Buying a gold bug 2 and what coils are best to use

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi my name is olly and I'm really new to metal detecting I've been looking at getting a fisher gold bug 2 and that was all well and THEN I got something like this what coil would you like with it a 6inch one a 10inch or a 12inch one and I was left shaking my head and yes I have try google and well you know google some days. Next question what head phones are best to get I've been looking at gray ghost head phones and i like them but can you get better my budget is 200$ for head phones and last are gray ghost head phones even compatible with a fisher gold bug 2 thanks. ?

Welcome Olly, most people seem to rave about the small 6" concentric coil due to its sensitivity on the really small gold, though the 10" coil goes deeper on the larger nuggets. I have seen the GB2 in action detecting around shaft spoil piles in white clay, it really is incredible how smaller bits of gold that can be picked up by this detector - almost pin head sized stuff.

Here's a link to Steve Herschbach's write up on the GB2, it has a fair bit of useful info to browse through. :)

http://www.detectorprospector.com/g...t/fisher-gold-bug-2-nugget-metal-detector.htm

WOW A SECOND HAND GB2 JUST WENT FOR $1053 ON EBAY ...SECOND BID WAS $1012.....HELL THINGS HAVE GONE CRAZY WITH THE AUSSIE DOLLAR YOU COULD ONCE BUY ONE us $769 AND the high aussie dollar just about paid for the frieght ...now they are something like $1400 new is oz ..and cant get them sent here i believe due to distribution rights

Latest posts