Bunnings sluice

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Paul

I run a similar bilge pump and find the volume is good, check out the 'bunnings sluice' thread for photo.

I have not cracked a recirculating setup yet but here are my thoughts:

- I have my pump mounted in a 150mm PVC pipe with bottom cap and 8 mm holes drilled in a couple of inches from the bottom to give some room for the slop. The intent is to raise it as the bucket fills with slop.
- the fine floating shite is what I need to work on next, am thinking an inverted bucket for this, so it goes 2/3 of the way down the PVC tube, with about 1" gap all around.
- if this still does not work well was thinking adding an extra fine filter screen inside PVC tube

Until I get a solution I am limited to humping dirt to a water source or pulling the pump apart regularly to remove fine roots, which I can do with a Johnston branded one.

Open to other ideas ? 8)

Hi Wally, I was thinking of having the pump in a large plastic crate, have a 20litre bucket to catch the return water, the bucket has a outfall slot towards the top with mesh over, thought process is, the bucket catches the dirt, clean(er) water flows in to the crate and back thru the pump?

Cheers,
Paul

I face the same issue Wally, solved in part by placing a really fine shade cloth over the top of the collection to eliminate floaters and drawing the flow from about one third up from the bottom of the container. Not foolproof but mostly effective.

paul_mac1 said:
That's a big pump, did you have it restricted or running at full bore?

Thanks,
Paul

There only 1 speed on these pumps there lose lot power as soon as you raise the outlet they are designed t0 pump downhill not uphill much. I only bought it to use as camp shower but it never worked very goog above about 1 mtr lift

Oh ok, wasn't sure if you had an inline tap on it or what, just seems a bit much for such a small area.

Cheers
Paul

I been catching fine flower gold with this :)

When I recycle I had a smaller bucket in the top of a large one with a slot in top for water to flow over into large bucket where the pump was , the small bucket caught the wast sand/dirt and I empty it when full .still mud found its way into large bucket after time and bucket my pump up .

paul_mac1 said:
Hi Wally, I was thinking of having the pump in a large plastic crate, have a 20litre bucket to catch the return water, the bucket has a outfall slot towards the top with mesh over, thought process is, the bucket catches the dirt, clean(er) water flows in to the crate and back thru the pump?

Cheers,
Paul

Paul - I meant to say photos of my pump working are on the 'bunnings highbanker' thread

Sorry to bring up an old thread.

I build one of these bunnings sluices a few months ago and it works really well. But I had a question about what size pump I should be running and how much water over the mats.

Im currently running a rule 500gph pump but I have a Hella 1750gph pump aswell. Would I be better off using the bigger pump and have more water over the mats?

Thanks Ben

paul_mac1 said:
Hi, this is the one I use -
You only need 300mm drop over the length of the sluice.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the quick responce.

300mm over a meter? Ive only been running at maybe 50mm drop. Will give that a crack and see what happens.

Hi all, just joined but have been panning and sluicing for about three years with my son. We are in NE Vic, had a play around Woolshed with some colour for our effort. Have been using plastic pans, quanta pan and tin pans large and medium, gold seems to stick to the tin pans best; but the quanta is by far the quickest. I like to sieve the material into the pans to speed the process up. We have been using sluices we have made and find them a lot quicker and easier on the back, we have made a hand pump for finishing off in the crevices, works well and gets what the shovel can't. Hope to catch up with some fellow diggers in our area.
Cheers All.

Latest posts