettes eight tracks in the first car. radios not standard in Aussie cars til the Japanese forced the issue wonder why we dont manufacture much anymore
told to go register at the unemployment office when i left school so did walked in registered walked out went down the road and got a job at popes making 250 hp electric motors all gone now ooh soo sad for our grand kids :argh:
Pagan P

Latest posts