can anyone have a stab at what this is for me please

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1446551378_20151103_214916.jpg

carnelion or amber,.. if its amber it will sink in fresh water and float in salt water. :)

Will try it, i tried to scratch it with quartz though and it didnt scratch it at all that i could see.

It didnt float. From what i can see its not mych lile other carnelions its very plain but fully seethrough like quarts

You may have to tell what other minerals are in the area with it so as to give someone more to go on for armchair analysis. :)

It was on the coast in sediment outcrop sarounded by sand and right next to the sea. I dont know much about this lol

east coast has plenty of minerals making their way to the coast,... we find forms of agate that have no bands at all, from clear through yellow, orange and all the way to red in SEQ(even grey). :D

Part of a broken beer bottle, washed up after 60 years on the bottom of the ocean, :lol: :lol: Rely I have not got a clue.

Cheers, DD

maxxis 628 said:
It was on the coast in sediment outcrop sarounded by sand and right next to the sea. I dont know much about this lol

That narrows it down to about 36735km of coastline, lol. A specific gravity test will tell you more than a simple scratch test.

My thoughts are, Chalcedony, Carnelian, Quartz, all are Silicon Dioxide (SiO2) type minerals. All have a similar hardness and specific gravity.

Hope you work out what it is.

Looks like agate to me as there are alot of them at bellata that have that same look but very hard to say from here but i do have a few examples exactly the same

Bit hard to make positive id from just a photo but it looks very much like chalcedony to me. Chalcedony will be pretty hard and tough and will not scratch easily.

Latest posts