Best Gold Detecting locations W.A or S.A

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I,m coming over to your awesome country from NZ for a unknown length of time and would like to hear from forum members their thoughts on which state would be the better option for a greenhorn kiwi to try his luck.
I am swinging a Minelab sdc 2300 and a Marko Gold Racer. Your thoughts will be greatly appreciated.
Cheers xterra gold

Be more inclined to choose either WA, NSW, or VIC
A lot depends on what gear apart from detectors you have. Vehicle, camping or accommodation arrangements etc, plus bush experience etc

Thanks for your input Madtuna. At this stage my thoughts are of purchasing a smallish campervan and going bush. I have had plenty of outdoor experience in NZ as l have been a keen hunter and fisherman. Weather or not that translates into similar experience in Aus or not l don't know !
I am definitely leaning towards the Golden Triangle area at this stage as l have a daughter living in Melbourne that l want to catch up with. In particular l have been looking at Maryborough and surrounding areas.
If there are any forum members in those areas that l can meet up with that would be prepared to go out detecting with a greenhorn kiwi that would be fantastic.
Once again any thoughts or ideas will be appreciated.
Cheers xterragold

Maryborough Victoria is a great place to spend some time prospecting, the town is surrounded by gold bearing areas with easy access and a history of producing a lot of gold. You could spend months in this area alone and still just scratch the surface. Whether you will find anything is up to the gold gods but it is a nice town even if you come home empty handed.

I was South Australia recently and theres some great looking prospects there.
Not so great for traveling through as the rules go, all minerals belong to the state!
You can find them and hold on to them but cant sell them. So taking them out of the state would be stealing!
Matt T

Hi shakergt, curious as to how the laws are tougher in Aus than in NZ ? I would have thought that if I have a prospecting license that I would be covered ! Is this correct or not ? God l hope it is as this is my motivation for my visit !
Cheers x-terragold

Xterra Gold said:
Hi shakergt, curious as to how the laws are tougher in Aus than in NZ ? I would have thought that if I have a prospecting license that I would be covered ! Is this correct or not ? God l hope it is as this is my motivation for my visit !
Cheers x-terragold

I think shakergt was referring to hunting with firearms. Just stick to prospecting with the detector and you will be alright.

Cheers

Doug

Xterra Gold said:
Cheers x-terragold
Each state has different rules here Xterra. They are all workable but some states better than others. Victoria & WA are probably the best.
Work out what state/s you're going to go to for sure then concentrate on finding out about the rules for them, what permits/miners rights required etc.
WA country is vastly different from what you would experience in NZ. May be best to enquire about some tag along tours or similar if heading over there. The permit system has two tiers in WA also. You need a miners right but then will need a 40E permit if wanting to get onto ground under exploration lease/s. There is at least a 21 day waiting period before getting onto that land once granted.

Ship of fools said:
I was South Australia recently and theres some great looking prospects there.
Not so great for traveling through as the rules go, all minerals belong to the state!
You can find them and hold on to them but cant sell them. So taking them out of the state would be stealing!
Matt T
That's why no one ever finds much here, wink wink. Having said that though much easier going in QLD and the other mainland states.

Hi mbasko, at this stage of the plan I'm pretty sure that l will be going to the Golden Triangle area as my daughter lives in Melbourne. I have just purchased John Tully maps of Dunolloy and Maryborough districts. They haven't arrived yet but I am looking forward to reading them. Yeah l have been finding as much info as l can before l venture over.
Cheers Xterragold

Xterra, if you are as fair dinkum and down to earth as most of the Kiwi's I have had the pleasure of meeting, then you will get on great where ever you go :Y:
I spent a few weeks travelling around the South Island playing rugby many moons ago and the people were great. At rugby as well :)
Have a great time over here and I hope you are shown the same hospitality as I was, when I got to explore a little bit of your backyard :cool:
Cheers,
Billy.

Thanks for the big ups Billy. Great to hear you enjoyed your time over here in the South Island. I lived up in Queensland a number of years ago and had a fantastic time!!
That was many moons ago and now retirement is knocking on the door. I have made it a goal to come over and have a crack at the gold. I have been fossicking and hunting gold over here for only about three years and l absolutely love the thrill and excitement of hitting a good target and sometimes it's a good one sometimes not.
Kiwis and Aussies have got a special friendship l believe and nearly all the Aussies l know are good buggers. I can hardly wait for the time to come when l am over there going hard on the detecting.
Thanks to all for the info !
Cheers X-terragold

Xterra Gold said:
Hi mbasko, at this stage of the plan I'm pretty sure that l will be going to the Golden Triangle area as my daughter lives in Melbourne. I have just purchased John Tully maps of Dunolloy and Maryborough districts. They haven't arrived yet but I am looking forward to reading them. Yeah l have been finding as much info as l can before l venture over.
Cheers Xterragold
You can get a 10 year Victorian Miners Right here for $24.20AUD:
http://earthresources.vic.gov.au/ea..._DESIGN_NAME=mobile&SQ_ACTION=set_design_name
Plenty of info around for Victoria & once you're over here let the forum members know. Someone should be able to help you out locally.

Agree with mbasko get over here and start a thread in the Members section and we'll do our best to get you going.

Hi RM Outback and Marko, great feedback thanks very much. I have made the decision to base myself in the Maryborough area and explore from there. Plan is to buy a campervan of some description and park up out bush. Will buy any bits and pieces that l may need once l am over there. I,m researching info every day and what l have found on this forum is proving to be really useful and helpful info from members.
The days can't go quick enough until l get there !!
Cheers X-Terragold

Latest posts