Black shiny rock

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 9887

I found a patch of this black shiny rock. It doesn't affect the metal detector and it doesn't attract the magnet. I think it's volcanic glass that's been extruded from the quartz rock.
Looks like tin mate, but just as bigger average size. Casiterite or something like that.

1685503713811.png

I found a patch of this black shiny rock. It doesn't affect the metal detector and it doesn't attract the magnet. I think it's volcanic glass that's been extruded from the quartz rock.
The black volcanic glass (obsidian) that I've seen, breaks with smooth faces, like actual glass. All of your stuff is textured.

The black volcanic glass (obsidian) that I've seen, breaks with smooth faces, like actual glass. All of your stuff is textured.

Yes you might be right although this looks like it's been extruded through a gap in the rock rather than broken.

Definitely no processing in the area. It's a gold producing area with lots of hollow and burned looking quartz.
Do any of the quartz pieces laying around have any of the mineral still attached and vice versa which would definitively prove their natural geological association?
Maybe a case for the mineral ID test kit, ie harness, specific gravity, streak colour, fresh fracture type, roast smell, flame colour test etc.

Have you got a ceramic tile or similar about Phil. If so do a streak test on it.
If it's red I'd say you've got some hematite which is common in WA.
Hematite, an iron oxide, is the most common black or brownish-black mineral in sedimentary and low-grade metasedimentary rocks. It varies greatly in form and appearance, but all hematite produces a reddish streak.

Do any of the quartz pieces laying around have any of the mineral still attached and vice versa which would definitively prove their natural geological association?
Maybe a case for the mineral ID test kit, ie harness, specific gravity, streak colour, fresh fracture type, roast smell, flame colour test etc.
Black rock3.jpg

Black rock2.jpg

The rock is wet....

Last edited:

Latest posts