Broken the Ice at Blackwood!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevewilko

that's right it was me....
Reaction score
Broken the Ice at Blackwood ?

Well it wasn't gold; it was a 1947 thrupenny bit.
A threepence coin in very good condition down around 20cm.

I consider I have broken the ice with a coin! - but something is wrong.

I moved away from Albion Mine after about 10 hours of coil on ground. No gold using both coils.
I worked all the sluiced country down both sides and detected around Albion itself. I was learning.

Considering changing ground, I studied south along Albion track to the first three ways divide.
This is highest point at Albion. To the right there are three hard hills with four gullies, eventually meeting Perry Reef and farther to long gully.
There is evidence of workings alright, protruding quartz veins of considerable width. Intersections of brown sandstone. Evidence of detector prospecting. A old claim notice expired 1983 still stands. When you reach to Perry reef, these are large and deep diggings. A lead running North'ish west to South'ish East over the faces of these three hard hills and through the gully bottoms.

I decided a planned approach of a hill top per day. All the hard ground from high point along the hill top down the gully face to the gully. (500 m? 5 hrs?)
Next I divided the height of the hill in half and do a circuit mid height right around the entire hill. I detected around the diggings as well.
Next I undertook a zig zag pattern anywhere down the side at the third pass looking for a spill.
The gully bottom showed deep loam, evidenced by a dig and by the health and profusion of bracken and vegetation in general. I did not detect the gully bottoms.

I have done this on all three hills and have about 30 hours of actual detecting there. NO Gold!

So it is a case of either / or ...
The operator.
The country.
The detector.

I have found 400 grams of small lead. Buckshot, Bird Shot, larger bullets and shot. 22 bullets and shells. Shotgun firing end caps brass x 3. Aluminium pigeon ring. I have shirt buttons, all manner of small steel and ironstone. I am discounting any thing of size where all these mentioned finds were from good depth. I am running a quiet enough threshold with only some litter knocks and rubble and ground giving off sound. I check all targets. The lead at depth was always a good signal from threshold, not screaming but I haven't had a subtle threshold signal - ever. It is low and slow everywhere, the coil face is heavily marked now.

Blackwood is proven gold field country. Apart from the mines there is consistent diggings and detecting evident, but perhaps not a lot of it, particularly from the sites I have just been over. I mentioned the evidence before, plus I can find red impregnated and red stained quartz, sandstone and slate rock, plus, I sighted old Chinese Pottery and very old black brown and green glass. It's not the Country is it?

I used the 15 x 12 mono fairly exclusively. I was never too far away from factory presets, but I did take my written notes with me and re read and implemented different settings during these days and hours. It is very smart technology, very sensitive and my aerial test of metal pick signals above the coil at all the settings did not show much variation. I have signals higher than the joiner of the shafts and screaming at or below it during all settings. It can't be the machine!

What am I doing wrong.
Any volunteers!
Anyone with any history, or their experience at these digs about?

Wah Wah Wah 8.( 8.( 8.(

If u are finding buckshot u proberly havent put u coil over gold yet . Last time i was at Top Camp qld i went a day just digging the stuff u listed and started to have seriouse doughts about my detector . Next day 3 pickers in the first hour .
Sometimes its easy to think u equipment is not quite right but genually u just not in the right spot .

Hi Steve if u want to find gold in Blackwood you need a small coil I use 8" mono in Blackwood seems to work well but it's hard work in that terrain you really have to get down and dirty to find gold there but it can be rewarding..cheers

Ive detected at Albion a few times and both sluiced out runs down to Nuggety and Long gully and never found any gold but have found gold at the southern end of Nuggety creek. A lot of it is overgrown and its tiger snake territory so make sure you get yourself gaiters if you ever wander down that way ;)

I had the same experience when I started out with my 4500 and 15x12 mono provided with the kit.
Borrowed a 8" mono and found my 1st piece; only 0.21g but it was at least gold. Then bought a 8" of my own and found a few small pieces. Then bought the 11" Elite and started finding gold fairly regularly. I'd be looking to get a newer coil. Let's face it a lot of ground has been done to death, and the best chance around the Vic GT is with newer technology that finds gold that old technology didn't. Just my view.
Cheers and good luck.

Agree with Micky and dig in it. The 8" and 11" are both awesome coils for Blackwood. I especially like the 8" because you can get into the little nooks and crannies. And always check the ruts at the bottoms of the tailing piles. Move any leaf litter and branches that are on benched out sections where gold could possibly slow and get caught up. A lot of the gold between greendale and Trentham is caught up in the bed rock and iron stone.

Thank you to everyone.

I must say I had the 'bring in the big bomber coil' in my approach, the go deeper and slower than others that have been before.

But it is important to commence to find gold more often then never to maintain a positive mindset.

Appreciate your input,

I might research the 15 x 12 mono's capacity within the quote - "the best chance around the Vic GT is with newer technology that finds gold than old technology"

Happy New Years To All...

I have never detected much of the Blackwood area, way to steep for my old legs.
I had similar experiences as you in the Taradale area. Hours and hours going over good looking ground, old diggings gullies etc.
Even went back over ground burned by fire looking for clues like long drops etc to put me on the right spots the old timers were. Nothing. At least 10 weekends without a wazoo. I started to move out away from the diggings and onto the inclines around about( not to steep but I was younger then !!) and bingo.
Like Big Wave said you haven't walked over it yet.

GT :)

I know it sounds stupid but it does happen, make sure you are not in cancel mode.
The 8x6 nuggetfinder sadie coil is pretty deadly on small stuff only trouble is you pick up the hot rocks
The new evo coils are really good and others seem to swear by the mono elite coils so do your research l am sure the results will come

I've been accidentally set into "Cancel" mode twice last year by a green scoop in my RH pocket triggering the switch on my GPX, and lost hours of detecting (what a dumbass).
Now days, if it ever goes that smooth, I immediately check the font panel.
Just one of the reasons I now have my GPX running a little jumpy (with higher RX and Stab settings).
Tryhard1968 showed me to stick my scoop in my gaiters which works well - thanks mate.

Latest posts