Best affordable gold detector

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi
Newbie here. We are starting prospecting as well as mining and panning for gold in Southern Africa and i wanted to know a few things

1) Where online is the best place to buy second hand mining equipment like detectors etc

2) What is the best cheap/affordable detector for gold detection. We are mostly interested in detecting deposits so we know where to mine, We have a licence that covers a whole province

I would also appreciate any general advice, dos and donts of the gold mining/trading game

Much appreciated

Thank you

There are a few to choose from, I would go with the Whites MXT All Pro or the GMT, and the Makro Gold Racer and Nokta Gold Plus, and the Nokta AU Finder, or the Fisher Gold Bug II and the Fisher F75 and lastly the Garrett AT Gold,

John.

You really need to get local advice for a lot of your questions i.e. do's & don't's, trading etc. Laws & practices vary considerably from one country to another.
I have read a lot of info on detecting in Africa & relatively cheap VLF machines such as Gold Bug Pro, Fisher F19, Teknetics G2+ etc. all seem to be successful there.
http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/2344-better-gold-detector-for-africa/

And just in case you ask - no I won't send you a detector using Western Union or some other such money gram thingy :D

You get what you pay for. :) :)
All of the above detectors are very good at what they do but,
Do you want to miss any thing owing to many variables that are
too extensive to go into.
Best option in any case,
GPX 4500
Not the most expensive detector but a very highly capable
machine that gives you a very wide diverse range to contend with.
And no, I too will not send you one either. LOL
There is a market place for them in Africa.
Besides, If you already have a mining lease to work with,
The cost of the machine should not be a problem.

Re your Thread title " Best affordable Detector" Some years ago the 4500 had been released for around a year, I was still using the Minelab 3500, my wife the Minelab 3000, we went back to a patch we had found previously and there were quite a few more dig holes in the patch. I wondered then what we had missed and would have picked up if we had the latest detector ie the 4500. We subsequently upgraded our 2 machines to 4500's.

Even as a retire're, I value my (and wife's) spare time so the purchase of the best affordable detector adds to our enjoyment out in the bush.

If your hunting tiny stringers of gold nothing beats a Gold Bug 2 if the machine can be ground balanced in the ground your working. I know some pocket hunters that do well with the GB2's every summer.

Latest posts