Bone conduction headphones with APTX codec

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ages ago I started looking for some bone conduction headphones to use with my Vanquish 540. I dont like over ear headphones as I like to know whats going on around me.

I have a Shokz open run headset and its unusable on the detector because of the delay - maybe 250mS or so.

I spotted this review for this Haylou headset. As they have the APTx codec they seem like they might work so I ordered some. They cost $50 so its a bit of a gamble but not too bad.

When they arrive I'll update with a review. It would be good to hear if someone else has tried them.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005933910988.html

They look really good but I prefer to drown out some of the ground noise between the coil and the stones however for that price they should to be good value.

Unfortunately these look to have the aptX HD codec which is ~250ms also.
It's important to know/understand that aptX has several different codecs which are basically just a way to allow devices to transfer data. aptX has aptX, aptX HD, aptX Adaptive, aptX LossLess, & aptX Low Latency codecs.
For each of these codecs to work as intended the source device e.g. detector & the listening device e.g. headphones must both have the same codec installed.
Minelab detectors have the aptX Low Latency (LL) codec to enable low latency transfer while maintaining reasonable audio quality so to get the best low latency results you need to source headphones etc. with aptX LL.

aptX HD is more aimed at high resolution audio but at a higher latency.

A useful guide here from Avantree:
Screenshot_20240409_175001_Samsung Internet.jpg

They may still work & you may still find them ok but it's likely they won't be any/much better than the 250ms headset you have?

Well that a big bummer!

The review video show the guy gaming and the response seems near immediate.

Oh well I'll have to wait and see how they perform.

thanks for the info.

Edit - it's pretty murky as to how these work.

They have the Qualcomm QCC3044 bluetooth chip which supports aptX aptX HD and aptX Adaptive.
Hopefully it negotiates the connections and will shake hands with the the Vanquish 540 and end up with an aptX link. I'll have to wait and see when they arrive!

Last edited:
Well that a big bummer!

The review video show the guy gaming and the response seems near immediate.

Oh well I'll have to wait and see how they perform.

thanks for the info.

Edit - it's pretty murky as to how these work.

They have the Qualcomm QCC3044 bluetooth chip which supports aptX aptX HD and aptX Adaptive.
Hopefully it negotiates the connections and will shake hands with the the Vanquish 540 and end up with an aptX link. I'll have to wait and see when they arrive!
They should pair with the Vanquish but likely only with standard Bluetooth (SBC).

Minelab manuals say any Bluetooth headphones will connect (the Qualcomm QCC3044 also has SBC) or with devices containing the aptX Low Latency codecs. It's unclear what Qualcomm chip Minelab detectors have though.

Unfortunately it appears only aptX HD might be compatible with aptX LL (they say it's backwards compatible with other aptX codecs) but that wouldn't be any better, transfer wise, than SBC.
aptX Adaptive is only compatible with aptX HD & aptX.

From prior experience & the experience of others, various other aptX codecs tried (& even some devices claiming low latency) will only connect with SBC & won't connect with the low latency ᛒ+

Thanks Matt.

They have an app for setting up the headphones. In the app there's a setting you can turn on for low latency. Whether or not this option exists or works for this model I guess I'll find out in a few weeks!

Keep us updated when they come.
Recently been told that a set of earbuds with aptX Adaptive connect to the GPX6000 & the latency is good, although I haven't personally tried.
If they are connecting & the latency is ok I'd suspect the chip in the Minelab detectors has both standard aptX & aptX Low Latency. This would mean aptX Adaptive is connecting to the standard aptX & giving latency of about ~70ms which a lot would find acceptable. That opens up some more headphone/earphone choices if it's the case.

It's important to know/understand that aptX has several different codecs which are basically just a way to allow devices to transfer data. aptX has aptX, aptX HD, aptX Adaptive, aptX LossLess, & aptX Low Latency codecs.
For each of these codecs to work as intended the source device e.g. detector & the listening device e.g. headphones must both have the same codec installed.
Minelab detectors have the aptX Low Latency (LL) codec to enable low latency transfer while maintaining reasonable audio quality so to get the best low latency results you need to source headphones etc. with aptX LL.

aptX HD is more aimed at high resolution audio but at a higher latency.

A useful guide here from Avantree:
View attachment 13355

They may still work & you may still find them ok but it's likely they won't be any/much better than the 250ms headset you have?
Are >>aptX Low Latency<< the “ONLY” type of aftermarket headphones that will work on the GPX 6000.??

Are >>aptX Low Latency<< the “ONLY” type of aftermarket headphones that will work on the GPX 6000.??
No all Bluetooth headphones will work but you will only get the ideal low latency (no noticeable delay) with aptX low latency compatible gear.
When connecting you will get the ᛒ+ with aptX low latency headphones & with standard or other Bluetooth ᛒ only.

I have not yet had a chance to test out the Haylou headset yet but I did a quick test to compare it to the Shokz Open Run head set.

I spun a piece of wood with a $2 coin taped to either end on my coin tumbler.

I recorded the response of the speaker only, the Haylou headset and the Shokz Open Run headset. I slowed the video down to about 0.2 of normal speed to make it easier to judge.

As Matt rightly said the Haylou are definitely not aptx low latency.

They are definitely faster than than the Shokz but not by much.

I think the Haylou respond in around 2/3 of the time that the Shokz take.

Until I spend an hour using them I won't know if they are fast enough not to be annoying.

Speaker

Haylou Purfree Lite

Shokz

No all Bluetooth headphones will work but you will only get the ideal low latency (no noticeable delay) with aptX low latency compatible gear.
When connecting you will get the ᛒ+ with aptX low latency headphones & with standard or other Bluetooth ᛒ only.
Thank you very much for that valuable information. I lost the headphones and cord for my GPX 6000 so I’m just looking for a replacement(s).

This is an important question for me: If you or anyone knows, can you please tell me if the Minelab Manticore and Equinox have the “exact same” wired headphone plug as Minelab GPX 6000??

https://detectorpro.com/headphones-equinox-600800/
=======================

Last edited:
I finally got to test the Haylou Purfree Lite bluetooth bone conduction head set with the Vanquish 540.

They are no good. There's too much delay for them to be practically usable.

So the outcome is - don't buy them for detecting use. For general headphone use they work fine.

Latest posts