Boosters and Headphones for SDC2300

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all

I know this is a very old thread though hoping since the last post there may be some extra info on the topic.
I have had very good results with my SDC2300 since starting detecting this year, usually just using the built-in speaker. However, like others have said here, when determining whether a perceived very faint signal is legit or not, can be hard when the speaker is pointing away from me, or is moving to and fro as well. I have used the new headphones it comes with and a high-quality set of Etymotic HF5 ear bud speakers. Even though they make the signal stable from machine movement, the cables are a pain in the ar5e when moving around in long grass/bushes etc. Don't know how many times I've snagged the cable in something (including harness/backpack) and pulled them out of my ears. Therefore I don't use them much, except when I'm really trying to decide if a faint signal is real or not. (I have had a few cases whether after a minute or so (switching back and forward from setting 3-4&5) I could have tossed a coin on whether the faintest of signals was legit or not... only to err on caution and ended up digging up a deep 2-4 gramer.

Depending on the ground/location I'm at, I usually have the Sensitivity between 3-4 setting (4-5 can make too much of a warbling pitch noise which can hide faint signals) and the Threshold about half way (5-7).

Now, I am really considering buying the PRO-SONIC Universal Wireless Audio System that comes with the SDC2300 adapter cable https://www.minelab.com/accessories/pro-sonic
I've read some mixed reviews though starting to think, even though they are reasonably expense, they may be as good as anything when you consider the ease of use, technical specs and fit-for-purpose.

Does anyone have any experience with these on the SDC2300 or other detectors, or just some further advice about them?

Cheers,
Crocket

Hi Crocket,
My lovely lady uses a "trumpet" on her SDC and is over the moon not having to use the other burdensome accessories, headphones etc etc etc.
She pinged a 0.03 along with the other 45+ bits last trip.
She does hole her skid plate within two weeks though groveling in the red dirt and rocks.

Hi Crocket,
the Pro-Sonic will firstly give you a cordless option, like the 7000 and 6000 do already offer and that universal and not only on Minelab detectors - but those are different technologies.

The WM-12 technology as discrebed in a other forum by Steve Hersbach: (and it seems the PRO-SONIC uses that same technology, only being an extra to get rid of the cord.)

-------------
Wi-Stream (used in CTX 3030 and GPZ 7000 detectors)

Wi-Stream uses efficient low-power digital audio transmission to achieve no perceivable audio time lag (<10 ms) from the CTX 3030 / GPZ 7000 to the WM 10 / WM 12. With multiple channel capability, this wireless technology provides reliable communication with maximum sound quality. Wi-Stream does not transmit audio data, like other technologies (e.g. Bluetooth). Instead packets of data are sent to the WM 10 / WM 12 and then converted to an audio signal within the WM 10 / WM 12. This increases the speed of signals and greatly reduces the effects of electrical noise. The Wi-Stream radio signal is transmitted from the control panel . Therefore, if the CTX 3030 control panel is submerged underwater the radio signal will be blocked by the water and no target signals will be produced from the WM 10 / WM 12.

Wi-Stream Specifications Frequency: 2.4 GHz ISM band (same band as Bluetooth)
Power: <2 mW - transmit from both detector control panel and WM 10 / WM 12
Channels: 14
Wireless compliance standards: ETSI EN 300 440-1: V1.6.1 (2010-08) Electromagnetic Compatibility with Radio Spectrum Matters and ETSI EN 300 440-2: V1.3.1 (2008-11) Electromagnetic Compatibility with Radio Spectrum Matters

-----------------
The topic here is or was more about headphones, which is an issue of itself. I use the WM-12 that comes with the GPZ 7000 and that is not bad at all: speakers closer to the ear and a potential headphonecable just from there to the head - very convinient.

So if the PRO-SONIC uses that technology it would very well sound good with near to no time delay.

The headphones i have tried where all good by itself and that ment, that over-ears where "better" than ear-buds - but a very good newer ear-bud with noise canceling might even be worth a try. What I am afraid of, is that I do not know what piece has been charged and what not, so I feel fine with my Koss UR-30 and a backup - both can be used with the cord itself (without the WM-12) if needed.

Latest posts