Big Nuggets Still Around?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good point davent....not sure Id let out a kg plus find to the public. Reckon youd get some unwanted attention and new friends! It is interesting to hear about large finds for the historical focus though.

Yes, I guess when I find my 963kg nugget it is going to be impossible to avoid unwanted attention.
I wounder how I am going to go with the nsw regulations??? But as they read, Mining regulations NSW 2010 Clause 12 Section 3 paragraph (d) 5 nuggets of 10 grams or greater of gold, means it should be legal to take!!!!! :) and I can take up to 4 more of these in the same trip...lol

this extract from the WA Dept of Mines

Prospecting in WA
Prospecting activities
Miners Right holders are authorised to carry out the following activities on Crown land not covered by a granted mining tenement:
prospect for minerals, which includes the use of a metal detector
conduct tests for minerals
undertake limited sampling using hand-held equipment and remove samples weighing up to 20 kilograms
mark out mining tenements
fossick for rocks and gemstones
camp for the purpose of prospecting.
http://www.dmp.wa.gov.au/Minerals/What-can-you-do-when-prospecting-2422.aspx

In WA we cant legally take (unless you have a Lease) any nugget or total over 20kg.
I'd be happy with just a Kilo or 2 :goldnugget: :goldnugget: :playful:

Ded Driver said:
this extract from the WA Dept of Mines

Prospecting in WA
Prospecting activities
Miners Right holders are authorised to carry out the following activities on Crown land not covered by a granted mining tenement:
prospect for minerals, which includes the use of a metal detector
conduct tests for minerals
undertake limited sampling using hand-held equipment and remove samples weighing up to 20 kilograms
mark out mining tenements
fossick for rocks and gemstones
camp for the purpose of prospecting.
http://www.dmp.wa.gov.au/Minerals/What-can-you-do-when-prospecting-2422.aspx

In WA we cant legally take (unless you have a Lease) any nugget or total over 20kg.
I'd be happy with just a Kilo or 2 :goldnugget: :goldnugget: :playful:

Mate if you find one that too heavy for you just send me a pm and I'll help you get it sorted :) :Y: :p don't want to be reading a post that says you've done your back :lol:

If you look at the historical records of large nuggets found in the GT most were found below detector depth, as Steve has said there are probably a lot more still in the ground than have been recovered. The next big one may be just a few inches deeper than your detector can read.

The gold on display at Sovereign Hill { Hand of Faith, Welcome Stranger ,etc } are all copies for display purposes only and not the real thing ,aren`t they ?
Imagine if someone broke in a pinched the real gold. History would be lost and the gold melted down,sold and never recovered.
From memory ,most of the big gold finds were sold or melted down after moulds were taken of them ,bar one piece . Can`t remember which one,but i remember reading about it in the GG & T magazine a few years` ago.

just starting said:
The gold on display at Sovereign Hill { Hand of Faith, Welcome Stranger ,etc } are all copies for display purposes only and not the real thing ,aren`t they ?
Imagine if someone broke in a pinched the real gold. History would be lost and the gold melted down,sold and never recovered.
From memory ,most of the big gold finds were sold or melted down after moulds were taken of them ,bar one piece . Can`t remember which one,but i remember reading about it in the GG & T magazine a few years` ago.
No, the Bolte Bequest buys gold nuggets for display of up to 100's of ounces gold each - and they are on display. This includes Goldasaurus:

http://sovereignhill.com.au/gold-museum-ballarat/goldasaurus/

Sometimes they display nuggets on loan from elsewhere (the largest I saw being a $1 million nugget from WA).

Those from last century were destroyed at that time, and the Hand of Faith is not held by Sovereign Hill.

I kid you not (I helped value one)

Latest posts