Big Oaky Mine, Wattle Flat.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kuskus

Marcus
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm really keen to get to big oaky mine at wattle flat.

Has anyone been there? And could you send me sum directions from sofala rd? Can see any tracks to the mine.

Thanks

Warning: Always take someone who knows what they are doing to mines! Don't go alone. It's not my responsibility for anything that happens to you if you enter the mines. The roof can collapse, the ground and collapse, you could fall down a winze in the mine. I give myself a 50/50 chance of survival every time I go into a mine. Stay safe, stay out. But enjoy its surroundings. Be wary of mineshafts around any mines as they can be massively deep! This took me an hour to find, enjoy, and stay safe :)

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/71300964
http://heatgg.org.au/he/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Turon-Sofala-Rule-Map-with-legend.jpg

From another forum:
Whiskers
Big and Little Oakey Gold Mines, Wattle Flat
Click Search DIGS
Report Identification Number, R00042896
{Cut and paste R00042896 into Report Identification Number box. Then click Map (R00042896) above report description.}
Link: http://digsopen.minerals.nsw.gov.au/

Exact location of the mine: http://www.bonzle.com/c/a?a=p&p=313698&cmd=sp
It could be on private property, make sure you check first somehow.

Cheers atomrat, yeah heading up with another forum member so we'll watch each others backs

Yep Ive been in Big Oakey mine a couple of times, this is going back about 20 years ago. The entrance was partially blocked last time I went, looked like it was done on purpose.
Not a great deal to see once in there, was a set of cart tracks that go in about 50 odd feet which opens into a large room where there are remnants of a large rusty boiler.
The main vertical shaft is flooded and rumour has it it was down this shaft they were getting alot of gold but they couldnt pump the water out fast enough, they had hit a underground spring, so it was abandoned. Have to be very careful getting to it as there are lots of deep vertical shafts around the area.
Its not real easy to find from the main road due to private property and if its wet you will need a 4wd as the red earth just turns to slosh.
Also be careful as a few dirt access roads in the area use to be public but are now private and the locals will not hesitate to chase you off :)

Id imagine you might find a small piece or two if your lucky, you would probably do better with a pan as its right on the creek. There was also a stamper outside the mine but I think its gone now. I'm actually in the process of finding out what areas out there are private and public land, as on the same access road it takes you out to Surface hill where there are alot old old diggings, and some good gold was found there.

Stevo sounds like you hit that area a bit or you know it quite well, when are you doing a trip their?

I've checked it out on Google earth and the ground around it is red as s@&t but my plan was to hit the river right below it, just got the AM Boss sluice so gunna give that a crack their.

I've got doug Stones maps of the area and they mark out the public land but the problem is the big oaky is on public land as well as the river but it's surrounded by private land, it's got a 4x4 track but never been able to locate it.

To be honest Ive never seen a road go down to the mine, there might be whats left of one but never saw it, I just used to walk down the hill to it thru the bush. A mate of mine used to live spittin distance from the mine and I use to leave my car at his place, he sold up about 10 years ago and moved into town like I did. I have the stone maps as well but I think they are wrong in regard to whats public and private access, thats what Im looking into.
I think you might have trouble running a sluice on the big oakey creek, its usually stagnate most times of the year with the odd few puddles of water, only time its flowing is when it rains but it drys up pretty quick there after.

Cool thanks for the info, I won't lug the sluice down but ill sure take the pan.
I'm sure ill find a track down their it only 800m from sofala rd.
Might have to try talk to a local.

Stevo mate have you got any advice on where we should try around their, don't mind if I have to hike a bit, better gold away from the crowds

Mate anywhere up or down the creek, probably more so down the creek from the mine.

Cheers, is there any 4x4 track or walking tracks from sofala rd down to the river?

Yeah I really wanna check it out, even if its up or down the creek I don't mind the track

Its been a long time since I was there last and I dont remember a track down to the mine, Id imagine there must of been one at some stage to cart the stuff down to and up from the mine.

Nar I didn't, went to hill end with some other fourm members.

Defiantly keen to hit it still, have you any insider info? If not we can set a recon mission up if your interested in trying to get down there.

It's in the gold belt just on the other side of the mountains. Near sofala, Hill End ect

I went there not long ago but I don't recommend it. To get there you need to go over private property which is now all fenced and gated. The guy who owns the land near it doesn't want people on his property anymore due to people causing damage and leaving gates open. You won't get a car down there and its a rough walk. The mine entrance is closed off now too so there isn't much to see there. Better off trying the common on the other side of Wattle Flat.

Latest posts