big brothers 10dollar river sluice for little gem hunter

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all made my sister (little gem hunter) this ten dollar river sluice that she can throw in the river to use hope it work if not have some other ideas for it.
What's your thoughts don't be worried I take constructive criticism. Thanks fishing for gold
1476172011_win_20161011_18_37_01_pro.jpg

1476172127_win_20161011_18_34_05_pro.jpg

1476172235_win_20161011_18_37_16_pro.jpg

1476172435_win_20161011_18_37_24_pro.jpg

Good work looking after your little sister mate :)

I may be wrong but the heavies won't have a huge area to be trapped in as it will concentrate at the bottom of the V's and potentially wash out if it gets overloaded.
Conventional cross riffles would be better, but I assume you sourced this as it was handy.
Maybe diggin for gold could print up some of his own design ones for you if you asked him really nicely :)

Yea sisters happy.
I thought I would try the matting that's in it first to see how it gos and I have matting that gos from side to side but thought I would try to be a bit different
The riffles are 10mm wide by 5 mm deep might catch a couple of pickers. Lol if this matting don't work will change the matting over to the side to side one.
This is the other matting.
1476179665_win_20161011_20_48_21_pro.jpg

Well done. Good to see you are having a crack at making your own sluice. I can't help with ideas as I am just starting out myself but it is a great learning experience when you do it yourself. If LGH is more into gems a good quality sieve set will help no end. Then you could run the cons through your sluice and hopefully catch the gold. I was at Daylesford today trying out my new sieves and it was much easier to catch the bigger gems than just panning them.

Thanks for that my sister conned sieves out of dad. Yea my sister is right into gems I said she can have all the gems she catches and I get the yellow as I built the sluice.lol
Thanks ffg

Good plan. Win win. I hope she finds some nice sapphires soon. There's plenty of small ones around Daylesford ;)

Yea Hope she finds some sapphires soon.she found a blue moon stone the other day when we were there.
Not much gold for me though lol. One little picker

Hi all did my first test run of the river sluice today six garden spades full of some cons I had at home. All ran to the point of the v and ran to the next one and so on. Caught about six specs of gold but don't know how much escaped out of it. So came home and changed over my mat set up to the cross riffles. Sister loves it. hope it catches the gold better with this matting
Will put photo up of us testing it with the other matting on later. But heres a photo of the new mat setup. Regards fishing for gold
1476267229_win_20161012_21_00_06_pro.jpg

That should work better mate, I didn't mean to rain on your parade, but those V's were going to wash all the cons out.
You just need to look at commercially sold units, and copy them to some degree.
That 90 degree rubber matt you have looks better but watch it's catch rate as it doesn't have sharp edges to it's back edges, and could allow a smoother water flow than what is desired. That will catch gold, but you may loose some.
BTW Top marks for being a great big brother.

The V's looked nice, but are not very useful.

That looks a lot better! Hopefully you find some gold mate :)

Good water flow and an angle of about 6 degrees to 8 degrees should get you some gold.
(what do others think? it's a good way to start with out losing too much out the back)

Hi all tested river sluice today as little sister couldn't wait any longer.
We went and tested it with about 5l of cons did very well and caught alot of black sand and around 15 to20 specks not bad for first run.
1476434356_win_20161014_19_36_15_pro.jpg

Latest posts