Bellows puffer style drywasher plans

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Given the size of the bellows having a smaller air box at the top would have given it tremendous air pressure beneath the riffles but I can't really test it properly until I get it all setup.

Yes I agree that the benefit of having a smaller air box would be to increase the pressure , if for arguments sake the air box was way too big the air would compress a fair bit rather than push up through the resistance of the cloth and dirt . this obviously wouldn't be an issue with a blower because of the volume of continuous air.
Anyway started the build today in some spare time and am following the design of yours fairly closely but am making it up out of what's at hand ,the concept of attaching the riffle box and top of bellows directly onto the flat surface of the metal frame will make it easy to get good air seal and the clips will be easy also. I reckon I've got everything I need including motor, pully's and battery.

was wondering what the rubber off an old tractor tube would be like for the bellows? thoughts anyone?
cheers. flash

Hey flashinthepan cant wait to see your build. Sounds like you have a retro build on yoir hands. I reckon rubber woukd absorb a bit of the pressure but I woukd expect it will depend on air mass available in the box. Guess you coukd build it amd find out, id probably gp for something a little more solid myself like leather or oiled canvas.

Where can I get a large pulley wheel like this one:

1407051985_image.jpg

Keene are selling this kit for US$209 + Freight.

http://www.keeneeng.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=DW12C&Category_Code=DW

Surely a large pulley wheel doesn't cost that much?

Id be hitting the markets mate I quite often see pulleys with the used tools. With that keene mate yiu get the whole setup inc motor that not bad really.

Just another thought I did see some measuring wheels very cheap recently think it was at bunnings. I would think a wheel designed to be rolled along the ground would be pretty sturdy.

Hey gcause,

Pulleys are readily available at most bearing supply shops, like CBC and SKF stores. You give them the size you want and they get it along with belts you may require.

Still, that Keene kit looks pretty good and takes all the hassle out of finding individual bits......if it was me, I would just get that kit.

Look forward to seeing pics of your blower as it progresses.

Cheers,

Using a wiper motor would be the ducks nuts.
For those electrically minded use a PWM circuit driving a 30 amp electronic relay.
You would have all the speed control that you can use and does not draw much more amps to run.
I would use it to drive the high speed side of the motor as by past experience burning out the low speed side under load is quite easy too do as it gets hot.
Any way, Each to their own. :) :)

Give blackwoods a call, theyve got mountains of engineering supplies. Otherwise you could pull one from an old powersteering pump, depending on the diameter you need.

It's called RulerPhone.

It's very handy as you just place a credit card sized object onto the thing you want to measure and take a photo.

Then align the blue square in the app with the credit card sized object and it will then work out the dimensions of anything in the photo.

Here's the link to the free version. The free version is limited in the size it can measure but the paid version is only $5.

https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/rulerphone-free-photo-measuring/id290516007?mt=8

If it helps anyone iv noticed jaycar sell 12v motors with a gearbox 'they sell a lot actually.

Been doing some more work on my Dry Washer. Got the legs on it. Hmmm that angle doesn't look right. :8

Now how should that hopper box sit on it, hmmm needs a steeper angle:

1413236359_img_0559.png

Heres how I attached the legs, I wanted to have adjustable legs and a good thing I did given that angle on my first go:

1413236359_img_0560.png

Ok thats a better angle:

1413236359_img_0564.png

Nope still need to go steeper on the hopper box:

1413236359_img_0561.png

Getting there slowly. :D

good work mate, love seeing that old beats coming to life. I was reading yesterday about the angle for bellows drywashers and apparently the accepted angle id 5 inches per foot. looks like your right on the money.

Latest posts