Camping Recipes / Cooking ideas

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Roasted marshmellows! Lol. :)

But more seriously, a lovely marinated butterflied leg of lamb on an open fire is delish. You can buy them pre marinated from most supermarkets and butchers.

I have only tried it once on an open campfire but it turned out great. I was on a boating trip with my brother so it wasn't really camping as we had access to a fridge. We found a small secluded beach and set up a campfire. We found some thick pieces of wood/forked branches, cut them to size and inserted into soil on either side of the fire. I borrowed an oven shelf and wedged the branches Inbetween the metal bars. Placed the lamb on top and cooked just like you would in an open BBQ for about 30 mins in total.

Came out wonderful, the only problem we had was we wernt terribly observant when picking the beach and didn't notice that shells extended well into the shoreline. It didn't take long for the water level to rise taking the beach and our campfire with it. It was really quite funny because for the last 5 minutes or so the water had engulfed half the campfire, but it was still burning. We had to make a mad dash to the boat, lamb in hand, before the entire beach disappeared. :)

I was lucky enough to grow up on a tropical island where we used to go spear fishing every weekend and camp out on small deserted islands. I was only young at the time but my dad used to simply gut and tail crayfish, dip in the ocean for seasoning, wrap in foil and place under the fire. Can't recall how long he cooked them for, but it didn't take long. Best crayfish I have ever had, better than any restaurant. Tip for easily cleaning the poop shoot out of crayfish: break one of their antennas off and shove it up their butt as far as you can, thinnest side first. As you pull it out it takes all crap out with it. :). As for seasoning with salt water and wrapping in foil i don't see why you can't use the same method with fish, although by foil wrapping you do lose out on the smokey flavour.

I have to come and visit each one of you in turn,please advise when and where you will be camping lol. Lovely recipes and some interesting ones as well.

Would like to share with members a tried and proven recipe for a tasty (come back for more) starter to your favourite bush meal while relaxing with family and friends. Note: Yabbies make an alternative to crab meat.
CRAB AND SWEETCORN SOUP
Ingredients:
1.5 litres chicken stock
250 gram fresh crab meat. (Canned crab meat will suffice if none available.)
125 gram can creamed sweetcorn.
1 tablespoon cornflour.
1 tablespoon sherry
2 teaspoon olive oil.
teaspoon sesame oil.
2 eggs beaten.
2 shallots (finely chopped.)
Method:
Bring stock to boil in a large wok or pot.
Add crab meat and corn and simmer for two minutes.
Blend cornflour, sherry and oils and add to wok, bring back to boil then remove from heat.
Immediately pour in beaten eggs in a steady stream to form a pattern on surface.
Decorate with chopped shallots and serve immediately.
Bon apetite

Whole potatoes
Whole sweet potatoes (small)
Parsnips
Beetroot whole
Wrap everything individually in foil and Chuck in the coals to roast. When done, unwrap, drizzle with oil or smear with butter, salt and pepper.
Do the same with a chicken breast/leg etc (pre seasoned salt, pepper, sweet Smokey paprika)
Easy and simple but so yummy.

This is a real "wind maker" :D
Pease Pudding
This wonderful recipe for Pease Pudding.

The earliest recorded version of Pease Porridge Hot is a riddle found in John Newbery's Mother Goose's Melody (c. 1760).

Pease porridge hot, pease porridge cold,
Pease porridge in the pot, nine days old;
Some like it hot, some like it cold,
Some like it in the pot, nine days old.

It is delicious as a chunky spread on ham or bacon or traditionally with saveloys. A great recipe for all those left-overs on the last day of camp - jet propulsion homeward, ha, ha.

Ingredients
1 packet of split peas (350 grams approx.)
1 large potato (cut into cube pieces)
Bacon or ham stock
Pinch of salt & pepper
Instructions
Wash the split peas.
Cut the potato into small pieces (cubes).
Combine the peas with the potato pieces, add some salt and pepper and, using a pudding cloth (this can be a square of approx. 30-40cm of calico or muslin or even an old linen tea towel), tie the mixture up tightly (just like a pudding) with some twine or string around the "neck", squeezing any excess air or volume from around the peas pudding mixture.
Pour the stock(off the shelf) into a saucepan and bring nearly to the boil. Immerse the pudding in the stock and simmer for two hours.
When cooked, remove the pudding from the stock and place in a bowl. Untie or unclip the twine from around the neck of the pudding (remove cloth and twine). Add just a little of the cooking stock to the bowl and lightly mash the entire mixture together. Serve hot like, this or store covered in the refrigerator until desired.

G'day all , thought it would be a good idea to see what you blokes eat/cook while out in the bush ? The mates and I try to keep our meals pretty simple , one meal we eat most times we camp is "the pie jaffle" it's very simple , place a cold pie into the jaffle iron and cook it as you would a normal jaffle. Comes out crunchy and hot and goes down a treat. Anyone else got a quick simple meal to share ?

If you are really comfortable around your mates, you can't go past bake beans, hot or cold, they are filling and full of fibre.

But they are a bit like a good Curry, the after effects being the issue.

You don't say what type of camping, because I got a caravan, with a stove, microwave and fridge, so what I eat is pretty well what I eat at home.

:)

Gotta agree with both of you... Can't beat a Jaffle though I've never tried a pie in one. Baked beans are a must have when camping. Check out my homemade baked beans in the camping recipes below. They are great in a jaffle.
There are a couple of other cooking related topics on the forum.

Camping recipes.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=335

Prospecting food.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6442

Today I cooked.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2320

Here is a meal i do quite often it is quick and easy and i just love it. cheers Jembaicumbene

1460936548_2z.jpg

1460936594_1z.jpg

1460936637_3z.jpg

Meat Loaf, Potatoes & Gravy

(very tasty and the only thing you get dirty is the Camp Oven)

1 lb lean ground beef
cup milk
1 egg
2 tsp dry onions (or some onion soup mix)
cup bread crumbs or cracker crumbs
1 can cream of mushroom soup
4 potatoes

Mix everything together but the potatoes and soup and form into a loaf.
Spray inside of 10 inch Camp Oven with oil and put the loaf into the Camp Oven.

Cut potatoes into quarters and place around the loaf. Pour the can of soup over the meat & potatoes. The soup will become gravy for the potatoes.
Cook with most of the heat on the top. It will cook in about 45 minutes to an hour (but check it every 15-20 minutes). This serves 4.
Double the ingredients and use a 12 inch oven to serve 8. Triple the ingredients and use a 14 inch oven to serve 12. (larger quantities will take a little longer to cook

Jembaicumbene said:
Here is a meal i do quite often it is quick and easy and i just love it. cheers Jembaicumbene

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/6236/1460936548_2z.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/6236/1460936594_1z.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/6236/1460936637_3z.jpg

Meat Loaf, Potatoes & Gravy

(very tasty and the only thing you get dirty is the Camp Oven)

1 lb lean ground beef
cup milk
1 egg
2 tsp dry onions (or some onion soup mix)
cup bread crumbs or cracker crumbs
1 can cream of mushroom soup
4 potatoes

Mix everything together but the potatoes and soup and form into a loaf.
Spray inside of 10 inch Camp Oven with oil and put the loaf into the Camp Oven.

Cut potatoes into quarters and place around the loaf. Pour the can of soup over the meat & potatoes. The soup will become gravy for the potatoes.
Cook with most of the heat on the top. It will cook in about 45 minutes to an hour (but check it every 15-20 minutes). This serves 4.
Double the ingredients and use a 12 inch oven to serve 8. Triple the ingredients and use a 14 inch oven to serve 12. (larger quantities will take a little longer to cook

Morning J,
Don't doubt it would be very tasty but a couple more steps and it would be tastier.
Cut up a whole onion into onion rings, line the bottom of your CO + oil first then place your loaf & potatoes, + Sweet potato and carrot. Cook for half hour then add your gravy for last 15/20 minutes.

Stop it your making me even more hungry, :lol: Top ideas guys i will be given them a go for sure. Admin i don't mind if you move the post to this section. Camping recipes. https://www.prospectingaustralia.com php?id=335. cheers Jemba.

PS i could not find that area when posting could it be moved into this section just a thought.

ALOO DUM (POTATO CURRY)

1 lb new potatos fairly small
1/2 teaspoon garam massala
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
pinch of dried ginger
2 oz sour milk
4 oz gee or butter of other fat
1/2 teaspoon cumming seed ground
salt to taste

Put turmeric, coriander, pepper and ginger into a bowl, add a little water and work into a past. Scrub potatos and boil them till they are done but firm. Mix the spice-past into sour milk {i used butter milk} and smear it over the potatos. Melt the fat in a saucepan, put in the ,cummin and garam massala. Add the potatos, cook for a few minutes, add two tablespoons of water, allow to simmer for 5 minutes and when then when nearly dry,remove and serve.

This gives enough for two. when on a trip I premix the spice-past ingredients. Funny enough this is not a hot curry at all, but it does taste very yum indeed.

1461012547_2750_copy.jpg

I swear by a good hearty feed after a hard day.
Simplicity and tasty!
Since becoming a fan of them for a while now, I find i don't even go for snacks after a couple of good bowls of it.
Chunky cuts is best I believe.
Aldi gravey beef
Spuds
Sweet spuds
Carrots
Turnip
Peas
Corn
Tinned tomatoes x2
Slow cook sauce x2.
Table spoon of garlic
Table spoon of green peeper corns
Cup or red wine
Mustard size jar of Massaman paste
Tin of champignons mushrooms ( including juice)
1 tin of coconut cream
1 tin of coconut milk
Splash of chilli flakes
:perfect:
Good dipping roll
Kicking it off on the first day to get started.... heat beads i find fine, till you collect your fire wood

I often make up a Batch of Bush Chilli

Use a 10L Saucepan
Cover the bottom with Sunflower/Olive or Cooking Oil, and Heat it up,

Add 500g or 1kg of Mince Beef and sear it off in the saucepan
Add One Large Chopped Onion and stir in to the mince and let cook for 5 or 10 minutes,
Add 2 tins of Chopped Tomatoes,
Add 2 tins of Red Beans and Stir In,
Add a Large Punnet of Chopped Mushrooms,
Add 3 large chopped Capsicum's,
Add a 450/500g Jar of Uncle Bens Hot Chilli sauce ( Don't Worry when it's added to the Mix it's not Hot ) and stir it In and allow to Simmer for 5 minutes,

Then Add a Litre of Water,
Add 4 Beef Stock Cubes or OXO Cubes and stir in,
Then add 250/500g of Pasta and Stir in and let it Cook,
Once the Pasta Is Cooked Add 2 Desert Spoons of Gravy Granule's and Stir In,

This will make enough for 6 to 8 People OR grab a heap of those Takeaway containers that Chinese food comes in or a Load of Tupperware Containers and Freeze it in to single portions or enough for 2 people,

If I am heading of anywhere I make up a batch and Freeze it before I go so then I only have to Grab one out of the ARB in the morning and by Teatime it's thawed out ready to Heat Up, In the Hot weather Just take one out the freezer when you need it and drop it straight in the Camp Oven, :Y:

Enjoy.

saut 2 med onions in small amount of oil until near translucent (3~5 mins)
add a few cloves of crushed garlic, some fresh ground ginger and fresh ground turmeric (or 1 tablespoon of garlic powder and 1/2 tablespoon each of ginger powder & turmeric powder)
add 6~8 real finely crushed candle nuts or macadamias
its even better if you blend all the above in a blender first, then add it all to the pan and cook for 3~5 mins until fragrant
stir all together about 1 min
if ya want it hot, now add ya diced chilli's (include the seeds ya sooks)
add ~1.5 kg diced chicken thighs or beef, cook med heat while stirring 3~5 mins so meat is all covered. Burn the chicken a wisker for flavour!!!!
add chicken or beef stock, enough so liquid is about 1 inch below top of meat, bring to a slow simmer
add 1x large diced tomatoe, 1x 425g coconut milk (not cream!!), juice and rind of 1 lemon, 2 sticks of lemon grass (or 1/2 tablespoon of processed lemongrass) and stalks of coriander
season with salt and pepper
simmer with lid on until meat is done, chicken about 40mins, beef about ~1 hour (depends on cut). Last 5 mins add some coriander leaves
Serve with a good rice. Enjoy!

This is my camp version of a curry I learnt from an ex when living in Borneo... it was her favourite family meal. Its called Rica Rica (pronounced Richa Richa) and by far the best meal I've ever had from Borneo. Everyone I've cooked it for here in Oz absolutely loves it and wants this recipe. It really suites chicken more than beef because with beef you should also be using the C spices (cumin & cardamom).

Even better the next day

this is how it looks when using chicken cooked at home..
1602499912_img_0732.jpg

and this can be the result if ya use too much chilli
1602499958_img_2552.jpg

1602500234_img_2557.jpg

Jonny Cash ~ Burning Ring Of Fire :(

Got to have a good hand full of Sultanas or Raisins tossed in..

Not sure exactly why but my old man always wants Sultanas in his curry's; I will have to ask where it came from. He also hates the corned meet of today; he recons it is all chemicals and nothing like what they did on the properties.

I can remember as a kid the beef stews we had, which would them morph into a curry.... Lamb shanks were for the house dogs - Choko's, Turnips and Parsnips and other fast growing beans and veggies or one sort or another. These days they all seem to the TRENDY and way over priced. Every old outhouse always had a Choko or passion fruit vine growing over them..

Mum only ever had what FRESH vegies that were growing at the time but plenty of Salted beef / Lamb and lots of dried stuff and dried fruit.

My memory says the food was great and the puddings were top notch - but the memory is biased for lots of reasons.

I love a curry. At my local Asian grocery they have Curry Master mixes which are easy as to make and taste terrific. I like the Fijian Chicken Curry, but all the ones I have tried are delicious. One of my girls suggested them, and I was pretty skeptical until I tried some, because for 45 years I have been cooking curry from scratch.

You generally add the mix to water and throw in the meat and whatever else you like.

Here is the link to the company:

https://www.currymasters.com.au/product-category/complete-curry-mix-2/

Funny story about those sultanas.

Old fashioned sweet curry recipes often had sultanas or raisins thrown in and apple and banana too.

My mother in law was probably one of the worst cooks in the world. She once made Spaghetti Bolognese and put apples and bananas in it, much to the horror of all the kids.

I reckon her reasoning was that apples and bananas go into curry, so why not into bolognese?

Her kitchen was truly the place where the flies went to die!

It fits my theory that a lot of kids of my generation (mid to late '50s) were pretty wary of new foods. In those days you knew what you were likely to get by the day of the week. So Friday was fish and chips (the only takeaway) Saturday steak, Sunday lunch Roast Lamb, Monday curry made from the left over lamb, and so on through chops, sausages etc. Chicken was a delicacy, which was why the chook raffle was a pub staple back then.

Even if your mum was a bad cook, you got used to the usual menu. But every once in a while mum would get a recipe from the woman's weekly (an aunt once served us up tuna and rice casserole with pineapple, from a Golden Circle advert), or even worse make something up (the bolognese with apples and bananas).

So you learned to approach new dishes with caution.

Latest posts