Beach detecting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kleinman98

John Kleinman
Reaction score
One I found on tuesday at Warrain beach with the ATX.
1418505829_image.jpg

Probably old news for you Kleinman.
History

The area surrounding Culburra was originally called Wheelers Point after the first land holder George Wheeler. Land devleoper Henry Halloran renamed the area Culburra in the mid 1910s, which has an Aboriginal meaning of sand.

image007 HistoryThe township of Culburra was designed by Walter Burley Griffin, the architect who designed Canberra.

The original lighthouse at Crookhaven Heads was constructed of timber in 1882 and located as part of the Shoalhaven Pilot Station with a Mr. Thomas Bishop being the first operator.

A new lighthouse to the south of the mouth of the Shoalhaven River was built in 1904 and the old wooden lighthouse was demolished.

The Jerrinja community now situated at Orient Point had a settlement at the base of Berry Mountain north of the Shoalhaven River and were then moved to Orient Point in the first Grant of Land to an Aboriginal community in Australia in the early 1900s.

After World War II, when the freedom of movement given by the motor car and the introduction of 4 weeks holidays meant coastal villages, such as Culburra became popular venues for both holidays and retirement.

From The Canberra Times Friday 22 January 1954
NAVAL VESSEL STILL AGROUND
The 90-ton naval ship, a gene- ral purpose vessel, is still aground on Culburra Beach, 15 miles from Nowra. H.M.A.S. Cootamundra again made an unsuccessful attempt to float her at high tide this afternoon. She broke two tow ropes trying to pull the vessel into deep water.

image001 300x225 HistoryShoalhaven Local Environmental Heritage items in the area are:
Moongate to former Culburra Guesthouse Site: 196 Penguins Head Road Culburra Beach.
Penguin Head Geological Site: Penguins Head Road Culburra.
Crookhaven Lighthouse Complex: Prince Edward Avenue Crookhaven Heads.

Collated by Cathy Dunn for the Culburra Beach Progress Association.

Ramjet said:
Nice looking ring John. How does the ATX handle the beach?
the ATX is great on the beach but a pain when sand gets in the slides. Waiting on a stainless scoop from Canada that should be better in the shallows. The shovel is like a big paddle in the surf but really the best on the beach.

Kleinman when you get the stainless scoop you'll be off and racing.
I got one made in QLD and I wondered how I ever managed with a modified plastic shovel. Nothing like the sound of a coin or ring rattling around in the scoop as you wash the sand out.

Yeeeeah boi nice find mate!

Btw make sure you flush out inside the coil shaft with fresh water if it has been in the ocean as the salt eats away the rubber coating on the coil lead.

Latest posts