Bullet shell identification

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danmuss

Danny
Reaction score
Found my very first Bullet casing in a park in Syndey, I've no idea about ammo and searched net high and low to get details on markings..
Identification markings are CAG ( I think cause
It's very hard to make ou) and also the number 10
1395381781_image.jpg

By the look of it and the following it is an 7.62mm Round.
GUWAHATI: At least 2,000 Assam Police personnel, who were engaged in fighting militancy, carried their AK-47s without ammunition for nearly two years. The Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) in its 2007-08 report revealed the Assam Police did not receive the ammunition till March last year.

The CAG report tabled in the state legislative assembly on Saturday stated that during 2004-05, the ministry of home affairs supplied 2,000 AK-47s at a cost of Rs 1.60 crore without any ammunition. The police department, after a lapse of nearly two years, placed an order for the supply of 3,25,976 rounds of 7.62 mm x 39 ball ammunition for the AK-47s valued at Rs 96 lakh with the Ordinance Factory at Bharangaon.

But the ammunition was not received till March, 2008. The report further said that in September 2008, the DGP said the ammunition could not be collected due to non-receipt of delivery and non-availability of railway wagons.
Ref: "India Times"

wow dude cool info, lol... does this mean someone shot a A.K 47 off in the park lol but I guess there could be 100 reasons how it got there lol

Maybe a history search of the park and area will reveal all. :)
Or maybe some one dropped it.
How deep was it.?
Not going to ask which park it was in, That's yours.

Yeh lets just say this park has probably never been searched with the amount of things we are finding ;) lol

It was about 3-4inches deep.
Yeh that was my next plan on sunday to search the history of that area see what I can find..

Tathradj said:
By the look of it and the following it is an 7.62mm Round.
GUWAHATI: At least 2,000 Assam Police personnel, who were engaged in fighting militancy, carried their AK-47s without ammunition for nearly two years. The Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) in its 2007-08 report revealed the Assam Police did not receive the ammunition till March last year.

The CAG report tabled in the state legislative assembly on Saturday stated that during 2004-05, the ministry of home affairs supplied 2,000 AK-47s at a cost of Rs 1.60 crore without any ammunition. The police department, after a lapse of nearly two years, placed an order for the supply of 3,25,976 rounds of 7.62 mm x 39 ball ammunition for the AK-47s valued at Rs 96 lakh with the Ordinance Factory at Bharangaon.

But the ammunition was not received till March, 2008. The report further said that in September 2008, the DGP said the ammunition could not be collected due to non-receipt of delivery and non-availability of railway wagons.
Ref: "India Times"

You say 7.62mm round, I measured it and it's 4.69cm in length..as I said I don't know anything about ammo so is your length the thickness or length ?

Hi, I see this post has sort of died off, but can I throw in a guess, I don't know everything about old ammo but I do know a bit. It is a bit hard to guess just off one pic and not physically looking at the shell, you say you measured it at 4.69cm so I am guessing that the head diameter is around 1.8cm. What I think is that this case is of an early design low pressure black powder case because where the primer has been struck there is a large round impression, newer ammo designed for smokeless powder operate at higher pressures and use a smaller thinner firing pin to prevent the primers rupturing when fired. It is hard to tell if the case is complete and if it is necked down, squashed in or broken on the end but I think it may be a .577 British military cartridge, used by the NSW Government in the 1880's. I could be wrong as I said at the start I don't know everything and it is hard with only one picture, I would post a link but I have not made enough posts yet.

Hey mate thanks for the advice, I can post more pics if you want to help identify it? Yeh I only got a littl help on this so more would be grateful :)

Yeah no worries mate, try and get some of the neck end so I can try and work out if it i complete of if there is some missing, I got no idea where old mate got this 7.62 idea, to my knowledge there was never a version f the 7.62 made with a rim, they were all rimless.

Not 7.62mmx51 AKA "308win"

It resembles what's left of a'
7.62mmx54 case here's a pic'
1397905515_image.jpg

I believe it was first produced back in the early 1890's

Interesting, looks like a steel case (cheaper then brass used for military) I think you will find the head stamp is CAC 0.1 not CAG 10 which would be correct it it is a .303 British it looks about the right size in the pics(looks bigger in the original pic) and the .303 was originally designed as a black powder cartridge, I feel that the large firing pin indent is not right for a .303 but it is possible that some one used military surplus ammo in an old ex gov falling block .303. I was wrong with my previous statement there was 2 different 7.62 rounds developed with a rim but both seem to be bigger then what is in the picture, as in they have a larger rim on them, still not 100% sure on it.

Yeah Zuke there was a shorter version as well but i don't think it is the rim looks to small and the large primer indent dose not seem right for a round designed or smokeless powder, yes the 7.62x54R was made in a steel case. I could be wrong, it has happened before.

Yeah my other thought was a 303 or maybe 30/30 iv got some old 30/30 steel cases I shot a few years back, which ever it is is more exciting to research what it was doing there to start with :)

Looks like a standard .303 round that has been broken off. Not an AK round.

Latest posts