Bigger / Larger coil information

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gday, was wondering if there was much difference in depth performance on bigger gold between NF advantage 18" and 20".
This coil would supplement NF evo,s 14*9 and 15" spoke. Leaning towards the 20" not sure if the 18" is much of an improvement over the 15" evo (depth only).

Shouldn't you be looking at the newer flat wind bigger coils?
Don't have either myself but have considered getting one. Hopefully others with experience will add their thoughts.

From what I gather, the new flats are more sensitive to smaller gold, but offer no better depth, or even reduced depth in their bigger sizes. The 15" is about as much depth as you get from the evo,s.
I'm happy to give the small stuff a miss, if I'm digger big deep holes, I don't wanna find a tiny bit of rust at 16" deep. Or .3 at 12", happy to miss them. My other coils should pick those up anyway, this coil will be searching deeper ground for bigger targets I hope.
Cheers.
Also, can pick up 18" and 20" advantages much much cheaper than 18" elite or 19" nfevo.

I'm sure its a great coil john, but I'm not forking out $600 on another evo.
I can get an advantage for less a third of that, and from what I've been told, and from you to, that flat wound coils start losing advantages oncevthe get over 16 inches, as the winds must get smaller as the coil diameter gets larger.

Davent picked up an Advantage 18" on ebay brand new for $190 ........................ great buy and was from a top leading minelab dealer ............... nothing shonky.
Very happy with it ........................... especially for the dollars :) Nice weapon to have in the arsenal.

Also, I just got an old coiltek 17*11 and 14*9 nf advantage pretty cheap. The 17*11 is one I'm interested in, its a terracotta colored one, not sure if they were any good or not, from what I've read, a bit bump sensitive, anyone used them?

davent said:
Bigger, do have more?

Not sure if they have more ? Just watch ebay minelab coils and I tell a fib it was actually $190.50 :rolleyes: .................. but great coil for the price as even though not an Evo it's still no dud. Also being an open type is lighter to swing than the 15 Evo
Ebay seller was Miners Den Bendigo

Wasn't too long ago the Advantage series coils were the ants pants.
Obviously things change but they are still a very capable coil & even better when had cheaply.
You might need the 25" Dave :eek:

Thanks Nightjar,safe and happy easter to you also.
I have just ordered one from miners den, not that i can test it at the moment.Lol.
I have heard some good things about it and was keen to get some feedback on settings & performance for this beast.Cheers.

Welcome. I have used this combo before. You're going to need a bigger pick perhaps?! :p The dd is not as deep as the monos but are more stable in certain situations. :Y:
Maldons nice countryside, lucky you

maldongold said:
Thanks fellas,cant wait to get out with it.I have a few spots where i suspect deeper pieces to be just out of reach due to hot ground.

Best of luck with the search hope you're theory comes true :Y: Are you chasing the cousins of the one in your Avatar :perfect: can you tell us how that came to light its a ripper :power: :beer:

Hi maldongold, and welcome to the forum.

Yes, I run the NF 25 DD-X most times when I go out, on a 5000. Haven't found gold yet, but I absolutely love it. I've dug some monster holes at times, and I've even found some lead musket balls and other smallish junk with it a few hundred mm down. It became even more fun once I bought a solid skid plate for it, as the sticks and snag-ups prior to that were doing my head in. I've recently filled in the open segments with a light-weight foam as once I had the solid skid plate on, the dirt, stones, leaves and crap getting caught in the solid skid plate then did my head in :awful:

Now it's a beautiful looking solid NF 25", and everything was looking great until Covid-19, which is now going to make me wait god knows how long before I can get out with it again looking for deep biggies :D

Hello maldongold.

I have the GPX 4800 / NF 25X DD combo.

A while ago, with some mates, I compiled this "for fun" test of detectors and coils which you might find interesting...

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...ctor_and_coil_in_field_depth_test_results.pdf

If that link doesn't work try this one....

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=32051

Or - you can locate the topic in the "metal detecting for gold" index of the forum posts.

To answer your question about settings I have used anywhere from

General, Normal in factory preset modes but as a large DD I can open it's response with volume limit up, signal up and taget volume up - all just a little tweak.

Working off the side of diggings and away from deap lead areas I have dialled up the 4800 to the following -;

Deep
Special - Sharp
DD
Fixed tracking
Volume limit - Up x 2
Manual tune 70 - 90
Motion - Very Slow
RX gain - Up x 1 = 10
Audio - Deep
Stabilizer- Down to 2
Signal - Up x 2
Target Volume - Up x 4
Tracking - Slow

That you will find has it "fairly humming" !!
As a consequence the threshold is dialled down to still audible and pay no attention to the squarking.
You swing over metal it will tell you - no mistake!

And it is a 5 second 160 one direction swing ..

Cheers
stevewilko

Latest posts