Bush tricks - share yours here...

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smoky bandit said:
Upside said:
Any 'tricks' you've aquired out in the field , camping etc please share them here!....

1 I've picked up is if a trees been hit by lightning , the dried timber doesn't burn. This will save you cutting the timber for fire wood.
Someone's pulling ya leg mate :D ..If its dry it burns like any other wood :D :Y:
no it doesnt :Y:

ctxkid said:
Smoky bandit said:
Upside said:
Any 'tricks' you've aquired out in the field , camping etc please share them here!....

1 I've picked up is if a trees been hit by lightning , the dried timber doesn't burn. This will save you cutting the timber for fire wood.
Someone's pulling ya leg mate :D ..If its dry it burns like any other wood :D :Y:
no it doesnt :Y:
Well mine does...Ive burnt plenty.....ive had 3 trees over the years hit by lightning on my property...1 burnt for hours...i just cut em down leave until dry ...and have been using one in the fire most of this winter..So Imo and experience...its a wivestail but Obviously it wont burn if it's still green :Y: :Y
Im really interested as to why some say it wont burn..as mine burns fine :Y:

Yep, many Chinese restaurants use bi-carb in the marinade for beef. It works pretty well, and results in those fillet steak dishes that are actually made of topside or worse! It also is used to get soft and tender chicken.

Here one discussion of the technique.

http://www.notquitenigella.com/2016/04/20/velveting-chinese-beef-chicken-pork/

Eldorado said:
Regarding the bi carb soda meat tenderising,I have heard it called velveting.Here is the technique.
https://www.tastingtable.com/cook/national/baking-soda-meat-tenderizer-cooks-illustrated

At mid day point the hour hand of your (analogue) watch at the sun and that will be North. (Allow for daylight savings when and where applicable)

If you are susceptible to mossie bites place the back of a hot teaspoon on the bite, the heat neutralises the toxin. Yes it will hurt, but not for as long as the mossie bite.

As an aside, the hot thing also works for Jelly Fish stings and the like. Use a towel soaked in really hot water and apply to the affected part.

aussiefarmer said:
If your travelling corrugated roads dont pack tinned beer in the trailer , they will rub through :(
Yep hollow beer cans are not a good way to end your day.
And cheep Chinese Steel jerry cans with the welds around the outsides that when you sit them down the welds rub on the bottom of your trailer our ute tray and eventually wear through and leak. The proper jerry cans have welds that are sunken in and don't wear out as easily.
Drink the beer first.

When you go off prospecting wherever, when you leave your camp to go swinging make sure your deck chairs are either pegged down, folded up and put away or placed a decent distance from the probably still very hot camp fire. Sorry to say it but I have come back twice over the last 45 odd years camping to find not just mine but a couple of others chairs a smoldering wreck. Oh ! and if camping in mountainous areas watch those gully winds they can blow sparks through your camp site and set light to stuff in no time flat. Happy camping.

A well shaken can of warm beer makes a great fire extinguisher.....
And Shake your real Fire Extinguisher often when in Storage, as the powder settles over time and when you need it, it will only put out a Puff of powder and that is NOT good when you really need it... and very Embarrassing when you say 'Stand aside I've got this'... :8 :p

LW....

You can also do that with a 6v Battery like the Dolphin torch ones or a 9v smoke detector style battery... Steel Wool burns really good and very Hot... :Y:

LW....

Dron said:
Flowerpot said:
Always carry a packet/jar of bi-carb soda in your camp supplies.
You can brush your teeth with it, you can settle an upset tummy with a small tspnful in a mug of water. You can polish your camp silver with it, you can raise your flour with it in a damper or scones annnnnnddddd,
If your going to whip up a big stew on the fire made with lightning struck wood and the meat may be a little bit tough?
Fear not, just add a teaspoon of bi carb to the pot, it will froth up for a few seconds, but then it settles in and the meat, no matter what the cut, will become as tender as two tender things put together.
Works every time.
I've used it at home in stews because quite often the 'lamb' chops we've bought from woollies have been as tough as old boots.
Pretty big bloomin' lambs, think they're actually RAM chops.
Yep BI-CARB SODA. Keep it in your camp tucker box.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Great tip FP! Bi-Carb soda is also great to treat ant bites - most ant bites contain formic acid, and bi-carb neutralises the acid.

yay I used this tip on the weekend after getting green ant bites and yep it works. Pain goes away quickly.
4 bites and now a few days later itch is insane.

My old Dad and I camped out together hundreds of times, running trap lines for rabbits mostly- about a hundred to a hundred and forty traps a night. For one or two night trips we had a double bed roll wrapped in an old tarp. The tucker was carried in an old pillow case and was condensed down as much as possible- milk powder, sugar, weetbix and mugs all wrapped and packed inside the billy can. Salt and pepper mixed together and carried in a little mustard tin. Another little tin had spare matches, spare pocket knife, bit of cord and half a candle in it. For longer trips though one thing Dad always packed was an old ironing board with the cover removed:) They weigh next to nothing, pack flat on top of your load. Takes one second to set it up at any height you like. Great table for food prep or whatever- you can hang a heap of stuff off the sides and sit buckets and boxes on top- but best of all they make a fantastic fish cleaning table- the scales fall through the mesh and you just chuck bucket of river water over it and your knives when you're finished. Job done. Jay.

Latest posts