Belanglo State Forest Gold

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone know if their is gold in the belanglo state forest in the southern highlands as my mate has a 50 hectare property, and I was wondering if their is any gold in the area.

The area is known to have bauxite , kaolin , gold and other industrial / construction materials such as granite and sand quarries

If I know the street he is on I could give you more precise info.

It is worth spending a day or two on it with a detector and a gold pan.

Even if the gold maps dont show it was found on your mates farm , that means nothing because many gold finds went unreported , because the prospectors back in the goldrush either didnt trust govt , didnt speak English , or didnt have their mobile phone with them on the day ;)

CreviceSucker said:
The area is known to have bauxite , kaolin , gold and other industrial / construction materials such as granite and sand quarries

If I know the street he is on I could give you more precise info.

It is worth spending a day or two on it with a detector and a gold pan.

Even if the gold maps dont show it was found on your mates farm , that means nothing because many gold finds went unreported , because the prospectors back in the goldrush either didnt trust govt , didnt speak English , or didnt have their mobile phone with them on the day ;)
Does it really have gold - I am surprised, although I am not familiar with the area? I would have thought that they were young rocks of the Sydney Basin, formed later than the last of the gold deposits, and a very unprospective area for gold. There is gold in some of the Boyd Volcanics to the south at Yalwal, but I thought the rocks at Belanglo were younger again (the coal bearing sequence of the Sydney Basin, devoid of gold).