Burn't Out Jack saying hi.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All
I'm new to this business but been doing a lot of online research and recently got myself a GPX 5000. The online posts are a great source of valuable advice and so I decided to join. Not my usual forte but i'll give it a go.

How did I get here? A very good question!
I needed to take a break from my business in construction in Ireland after 8 long years of recession and strife. My wife needed to visit her family in Sydney & Canberra and so here I am for 3 months to god knows when. To get me off my ass & motivated I came across a website on gold prospecting and became hooked. I needed something out in the open to get me away from it all and improve my overall health.

We were staying in Canberra where I hoped to start but found that Detect a Den had moved to Batemans Bay. Since we were also staying in Moruya for a weeks holiday I tracked them down there and got set up with a bit of gear courtesy of them and Bunnings which is a great place to source quality gear at a not so expensive price. Also ran into the Forestry office while i was there and got a fossicking licence (as I was unable to do so on their website)

So far my results have been:
1. A tour of Braidwood Valley down as far as Numerella.
2. A day in the bush near Moruya panning in a stream only to find the stream was way too full and too deep. Nearly got lost looking for a smaller tributary after attempting a short cut. Learnt a few lessons there on what not to do.
3.Managed to acquire and get the GPX 5000 working with a 15"x11" Coil. Success was an 1980 5cent piece at 6'' by a track followed by a rusty nail and a tinny cap.
4. Found the Moruya gold camp but was so overwhelmed by junk that i made little progress. No gold to date but i will not give up. Hope to see you out there. :rolleyes:

Gday Jack and welcome......

Just remember mate if your finding old timers rubbish it means that the area your working hasn't been hammered..... ;)

good luck and may the yellow find you.

red

Onya Jack, happy an healthy is your real aim anyway, so don't be purturbed by the junk you dig, as it's all along the road to adventure where good health and experience are gained along the way ,.... just remember to warm up the body in preperation and add in a little aerobic respiritoty activity as well, as that seems to be the little something that gets missed, sure we might sweat, but that's just because it gets hot sometimes. ;) :)

Latest posts