Bellows puffer style drywasher plans

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Recovery rate? Well I guess there's a lot to consider Dryness, bellows speed and force, angle & hopper feed?
Probably still more that will affect recovery rate but whatever it is I'm happy with as I know my self the longer I spend setting up and use it correctly the more gold in the box.

I dried a bucket of Rushworth dirt and it held some very fine flakes' to me that was impressive but even if it makes it through the cloth I'm sweeping the inside of the bellows out.

How hot does a wiper motor run??
I've got one with the the intention of making a bellows dry blower.
I hooked it up just to see the speed of the rotation but when handling it it seemed pretty warm / hot.

Dug, it depends on the brand name (quality of manufacturing). It seems that some older makes are better at handling loads so they won't warm/get hot real quick, not like the new low quality builds. Some people suggest drilling holes around the magnetic area to help dissipate the heat. Don't know but unless you cover the motor real well you're asking for dirt getting inside and this is not good.
Also I got two wiper motors one is of an old truck the other from a new car, the older but slower motor handled load and didn't warm up quick. The newer one got hot very quickly even without any load on it :eek:
Could be a manufacturing fault :(

I ordered three motors from the us last year when i was planning on making up some bellows drywashers. after alot of research pretty much confirmed what Geo2 has said, some motors are designed for very fast action with little power and little torque for example a suzuki swift small window round curve V's a Nissan GQ patrol Flat screen large windows expected to move a lot of water under heavy rain (gq motors are perfect), what you want is a high torque to push against the air pressure in your box.

these are rate at :
Rated torque: 53 in-lb
Stall torque: 177 in-lb
Unload high speed: 50rpm, 1.5A (12VDC)
Unload low speed: 35rpm, 1.0A (12VDC)

If you cant find one mate i'm happy to part with one of the three i ordered, i'm not likely to build mine in the next 3 months.

1433977311_20150611_0855561.jpg

Agree with G0lddigg@, if we talking about power needs for a trommel the perfect combination would be a low RPM high torque motor. But in the case of bellow type dry washer, then you need the speed, so a high RPM motor is required to lift the bellows quick enough to allow air circulation. Since bellows are not that heavy a high torque won't be needed and I am talking about portable dry washers that is one person can handle. Another point to consider is the low power consumption, a high torque motor requires more juice to
run ;) That means lugging a heavy Battery which is not you need to do especially in rough terrains. Smaller motors which can handle a small portable dry washer will not consume a lot of electricity meaning less weight to carry in the field. It's a kind of compromise, so to speak. Good Luck.

Great info guys a lot of research time saved there ,thanks very much ,I'd definately buy a wiper motor off you goldigg@ that's an extremely generous offer.

Glad you found a good match :D
Mate if you or any one need a gear motor you can find one , here, although these are from the states and that involves shipping and waiting ...etc But just for the cause. These are 12v high torque dc gear motor .

Some motors on this page are very good for a bellows dry washer build :D
Look for RPM numbers not more than 100 , this reduces the need for a speed controller, simpler setup means less parts to worry about ;)

http://www.sciplus.com/s/c_15/sf_139

Another good one:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...field-keywords=12v+high+torque+dc+motor+gear+

Good Luck !

Hi Lads
I have 12v keene puffer,I will meter the motor to see how much power it draws,then you can work out wattage for the motor,along with the pulley size.
The Keene has a speed control which is very good because you have to adjust the speed for the type material you are working.
A speed controls are cheap.

Regards Frank

no doubt they run high RPM 1250 RPM sounds bit far out there, but there's no reason to go that hard, they use a huge drive wheel so it needs to move this. why not use a smaller wheel with lower rpm?

maybe i'm missing something

drywasher-keene-dw212v-puffer-electric-186x274.jpg

I timed one on a vid ,the end result is around the 2 beats a second mark .It seems to be around the norm ,Thompson drywasher much the same.

Generally the old style wiper motors had 2 speeds.
Slow then flat out.
You supplied 12v to one wire then switched between the other two giving two speeds.
Nowadays they utilize electronics called a PWM controller.
Much cheaper to produce and as expensive as all get out to replace.
Though I will say that Pulse Width Modulation is the ducks nuts way to control a D.C. motor.
I have been watching this thread with great interest but over here in this area, The soil does not dry out enough to run one.
Keep it up. :D

Dug,that is the speed of the keene flat out, but I cut it back to about 90 beats a minute,with the speed control.
Golddigg I think that the Keene is designed so as they can use as smaller motor as possible so they can get long life from the battery,
I think a lot of these things are suck and see and I am sure you would feel the same,things do not go as we imagine.

Regards Frank

your not wrong Frank, and Keene are well known for supplying "hobby quality" engineering solutions that tend to bust when pushed too hard.

excited to see some members builds in this thread .... might have got the juices flowing to build one myself....

Hi Golddigg
Yes Keene are quality hobby prospecting equipment,but it all depends on what we need,which the little blower covers all my needs,which being able to move it easily.
Regards Frank

hey Frank not having a crack at your unit mate, Ive use the 140 they are great little units especially due to they fact they fit in a wheel barrow just not high volume. I was referring to the style of building i.e. using a cheap motor vs a good one.

Latest posts