Beach Prospecting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Even though this book was written for the U.S the information holds good for us here as well. Cheers

Taken from.
How to mine and prospect for placer gold / by J.M. West. West, John M.

http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015078456731;view=1up;seq=39

1453068110_1.png

1453068148_2.png

Hey heres a though at the bottom of page one they describe a way of prospecting. Has any one tried this around the W.A cost or QLD for that matter?

There are quite a few beach gold and platinum deposits in NSW, I saw a vid of some yanks running a highbanker on a beach in America on youtube a couple of years back.

Yes indeed i have heard the same it would be interesting to know if anyone has had a go at them hey.

I haven't sluiced or highbanked any beaches but I'd really like to try sometime, I really can't see the problem with it as there are no stream banks to destroy, no snakes, just sand really, easy to fill holes in, actually even the tide would fix it for you pretty much. Some deposits were reasonably rich too.

I'm pretty sure you're right Matt that most are in NP's but I thought up to the high tide line was fair game unless they are marine sanctuaries too??

Here's some stuff I panned from a local beach here in Sydney which has an old volcanic headland that is quite heavilly mineralised. I have no idea what the metalic tail is but I'd love to find out what it is as this was from only about 1/8 of a 10 litre bucket that I collected while detecting there one day, there is quite a decent black sand layer there, also some hot rocks that are full of iron too.

All very interesting stuff.

1453110033_1429784299_20150423_172027.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=150714#p150714

Hi,
I tryed two hand full of black sand from 90 mile beach Vic. On the free camp spot at Seaspray.
Ich found 40 mini little tiny bits.
Ok, they are very little, but still Gold.

Cheers Jens

I've had a few pans at tge beach and found just some black heavies. I've often wondered what rules and regulations are for beach prospecting? Can we do it? Is beach crown or something else? If its legal, can we set up a 'tide sluice' like mentioned in jembas text above or do we breach rules such as environmental damage or disturbing oceanic / beach animal habitat etc? Can we highbank the beach..etc

I have no clue about the ol beach rules but to me its only been a place for 'fossicking' actions. I've found many gems along beaches like chalcedony, calcite, citrine crystal, silicon dioxide etc and know they hold some fun stuff!

Hitting a high eroded bank that's been cut out after a big storm would probably yield something nice at times

trove has a lot of records of gold from aussie beaches... there was gold from oldbar near taree wayback.. they used copper plates and mercury to capture the very,very fine micro gold.. I suspect that the gold maybe coming out of the sandhills being eroded by the waves.. :)

AtomRat said:
I have no clue about the ol beach rules but to me its only been a place for 'fossicking' actions. I've found many gems along beaches like chalcedony, calcite, citrine crystal, silicon dioxide etc and know they hold some fun stuff! Hitting a high eroded bank that's been cut out after a big storm would probably yield something nice at times

I have not heard of any it may be an area they have overlooked....... :D ......but i think there would be something somewhere you can bet on it. Jemba

Latest posts