Beware Photobucket

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just a heads up to those people that use photobucket, they have changed their terms and conditions for users. There is no longer free linking for 3rd party website hosting. :N:
This means that if you have photos on photobucket and you have linked them to a website such as PA or any other forum/blog they will disappear and this is what you will see

I think they will have some serious legal challengers to this but the average blogger will be forced to pay up the $400-00us to reinstate their photos
cheers Keith

That's why I don't bother uploading photos onto such sites anymore, instead upload them straight onto the forum. They rope you in and hold you for ransom with demands of fees, they have to remember that they would be nothing if it weren't for the public providing photos in the first place. Is there no end to greed in this world??? :|

Thanks for the heads up...Will remove whats there over to my photo album. Cheers :Y:

I wasn't aware we could upload straight from our own files. I'll be giving that a go from now on :D :Y:

Much easier to upload pics using the blue button in the toolbar at the top of the page (inbetween the pdf and quote buttons). ;)

Unfortunately there are some forums that only allow links to photo hosting sites vs direct uploads, usually the overseas detecting forums.

Hmmm not good, this is going to throw a spanner in the works. I've always uploaded to the forum as well but there are going to be dead links to pics in posts everywhere.

Must have been photobuckets plan all along, get em addicted then add a fee. :(

Well as a small business owner I can see where they are coming from, every business needs to make a profit, otherwise, they just don't exist.

Do you all go to work every day and provide your services free of charge (while incurring costs)?
I certainly don't.

$400 seems way over the top though.

imgur is the go, free and works well. Makes you wonder how much longer photobucket will survive. uploading to the forum does cost the forum storage space to host the pictures.

Regards,
Tote

Heatho said:
Hmmm not good, this is going to throw a spanner in the works. I've always uploaded to the forum as well but there are going to be dead links to pics in posts everywhere.

Must have been photobuckets plan all along, get em addicted then add a fee. :(

Agreed, have tons of photo's with other web sites with classic cars all with photo bucket, dam them not paying a cent and will close my account. :N:

well this sucks as i have thousands of photos linking to god knows where lol, was definitely planned all along but i doubt its the best marketing plan as no ones going to be paying them, most people now will just go download the photos and abandon their accounts including me

Tote said:
imgur is the go, free and works well. Makes you wonder how much longer photobucket will survive. uploading to the forum does cost the forum storage space to host the pictures.

imgur used to work well when it was just a free picture host, but it's changed into an image-based social media site, sort of a Tumblr/Snapchat hybrid.

My free photobucket account is still working as it used to with embedded links. Is it just new content they are doing this with or all content?

grubstake said:
Tote said:

imgur used to work well when it was just a free picture host, but it's changed into an image-based social media site, sort of a Tumblr/Snapchat hybrid.

It still works alright as a gallery service though, you can set your account up so it doesn't display to the public galleries.

I've noticed a lot of ebay ads have that symbol showing.
Looks like they were aiming at the people who were using it for their own commercial purposes.

bend said:
grubstake said:
Tote said:

It still works alright as a gallery service though, you can set your account up so it doesn't display to the public galleries.

So it's account-based now? In the past, I've only used imgur for upload and link - no account necessary - which was super convenient for forums that don't have an image storage facility like PA does.

Latest posts