Car battery

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only had to reset the clock the other day...

You Guy's seem to no a lot about battery's and batteries :lol:

Way over my head that is for sure

Goody :) :)

jethro said:
I dont know where you guys get the Idea that a cars ECU / PCM / BCM computers need to be powered to retain memory. We quite regularly pull ECM/ PCM /BCM s and send them for testing or repair. no power. they work just fine when they return. Same when replacing toasted engines, clutches, Transmissions etc. about the only thing you need to do after reconection is set the clock and code the radio.
Ive spent nearly 25 yrs as a diesel mechanic and another 6 or so working on cars. learnt a far bit about single and multi battery systems over the yrs as well as starter motors Alternators etc.
Bottom line is if you are going remote then get your battery and charging /starting system load tested before you leave and replace anything that doesnt come up trumps.

Reminds me I must go and take the batteries out of the boat as wont be seeing any use this yr. :rolleyes: :mad:

Well if that's the case then why do cars loose all the settings to the radio and the vehicles setup settings and the driver preferences every time you remove the battery without using some form of backup power supply, ??

I also trained as a mechanic back many moons ago.

I,ll have to stand corrected as I havent had to worry about driver preferences too much as customer is usually more concerned with having a vehicle that does its core duties Ie starts, drives, stops. we normally reset the radios after disconnecting power. but most times vehicle setup just defaults to factory with a dead battery anyway. What Make and model are you referring to and I'll have a look in the tech bullitins we get. Is it european?

My Perentie's battery is under the passenger seat.
I looked at it a couple of years ago to make sure it was secure and in good order. It was there then and I have no reason to doubt it's not still there now.

As for losing settings if taking the battery out? It has no clock, no radio, no drivers seat preferences or mirror angle ...heck it doesn't even have power steering!
Maybe I should check...it could be gone and I've just never noticed :eek:

jethro said:
I,ll have to stand corrected as I havent had to worry about driver preferences too much as customer is usually more concerned with having a vehicle that does its core duties Ie starts, drives, stops. we normally reset the radios after disconnecting power. but most times vehicle setup just defaults to factory with a dead battery anyway. What Make and model are you referring to and I'll have a look in the tech bullitins we get. Is it european?

The one we have had the most trouble with is my brothers 2017 VW Touran 2.0 TDI Sport we had a power supply fitted to the OBD Port but the NOCO GB-70 Boost timed out after 7 hour and shut off and when that happened we had to reset all the features and settings and we had 7 error codes come up, 5 reset them selves when the car was driven down the road and back but the other 2 codes had to be reset and then we spent about 8 hours going through the software with a laptop hooked up to the OBD Port which is not easy because a lot of it is written in German, We just got that right and then it happened again the next day when the new AGM Charger turned, But no where could we find out why the Noco was turning off and then we found out that their power output socket shuts down after 7 hours so then we had to reprogram it all again only this time it was easier because we had already done it once so we knew what to look for,

Mine is 2017/18 Ford grand Tourneo Connect Titanium TDCi 1.5 DuraTorque, It's a MPV version of the Ford Transit Connect Van,

I'm not saying that this will happen to all computerized Cars because we had never had it happen before but we just bought these vehicles at the start of the year and had no idea what a PIA just a simple task like charging a battery could cause And because it was so unexpected I am suggesting that we should all hook up a backup power supply system like the Noco or NJ's lead doodad because you never know if or when it might happen and in total it cost us about 13 hours to correct the problem over the 2 day period,

madtuna said:
My Perentie's battery is under the passenger seat.
I looked at it a couple of years ago to make sure it was secure and in good order. It was there then and I have no reason to doubt it's not still there now.

As for losing settings if taking the battery out? It has no clock, no radio, no drivers seat preferences or mirror angle ...heck it doesn't even have power steering!
Maybe I should check...it could be gone and I've just never noticed :eek:

The power steering gets put back every time you buckle up and turn the key, :Y:

madtuna said:
There lies your problem.
You have to expect such when you drive a cross between a shopping trolley and a lap top instead of a real car :D

LOL, Ain't that the truth,

Mine being a Ford has been Good but my Brothers VW is a PIA, and the worst thing about it VW will not sell you a Workshop Manual for it and no one makes one for it either, so you are locked in to paying them big bucks to get it put right at over $300 an Hour,

Had a big rant about euro cars typed out but lost the post So yeah RR I HEAR YOU on the extortive prices charged by dealers. We really need a Lemon law in this country.

jethro said:
Had a big rant about euro cars typed out but lost the post So yeah RR I HEAR YOU on the extortive prices charged by dealers. We really need a Lemon law in this country.

Yeah they do charge like a wounded bull Ay,

Last Summer my brother had a 2007 model of his VW and he had to get the Clutch replaced and it has a Duel Mass Flywheel that has to be replaced when ever the clutch is replaced, VW wanted about 2500.00 for the Clutch and flywheel and another 1900 quid to fit it, That's 4400.00 which is about $8500.00 AUD, damn car was only worth about $12,000 AUD.

The thing to take from all of this Goody, is that your battery and it's associated system needs a regular service to ensure you of trouble free operation.Ihave a full service twice a year with my Prado and the same for the Subaru XT,it only takes a few minutes for your Auto-Electric guy to check for you how your Electric system is fairing. Great to know your on the road again. :cool:

Latest posts